Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The CookBook

Default kelee's canned bread

kelee877

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

babysteps here is my canned bread receipe...

Canned Bread

2/3 cup of shortening
    2 2/3 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    3 cups flour
    2/3 cup water
    3 cups grated apple or 2 cups apple sauce

Preheat oven to 325 degrees lighty grease inside of 8 pint sized canning jars

Sift flour,baking soda,salt nutmeg and cinnamon

Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy, add eggs beat in well

Add flour alternately with water and apples and mix until smooth

Fill jars half full with batter, keep clean, bake 325 for 45 minutes

Sterilize rings and lids

Remove jars one at a time wipe rims of jars and put on a lid and ring,jars will seal as cake cools.

I have no problems with these jarred cakes(bread) at all...if you get bored with apple you can try banana...I did rhubarb, but the acid content is high in rhubarb and well they look terrible, but still smell good...

Default Jerky

Here is one recipe I use for making jerky...this will help if you have tons of meat in the freezer and something happens. Or just want to make a treat!

Basic Marinade
    1 C. soy sauce or teryaki sauce
    1 C. water
    3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    1 Tbs. liquid smoke
    1 Tbs. garlic powder
    1 Tbs. onion powder
    1 tsp. black pepper

Meat-

Any cut of beef (I used London broil on sale at Kroger's) or deer meat.

Partially freeze (or thaw a little) meat to make it easier to slice into thin strips. A good sharp knife is a must here. Cut meat into 1/8 to 1/4" thick slices against the grain of the meat. This is the hardest part of the entire process! And it isn't all that hard either. Make sure you trim all excess fat off of the meat. Keeps it from spoiling that way.

Next put your slices of meat into a bowl with your marinade and mix well making sure your marinade covers the meat. Put in the refrigerator overnight. I stirred mine every couple of hours while I was still up. You don't have to do that though.

The next morning, take strips of meat out of the marinade one at a time, allowing extra marinade to drip off as much as possible. You don't have to pat them dry. Place on dehydrator trays. I used an electric one as is that is what I had available. Other options include using dehydrator trays in the sun, but if you do that you will have to cover them to keep the bugs off. Use something that will let the sunlight in. Another way to dehydrate them is in the oven using your racks. Just lay the strips over the top oven rack. Place a pan underneath to catch the drips and set oven on lowest setting. It takes about 5 or 6 hours using the oven and it took me about 8 hours using the dehydrator. If you do this in the sun, it can take up to three days to get it done. Just remember direct sunlight! Don't put it in the shade. I have even heard of old timers just hanging the strips of meat out on the clothesline to dry (no, I'm not saying to do that now lol!).

When the meat is dry, remove it from the trays and put it in either bags with one oxygen absorber or you can vacuum seal them. A friend of mine just keeps his in a glass canning jar on the shelf which is a good idea for post SHTF.

I made this over the week-end and got three or four times more jerky for the price you would pay in the store for it. It would have easily cost me over 20.00 for the amount I made if bought at the store. This way it cost me 3.43 for the meat and about a buck for the marinade since I already had the ingredients on hand.

Good luck keeping it around very long!

She

Default canned cole slaw

momof23goats

Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:39 pm Post subject: canned cole slaw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 head of cabbage
    1tsp celery seed
    carrots if desired
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    few red an green peppers
    1/2 c. scant of vinegar
    2 c.sugar
    now mix this up good. I add a table spoon of fruit fresh. and use organgic vinegar. let it sit, a good half day, or over night is best.
    pack into hot jars,. cold pack, 7 minutes.
    ok, by cold pack, is meant hot water bath. this is really pretty good. I increase the vinegar slightly.

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/foru...pic.php?t=4350

Default The Lightest Fluffiest Yeast Rolls

Buttercup

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:30 am Post subject: The Lightest Fluffiest Yeast Rolls

This recipe makes the best fool-proof dinner rolls! It is originally a cinnamon roll recipe...both are YUM!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 pkg. yeast
    1/4 cup warm water
    2 Tbs. shortening (I use lard or butter)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup scalded milk
    2 Tbs. sugar
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1 egg

Dissolve yeast in warm water (lukewarm is ideal). Combine milk, sugar, shortening, and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Add one cup flour, beat well. Beat in yeast and egg. Gradually add remaining flour. Dough should be very slightly sticky. Stop when mixture is fully incorporated. Do not overbeat or knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (1 1/2 - 2 hours).

For cinnamon rolls:
    Turn dough out onto floured surface. Roll flat and very thin. Spread on filling (1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon...can be adjusted to your preferences) Roll up like a jelly roll and slice.
    Let rise in greased baking pan (9X13 or larger) till double (30-40 min)

For dinner rolls:
    Divide dough evenly into 36 balls. Place balls into greased muffin tin (3 balls per cup) Let rise as for cinnamon rolls.

For crescent rolls:
    Roll dough out into a large circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut circle like a pizza, dividing it into 12 triangles. Brush melted butter on top of each triangle. Starting at wide end, roll each triangle toward its point. Let rise as for cinnamon rolls.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

You can make a simple icing for your cinnamon rolls using butter, powdered sugar, and milk.

Rendering Lard and/or Tallow

Sterilize jars (quart or pints) and hold them in a 300F oven Bring lids to a boil. Reduce heat on lids and hold in barely simmering water.

Cut pork or beef fat into small cubes or grind on a coarse setting. Put fat into a large heavy kettle or stock pot. Turn heat on medium low. Stir periodically as the fat melts. It should melt slowly enough not to color at all, but be clear. You may need to reduce your heat. Any pork fat can be used, but "leaf fat", the layer surrounding the organs inside the hod makes the finest for pie crusts, biscuits and such

When all the fat is rendered to clear liquid, Ladle into hot jars using a canning funnel lined with clean cheesecloth. Leave 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims with a HOT damp towel (any fat on the rim will prohibit a good seal). Place hot lids on jars and tighten rings. Be very careful doing all of this as that fat is hot as blue blazes. (duh, you say! Ask me how I know!!)

Using a jar lifter, transfer jars to a clean DRY towel covered surface away from drafts. They will seal as they cool. Will last almost indefinitely in a COOL place.

The "cracklins" (browned bits of meat and interstitial tissue) left in the pan are awesome added to cornbread or just eaten straight out of hand, lightly salted.

I use lard alot in baking and frying. Tallow is good as a fat for sauteeing onions and stuff when making chili or stews, or browning meat like when making Swiss steak, country style steak, etc. You can also use tallow in lamps, but is does produce a smoky flame and makes your house smell like roast beef!

Angel

Default Canning butter

Please note...this is NOT approved by the USDA. Any risk you take in canning butter will be your own and not that of this poster or this site and its owners.....SheWoff

That disclaimer being said...people have been doing this for years and may again become necessary. So here's the directions:

1. Use any butter that is on sale. Lesser quality butter requires more shaking (see #5 below), but the results are the same as with the expensive brands.

2. Heat pint jars in a 250 degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals. One pound of butter slightly more than fills one pint jar, so if you melt 11 pounds of butter, heat 12 pint jars. A roasting pan works well for holding the pint jars while in the oven.

3. While the jars are heating, melt butter slowly until it comes to a slow boil. Using a large spatula, stir the bottom of the pot often to keep the butter from scorching. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes at least: a good simmer time will lessen the amount of shaking required (see #5 below). Place the lids in a small pot and bring to a boil, leaving the lids in simmering water until needed.

4. Stirring the melted butter from the bottom to the top with a soup ladle or small pot with a handle, pour the melted butter carefully into heated jars through a canning jar funnel. Leave 3/4" of head space in the jar, which allows room for the shaking process.

5. Carefully wipe off the top of the jars, then get a hot lid from the simmering water, add the lid and ring and tighten securely. Lids will seal as they cool. Once a few lids "ping," shake while the jars are still warm, but cool enough to handle easily, because the butter will separate and become foamy on top and white on the bottom. In a few minutes, shake again, and repeat until the butter retains the same consistency throughout the jar.

6. At this point, while still slightly warm, put the jars into a refrigerator. While cooling and hardening, shake again, and the melted butter will then look like butter and become firm. This final shaking is very important! Check every 5 minutes and give the jars a little shake until they are hardened in the jar! Leave in the refrigerator for an hour.

7. Canned butter should store for 3 years or longer on a cool, dark shelf. [It does last a long time. We have just used up the last of the butter we canned in 1999, and it was fine after 5 years.] Canned butter does not "melt" again when opened, so it does not need to be refrigerated upon opening, provided it is used within a reasonable length of time.

http://www.endtimesreport.com/canning_butter.html

Default cheese whiz

momof23goats

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 pm Post subject: cheese whiz

3 [2 pounds boxes] pf Velveeta cheese or store brand. [store brand works just as well.
    1/2 cup butter
    2c. milk
    3 1/4 cups of cream, or evaporated milk
    dash pf Worcestershire sauce
    pinch, [1/8 teaspoon of dry mustard
    melt cheese, in double boiler, add milk, butter, cream, and the rest of it.
    have your jars hot and sterilized,
    pour mixture into your jars.
    put on hot lids, and rings.
    hot water bath 20 minutes.
    now one thing is clear, have your jars clean and sterilized, and your hot water bath water , have that boiling. take jars out, might want to gently turn them upside down and back, as they cool.
    but don't have to.
    OK, this is it, done. enjoy. real good with a lot of thing's. and can also make mac and cheese with this, in a pinch and it is good.

Default Chili Recipes

Bear

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:55 pm Post subject:

Here is my hot chile recipe:

1lb ground beef, brown and drain
    Mix in 1 chopped onion
    1 chopped green pepper
    sizzle until onion begins to become translucent.
    add 1/4 cup finely chopped garlic
    and 5-10 finely chopped jalapeno peppers (depending on taste may add/sub Habenara peppers)
    stir for a few minutes then add 1/4 cup chili powder,
    1 Tsp red pepper,
    1 tsp salt.
    Finally add 1 32 oz can of diced tomatos, and on 4 oz can tomato paste and 2 14oz cans red kidney beans.
    mix well and add enough water to make a nice medium thick texture and simmer for (at least) 1 hour (2 or3 is better), covered.

EAT!

(fire extinguisher optional)

Maximilian

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:21 pm Post subject:

1lb ground beef, 1 chopped white onion
    brown and drain

For the blender while the meat is browning.
    1 handful of Serrano peppers, 1 handful of jalapeno peppers,
    5 Habanera peppers and a handful of Thai peppers. half an union.
    2 cans of diced tomatoes, handful of cilantro. Blend...this is my main sauce
    Some chopped garlic
    Pour it all together and add black beans
    add 1/4 cup chili powder
    1 tsp salt.

stir
    Add 2 cans of tomato sauce.
    1 more can of diced tomato

fruit loop

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:24 pm Post subject: My recipe, cans and freezes beautifully

I add more peppers for more punch.

This is the chili recipe that I make for parties, reenactments, and family reunions. I also make it periodically to can. We eat a couple quarts and home-can and freeze the rest. This recipe makes 3 gallons of chili. It also freezes beautifully. When I take it to a family reunion or reenactment I freeze it, put it in an ice chest, and let it thaw on the way. Heat it up over a campstove or grill. It will feed 50 people.

CHILI

3 pounds dried pinto beans
    3 tablespoons salt
    10 pounds lean ground beef
    1/2 pound chopped onions
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    12 cups canned peeled and diced tomatoes
    4 cups tomato paste
    2/3 cup chili powder
    1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Wash and sort pinto beans. Bring 3 gallons of water to boil in a 6 gallon pot. (I use a 12 quart speckled granny ware pot from Wal-Mart. Plenty big) Pour in beans, return to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour. Stir in salt and simmer until tender, 90 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Brown beef with onions and garlic over medium high heat in same pot or enormous skillet. Combine meat mixture, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, pepper and cooked beans in 6 gallon pot; stir; cover and simmer 1 hour.

You can add more or less of the spices to suit your taste. I add more chili powder.

Pack into jars leaving 1 inch headspace. I process quarts for 90 minutes and pints for 70.

mrik

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 pm Post subject:

LOL no..but I have a secret ingredient that makes it awesome. And Im trying to keep it secret in case I want to market it. course TSHTF soon anyway so why not...

OK RIK'S SUPER SECRET AWESOME CHILI RECIPE
    Make chili as normal, using ground chuck, chili powder and beans.....

use extra meat to make it thick and meaty
    Add a can of tomato sauce,size depends on the amount of chili you are making...
    then add....

PICANTE SAUCE. Lots of it to give it a good blend. Let it all simmer together for a while and add spices to taste. If you want hot chili, add habenero peppers OR just use Habenero Salsa or Picante sauce...

Et VIOLA ... some darn good chili...

So eat it up and enjoy cuz my Secret assassin squad is now gonna be going out to take care of you guys so my recipe stays secret

Summer Squash Casserole

Yellow squash, zucchini or patty pan or any combinations of these
    sweet onions
    tomatoes
    mozarella cheese, grated
    sweet basil, fresh, rough chopped
    salt and pepper

Slice squash. Slice onions paper thin. Slice tomatoes, salt liberally and set in a strainer to drain excess liquid for about 20 minutes.

In a 9x13 pan, layer squash, tomatoes, onions and grated cheese, in order, seasoning each layer with salt, pepper and basil, to taste. Finish top with a generous amount of cheese. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.

Save the juice in the bottom of the pan. You can freeze it for soup later or pour it in a mug and drink it, like I do

Angel

Yahoo! Thanks so much everyone. More to add to my TOL cookbook in hard copy.