Home made bread
Homemade Bread Recipe
This homemade bread recipe comes down the family tree from my great grandmother, born 1881. It came down to my great aunt Portia, then to my mother, then to me. It is a very satisfying homemade bread recipe that fills the house full of that best of all scents - the fresh smell of homemade bread. It is easy to do, but does require a few hour pause to let the dough rise. I usually make it late in the morning or around lunch, let it rise in the afternoon, and can have fresh hot homemade biscuits out of the oven for supper.

HOMEMADE BREAD
1 cup sweet milk (I use whole milk)
1/2 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 teasp salt
1 package dry yeast or 1 yeast cake
1/4 cup lukewarm water (comfortable to wrist)
4 1/2 cups flour

Scald milk (that means heat until beginning to boil at the edge of pan--do not boil)
Combine with shortening and sugar and stir until shortening melts (I don't stir all the time--just frequently)
Put aside to cool completely.
Put eggs in large bowl (I use mix master bowl), beat at high speed.
Add cooled milk mixture and salt
Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and add to mixture.
Reduce speed of mixer and add flour.

Cover and let rise until double in size. (I put it near the pilot light of the stove--but not too close)

When doubled in size--pour out onto floured board and kneed. I find the mix master doesn't do as good as by hand, but if you have a kneading attachment for your Mixmaster, give it a shot.

Now, the way I made biscuits is as follows: I melt the butter. Then I roll out a ball of dough about the diameter of a nickel. Between a nickel and a quarter. Then I roll it in butter. Put 3 of those balls down inside of each biscuit "hole" in your biscuit pan. The reason I like this is it makes it more buttery and the biscuits break apart nicely when you are eating them. But do it as you wish. Let stand before cooking about 1 1/2 hours. Each pan of rolls needs to be covered with a light dishtowel. Bank at 350 until brown. It is important that you cover the dough as the recipe says. You can lightly brown the rolls and freeze them--then finish browning then when you eat them later. The recipe can be doubled with no problem.

momof23goats

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Louise, do you mean a muffin pan? and this is making dinner rolls right?

louise

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:35 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either, or. They gave both examples