Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The CookBook

Aunt Mary Doughnuts
    The Woman's Club Cook Book
    of Tried & True Recipes
    San Antonio, Texas
    Date Unknown
    Three eggs beaten light, one and half cup of flour, half cup of butter, one cup sweet milk, three tsp. baking powder sifted with flour, enough to make dough stiff enough to roll; add spice, roll out, cut and fry in hot fat.

Rabbit Soup
    September, 1867
    Cut one or two rabbits into joints; lay them for an hour in cold water; dry and fry them in butter till about half done, with four or five onions, and a middling-size head of celery cut small; add to this three quarts of cold water, one pound of split peas, some pepper and salt; let it stew gently for four or five hours, then strain and serve it

Preserving Eggs
    New-York Weekly Tribune
    April 30, 1879
    Preserving Eggs - "The following method for preserving eggs has been used with success, and eggs thus packed have been taken out good at the end of two years. Take air-slaked lime, and mix water with it till it is of the consistency of Indian pudding to the stirabout. Put a layer of this in the bottom of a tight vessel, and set the eggs up, small end down far, enough apart that each egg may be encased in the lime." Or, "Make the water strong enough with lime to bear the eggs, and to each four gallons of water put in one pound of bicarbonate pf soda, stir up well and keep the eggs covered with boards and weight." [G. F. W. , Rouseville, Penn.]

Mama's "Famous" Green Beans

1 quart canned green beans
    1 heaping tablespoon bacon grease
    1/2 medium onion, diced (may substitute 1/2 to 1 tsp onion powder)
    3-4 small potatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
    salt and pepper, to taste

Heat bacon grease in a pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in the grease until limp. Add the green beans, liquid and all, and the potatoes, if using them. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove cover and raise heat medium high and cook till most of the liquid is gone. Salt and pepper to tase and serve.

If using the onion powder instead of onions, just put everything in the pot with the hot grease and proceed as above.

You can also throw in some cooked crumbled bacon right before serving.

Angel

Information on bugs in your pantry and foodstuff!
    There are usually 2-3 common types of varmints(probably more) that inhabit flour, rice, and meal based products (yep, that's about 1/10 or more of a common pantry). Flour beetles (family Tenebrionide if you're into bugs), mealy moths, and tiny weevils are the usual culprits. The adults mate, and then lay their eggs in our pantry products. The eggs then hatch and feed, do their bathroom business, sleep, watch tv, and then turn into adults. Then serious love connections begin. Some females have no desire to leave home and so lay their eggs in the most convenient place---your precious flour, rice, grains, cornmeal, even found them making love and babies in a can of cayenne pepper. Many moths, weevils, and beetles do eventually leave the love nest and fly to other places in your pantry. THAT'S where your bay leaves can help. They are repelled by bay leaves and rarely will you find NEW eggs being laid in products that have them. I put a bay leaf in every bag of flour, rice, cornmeal, oatmeal, etc., that I open. When you buy these products at a grocery, as has already been suggested, freeze them first to kill any eggs that have already been laid before you bought the item. Otherwise you are going to start a vicious cycle. YOu can also tape the bay leaves in and around your cupboards to discourage those seeking new homes to populate. If you see tiny, ugly looking moths flying around the light in your pantry (off white color, thin heads, very small) you probably have them in your foodstuffs. They like popcorn, too. Good news--they won't breed in your delicious stews and soups that you make using the bay leaves.

Eggs can be frozen, but not in the shell. It's best to freeze eggs in small quantities so you can thaw only what you need. An easy way to do this is to put them in an ice cube tray. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer container and label.
    As with any frozen food, it is best to thaw eggs in the refrigerator and use them as soon as they are thawed. Only use thawed eggs in dishes that will be thoroughly cooked.
    Following are some easy instructions for freezing eggs:
    Whole Eggs: To freeze whole eggs or yolks crack them into a bowl and gently stir to break up the yolk somewhat. Try not to incorporate air into the eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of eggs. They can be kept frozen for a year, and should be thawed in the refrigerator the day before you intend to use them.
    Egg Yolks: To inhibit yolks from getting lumpy during storage, stir in a 1/2-teaspoon salt per 1-cup of egg or yolks. If using for desserts, use 1-tablespoon sugar or corn syrup per 1-cup yolks or whole eggs. Label the container with the date and the number of egg yolks. Use up extra egg yolks in recipes like sauces, custards, ice cream, yellow cakes, mayonnaise, scrambled eggs, and cooked puddings.
    Egg Whites: Raw egg whites do not suffer from freezing (cooked egg whites are very rubbery). No salt or sugar is needed. Break and separate the eggs one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets into the whites. Pour into trays and freeze until firm. Label the container with the date and the number of egg whites. Use up extra egg whites in boiled frostings (i.e., 7-minute frosting), meringue cookies, angel food cake, white cakes, or meringue for pies.
    Hard-Cook Egg Yolks: Hard-cooked egg yolks can be frozen to use later for toppings or garnishes. Carefully place the yolks in a single layer in a saucepan and add enough water to come at least I inch above the yolks. Cover and quickly bring just to boiling. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, in the hot water about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain well and package for freezing.
    As an experiment, I froze 8 4-egg packets about 6-8 weeks ago.
    Immediately thereafter, I read that you're supposed to add something to
    stabilize them or they come out rubbery. All I did was scramble the
    whole eggs. I've used 2 packets thus far and they made perfectly fine
    scrambled eggs as well as omelets. BTW, the eggs were not fresh when I
    froze them. They were at or a week after the sell-by date.

In "Putting Foods By" by Hertzberg, Vaughn & Grrene, they say 1 t. salt
    per pint (about 10 large eggs). It is used to keep the yolks from
    thickening. I plan on testing a packet every month to see how they age
    w/o salt. BTW, they recommend using 1 t. sugar instead of salt if the
    eggs are to be used in desserts later.
    For yolks only, they recommend 1/2 t per pint.
    For whites alone, they say to freeze them w/o the salt or sugar.
    Many foodservice operations use frozen eggs (in half-gallon cartons) all the
    time. I once worked on a cruise ship where the only fresh eggs used were
    for fried over-easy or poached egg dishes where you expect to see the yolk
    and whites intact. Frozen whites were used for lo-cholesterol omelets. Of
    course, the bakeshop used frozen whites in large volume for meringue and
    other uses. Freezing does change the structure of almost any product that
    contains water, since water expands when frozen. Eggs don't suffer much,
    but may appear a bit curdled before they are cooked. Commercial frozen eggs
    are usually pasturized.

Herbs and Oil for dipping

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. What does everyone else put into their favorite herb/oil mix?

2 parts Thyme
    2 Parts Oregano
    2 Parts Sage
    2 Parts fresh Minced garlic*
    1 Part Rosemary
    1 Part Basil

S+P to taste

Finely chop all of your herbs and garlic and combine. Add S+P to taste and combine the mixture with approximately double the volume of good extra virgin olive oil. Serve with warm homemade bread. It's a good flavor for noodles or whatever. Keep out of the sun!

Default Single Acting Baking Powder

Single Acting Baking Powder (makes 1/2 cup)

3 level Tbsp cream of tartar
    2 level Tbsp baking soda
    3 level Tbsp rice flour or unbleached AP flour

Combine all in an airtight container (I use a mason jar). Shake until well mixed. Keep it tightly covered and away from moisture. Use up within 1 month.

Default Wild Game Recipes

Fried Squirrel and Gravy

1 Squirrel; cut into 7 pieces
    1 c Flour; seasoned with
    1/2 tsp Each salt and pepper
    1/2 c Crisco; for frying
    Milk; for gravy

Put seasoned flour into small paper bag. Put squirrel, one or two pieces at a time into bag and shake to coat with flour. Meanwhile melt crisco in cast-iron skillet. Put squirrel pieces into pan and brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until done. Pour off about half the fat. Stir in flour from the bag until you have a very thin roux, or put about 2 Tbs. of the flour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and add milk, then put on the lid and shake until the flour is dissolved and all the lumps have gone. Make sure you scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add milk, stirring, and bring to a boil. If the gravy is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin add more flour and milk mixture and reheat to a boil.

-------------------------------------------

Italian Duck Breasts

Fillet duck breasts from breastbone. Cut cross-grain into 1/2 in thick steaks. Tenderize duck steaks with meat hammer. Marinate overnight in Italian Salad Dressing. Wrap in bacon. Skewer bacon with heavy toothpicks. Broil or grill until bacon is cooked. Takes about 10 minutes on the grill.

-----------------------------------------------

Rabbit Stew

1 frozen dressed rabbit
    1 large onion, cut-up
    1 small green pepper, cut-up
    1-2 stalks celery, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 tsp. Oregano
    1 tbsp. dried parsley
    1-2 carrots, cut-up
    3 tbsp. catsup or tomato paste
    1 cup liquid (white wine, cider, tomato sauce, or water)
    10 small russet potatoes

Marinade in buttermilk for one day in the frig and if you don't have buttermilk you can use regular milk or even water with a touch of salt in it.

Defrost rabbit meat overnight and marinate. Brown rabbit with vegetables in hot skillet for 5-10 minutes. Place rabbit and other ingredients in crock pot or dutch oven. Cover and cook on low 3-4 hours. Serves 4-6. Cook potatoes separately and serve with rabbit.

AngelDance

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:50 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dove a la my ex husband (lol)

8- 12 dove breasts
    seasoned flour (AP flour, salt, pepper, dried thyme)
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    1 small finely diced onion, 1 grated carrot, and 1 clove minced garlic
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    1/2 cup heavy cream

Heat a heavy skillet with some olive oil in it over medium heat. Shake the dove breasts in a bag with the seasoned flour until coated. Brown the floured dove in the olive oil until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes each side. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.

Add the vegetables to the pan and stir. Saute for a few minutes. Add the red wine and stir, scraping up all the browned bits from the pan. Let simmer until reduced to the consistency of corn syrup or honey. Whisk in the heavy cream and add the reserved dove to the pan. Cover and let simmer an additional 5-10 minutes over low heat. Adjust seasonings.

Serve the dove on a bed of rive with the sauce poured over.

-------------------------------------------------------

momof23goats

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm Post subject:

-----

'coon
    one coon, soak over night, in salt water, drain , rinse. then make favorite dressing, put in baking dish, place coon on top of dressing. add sweet potatoes, all around the coon, and add a few strips of bacon, on the coon, if ya have it. throw the whole mess, into the oven, and bake at 325, until done. I cover my pan, that i am baking in, with a lid or foil.
    you can fill the inside of the coon, with apples and sausage if you have it, if not , it is ok. good either way.
    try to skin it out , all in one piece, so yo ucan tan the hide, or use to barter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liberty

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:24 pm Post subject: Let's start with these game recipes

---------------

Venison, also known as all big game such as moose, elk and deer can mostly be cooked in the same way. They're naturally tender and don't need long, slow cooking for tenderizing.

The recipes I'm going to post include lots of different spices, but use what you have. Don't complicate it. Add tarragon, thyme, bouillon cubes, lemon juice, white wine, peppercorns, cream gravies or other spices/items as you like.

BASIC LARGE GAME
    Marinade 2" cubes of meat in onion, garlic, carrot, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper for a couple days, turning occasionally. Drain, strain and reserve marinade.

Brown in butter. Add mushrooms and onion. Transfer to casserole dish and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours.

FRIED STEAKS/NECK
    Flour/salt/pepper 1/2" steaks. Saute onion, brown steaks, add garlic, 1/2 c water, cover and simmer 30 min.

Here's a good one....
    VENISON (or other meat) IN SOUR CREAM

2# meat
    carrots
    celery
    salt/pepper. Put all in Dutch oven (or a pan with lid). Make a roux of flour and butter, add a little water and 1 pint sour cream. Stir until smooth. Pour over meat and cook 1 hour @ 350.

BIG GAME ROAST/CHUCK UP TO 1" THICK
    (Bear, moose, elk, deer, antelope)
    Flour, salt/pepper meat; brown in skillet in oil. Add water and bay leaf; heat to boil. Bake 1 1/2 hours. Add carrots/celery and re-cover. Bake 1 1/2 hours longer.

BIG GAME BAKED ROUND STEAK (Excellent!! and proud to serve to company!)
    2-3# boneless deer, antelope, elk/moose 1" thick
    flour/salt/pepper/butter
    2-3T oil
    chopped onion
    Brown sugar
    Catsup
    basil
    1T butter, cut up
    1/4 c stock (bouillon cubes are fine)

Heat oven to 350, cut up meat into serving pieces. Pound to 1/2" thick, dip steaks in flour/salt/pepper mixture. Melt butter and brown. Put in baking dish and sprinkle with onion. Top each steak with 1t packed borwn sugar and 1 t catsup. Add stock to drippings and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, loosening brown bits from skillet. Add to baking pan and cover with foil. Bake 45 minutes.
    ======================

Don't forget about game kabobs with red/green/yellow peppers with teriyaki sauce and onions, soups, pot pies, grilled loins, ribs, pasta dishes and stews. Basically, anything you do with beef, you can do with other game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Canning Cheese

momof23goats

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:03 pm Post subject: canning cheese

I have canned mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, so far, both with good results. Canning cheese is, so far, kind of an experimental trial; you won’t find it in any books that I know of. Being a high acid food (lactic acid), it is fairly safe to play around with. If it goes bad, it simply goes moldy. You won’t get food poisoning from cheese.

The way I can cheese is to cut the cheese into about one inch squares and place them in a wide mouthed pint jar sitting in a pan of water on the stove. As the cheese heats, it melts and I can add more cheese. I do this until the cheese is about 1/2 an inch from the top of the jar. I’m careful not to get cheese on the rim of the jar because any grease or oil on it can cause lids to fail to seal.

After the jars are as full as I wish, I carefully wipe the rim of the jar clean with a hot, damp cloth. Then I place a hot, previously simmered lid on the jar and screw the ring down firmly tight. The jars are processed for 25 minutes in a boiling water bath canner, making sure that you begin to count the time from when the canner comes to a full rolling boil after you have added the jars. Also make sure that the water covers the jars by at least an inch.

To remove a cheese from the jar, after storage, again place it in a pan of water and heat it until the outside of the cheese is just beginning to melt. Then run a knife around it and gently pry the cheese out onto a plate. Once opened, this cheese must be refrigerated like any other cheese, to avoid molding.
    this is from backwoodshome magazine.
    but I learned how to from her mother years ago.
    and yest it is wonderful. The only thing i noticed is this, the cheddar just keeps getting a little shaper, as it sets ,and this is good for several years.
    so this makes for a great prep item, for sure.
    I have one for making cheese whiz, i will have to find it, it is from one of my amish friends.
    enjoy, and buy that cheese while you can get it, or make it, and can it up.
    who says, our preps have to be boring?
    why can't we still enjoy cheese, crackers, and better things? we can.
    even if there is war, depression, flu, what ever comes our way, we can make it, if we prepare.
    BUT i also can up chocolate cake. oh well. I guess there is no hope for me.

Rhealady

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm Post subject:

I've adapted the cheese canning recipes to streamline the process in a modern kitchen.

Run all your 8 oz canning jars, cutting boards and knives through the sanitize cycle of the dishwasher. Heat your roaster, filled with water to 350 degrees. Put the 5# block of cheese on the counter when you start the dishwasher to bring it to room temp to cut it. Small chunks or grating it simply exposes more surface area to bacteria. Wash your hands thoroughly before starting the process.

Using the sterile cutting boards and knife, cut the 5# blocks of cheese into three equal parts. Use a ruler. Each third will fill 4 jars. Cut each third section into 4 parts. Cut the corners off of each part and migrate the corners to the center section to make the piece fit the jar. This is easier than it sounds, we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by modifying the square peg.

Melt the cheese in the water bath and then boil for 15 minutes.
    Take out and label.
    Easy peasy.

__________________________________________________ ________

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/foru...er=asc&start=0