Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The CookBook

Default Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

SWEET POTATO PIE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 ½ cups mashed boiled sweet potatoes
    ½ cup honey
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    ½ cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup pecan pieces or whole pecans (optional)
    One 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat the oven to 350F. Mix the sweet potatoes, honey, cinnamon, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Pour the eggs into the potato mixture and mix well. Add the pecans, if desired, and pour into the pie shell. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Yield: One 9-inch deep-dish pie.

The Great Plains of one of the Dakotas...

Awesome recipes, thank you from In The City.. :D .Yes, we can't get out, can't sell to move out...So, doing what we can in place.
    "Some stories are true that never happened"
    -- Eli Wiesel

I considered posting this in the deep recesses of the Tavern...it is a secret family recipe after all. But since we're all family here... (Welcome Dahlia)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green Bean Soup

1-1 1/2 lbs fresh garden green beans (cut into bite-sized pieces)
    1 lb smoked sausage (sliced into rings)
    1/2 lb fresh carrots (sliced into rings)
    1 large onion (diced)
    2 quarts canned garden tomatoes (diced with juice)
    1 cup sour cream w/ 1 heaping Tbs flour mixed in
    salt
    pepper
    paprika

In a large stew pot, cover green beans with water and a couple pinches of salt. Bring to boil. While beans are boiling, brown onion in oil or butter in a large skillet. After onion has started to brown, add sausage. Saute until sausage gets some good color to it; turn off burner and set aside. When green beans have boiled for about 10-15 minutes, add carrots and tomatoes. Bring back to boil. When vegetables are slightly tender, add onion/sausage mixture. Simmer for about 10 minutes longer. Then, using the juice from the soup, temper your sour cream mixture and add it to soup. Season to taste. It is ready to serve with good homemade bread! :)
    "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready." Revelation 19:7

Mashed potatoes are my favorite and they freeze great.

When you go through all the trouble to peel and smash, whip up a big batch.

Spoon into a muffin pan and freeze.

Pop them out when frozen and separate into baggies and back into the freezer.

Each baggie is a perfect serving ready to microwave.

Default No-Rise Yeast Dough

~Reprinted with permission from original poster at another site~

No-Rise Yeast Dough

1 TBS yeast
    1/2 C. warm water
    1 TBS sugar

Mix and let set 15 minutes

Add together:
    1/2 C. oil
    2 C. sour milk* or buttermilk
    1/2 C. sugar
    1/2 tsp. soda
    5 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    yeast mixture
    flour (5 to 6 C.)

(* to make sour milk add 1 tsp vinegar to each cup milk. Let stand 10 minutes until clabbered.)

Mix all ingreadients together and knead. Use immediately at 350 degres or store in air-tight container in refridgerator. Does NOT require rise time. Strictly form and bake.

Doughnuts- pinch off pieces, fry and glaze.
    Glaze- 1/2C powdered sugar, 1 TBS cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1 TBS boiling water. Whisk and glaze. cool.

Cinnamon rolls- Shape in rectangle, spread on butter, cinnamon, brown sugar. Cut into slices after rolling up. Bake 15 minutes (350).

Pizza dough and rolls- decrease second addition of sugar to 1/2 TBS and add 1 tsp. salt. Shape as needed.

Bread- decrease second addition of sugar to 1/2 TBS and add 1 tsp. of salt. Need about 6 C. flour. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes. Makes 2 loaves.

Default Pickled Jalapenos (chiles, pepperocini, banana peppers, etc)

Pickled Jalapenos

2 1/2 to 3 pounds of peppers, sliced 1/2" thick (I use latex gloves when doing this)
    5 cups of 5% vinegar
    1 1/4 cup water
    5 tsp kosher salt

Wash and slice peppers. Pack into hot sterile pint jars. Boil vinegar, water and salt. Pour over peppers, leaving 1/2" headspace. Remove any bubbles from jars. Wipe rims and put lids and rings on jars. Process in a boiling bath 10 minutes.

Angel

Default THIS FORUM IS AWSOME EXPECIALLY YOU LOUISE

OK GUYS AND GIRLS WHAT KIND OF DRESS DO I HAVE TO PUT ON MY RABBIT. NAKED IS GOOD FOR ME, BUT IF WE RE GETTING PARTICULAR THEN IS IT FORMAL OR INFORMAL. WHERE HAVE YOU FRIENDS LEARNED THESE SKILLS, I HAVE SOME BUT I AM 59 AND STILL LEARNING. I THINK I HAVE MUCH TO LEARN (IT HURTS) THIS IS A GREAT SITE, I'LL EVEN PAY TO JOIN, WE NEED THIS INFO IF WE ARE GOING TO SURVIVE.
    IT IS SO DETAILED, NOW IF I COULD ONLY FIND MY MIND, I PROBABLY WILL PUT THIS TO USE. THANKS AGAIN

momof23goats

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:55 pm Post subject: my own recipe for breakfast sausage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 c.salt.[i use 1.8th, grandma liked salt]
    4 tablespoons of sage
    2 tablespoons of red pepper
    1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon black pepper

mix well, and I usually mix my seasoning in, then regrind.
    this is for 10 pounds of meat, pork , beef, or deer, or what ever.

Taco Soup

2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
    1 large onion, chopped
    2cups frozen corn, thawed (or use canned and drained)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    diced jalapenos, to taste
    1 pkg taco seasoning mix
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 pkg ranch dressing mix (powder)
    2 1/2 cups beef broth

mix all in a soup kettle and simmer one hour. Serve with cornbread, tortilla chips, or Fritos. Garnish soup with sour cream and grated cheese.

Enjoy!

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Default Refried Bean Soup

Refried Bean Soup

An excellent hearty, meatless soup. You won't believe that a soup this easy can taste this good. The Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies) provide the perfect seasonings, so don't substitute plain tomatoes for them

Adapted from Southern Living.

1 small onion -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- minced (or sub. the minced garlic in jar)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 can refried beans -- 31 oz
    1 can diced tomatoes -- undrained -- 16 oz
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes -- undrained -- 10 oz
    1 can chicken broth -- 14 1/2 oz
    Garnishes:
    crushed tortilla chips
    shredded cheese (cheddar or monterey jack)
    sour cream

Cook onion and garlic in oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add beans, both tomatoes and chicken broth, stirring until smooth. Be sure to mash the lumps of refried beans until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Ladle soup into individual soup bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 hearty servings.

I usually add ground beef (from my hamburger rock stash), or chicken (canned is fine), and it is also good without the garnishes, they are not necessary.