Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The CookBook

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

momof23goats

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:55 pm Post subject: my own recipe for breakfast sausage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 c.salt.[i use 1.8th, grandma liked salt]
    4 tablespoons of sage
    2 tablespoons of red pepper
    1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon black pepper

mix well, and I usually mix my seasoning in, then regrind.
    this is for 10 pounds of meat, pork , beef, or deer, or what ever.

Taco Soup

2 lbs ground beef, browned and drained
    1 large onion, chopped
    2cups frozen corn, thawed (or use canned and drained)
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    diced jalapenos, to taste
    1 pkg taco seasoning mix
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 pkg ranch dressing mix (powder)
    2 1/2 cups beef broth

mix all in a soup kettle and simmer one hour. Serve with cornbread, tortilla chips, or Fritos. Garnish soup with sour cream and grated cheese.

Enjoy!

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Default Refried Bean Soup

Refried Bean Soup

An excellent hearty, meatless soup. You won't believe that a soup this easy can taste this good. The Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies) provide the perfect seasonings, so don't substitute plain tomatoes for them

Adapted from Southern Living.

1 small onion -- chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- minced (or sub. the minced garlic in jar)
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 can refried beans -- 31 oz
    1 can diced tomatoes -- undrained -- 16 oz
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes -- undrained -- 10 oz
    1 can chicken broth -- 14 1/2 oz
    Garnishes:
    crushed tortilla chips
    shredded cheese (cheddar or monterey jack)
    sour cream

Cook onion and garlic in oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add beans, both tomatoes and chicken broth, stirring until smooth. Be sure to mash the lumps of refried beans until completely dissolved. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Ladle soup into individual soup bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 hearty servings.

I usually add ground beef (from my hamburger rock stash), or chicken (canned is fine), and it is also good without the garnishes, they are not necessary.

Talking Blackberry Jelly

I have gotten a couple of requests for this recipe so will put it here and in the Tree's cookbook for all...This is the old time recipe without pectin added in. If you want to use pectin, get a box of Sure-Jel and follow the directions inside the box to make your jelly with. It works well also.

She
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Blackberry jelly

2 quarts blackberries
    3 C. water
    sugar

Wash berries and put in pan. Add water and bring to boiling point. Cook until berries are soft. Remove from heat and let strain through a cloth bag. Do not squeeze thee bag if you want a clear sparkling jelly. I use an old pillow case to strain berries when making it this way and that works well.
    Measure the liquid and bring to a boil. Gradually add the same amount of sugar as you had of juice. Example: If you ended up with 4 cups of juice you will add 4 cups of sugar. If you had 5 cups of juice you will add 5 cups of sugar. Easy! Now cook rapidly on a full boil until the mixture starts to thicken. This may take up to an hour or so. Test for thickness by using a metal spoon dipped into the juice. Pour out the juice to the side of the spoon and you should notice some sheeting. Right...well good if you do. I put some on a tablespoon, set it on a plate and let it cool off a bit. If it jels up when it cools off its ready lol. Okay, now that it is ready, ladle into hot jars and put on lids. Water bath for 5 minutes. Let cool and label jars. Enjoy!

One note...if when your strained juice starts to boil you notice a lot of foaming going on...drop in a tablespoon of butter to cut it down.

Second note....you can start with any amount of blackberries you want in this recipe and will work up to around 12 cups to jel right. If you use 12 cups of juice, you use 12 cups of sugar. The juice to sugar is always 1 to 1 ratio. And yep, you can use half cups too. you spent all that time picking those things so lets not throw good food away lol!

These are a few of my favorite recipes.

Spiced Mixed Nuts

3 egg whites
    2 tablespoons water
    3 cups walnut halves
    2 cups pecan halves
    1 cup whole almonds
    2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons grated orange peel
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and water until frothy. Add nuts; stir gently to coat. Combine the remaining ingredients. Add to nut mixture and stir gently to coat. Spread into two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container. These are easy and addicting for those sweet tooth cravings.

Obviously you can just interchange your Nuts to whichever kind you like. I often do just Pecans to use in my Chicken Salad.

Spiced Apples

1/4 cup butter
    4 large tart apples - peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup cold water
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a large skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add apples. Cook, stirring constantly, until apples are almost tender, about 6 to 7 minutes.
    Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to skillet. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm.
    I serve these with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, on top of pancakes or with Pork. Yummy!

Salsa Pasta Salad

1/2 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn
    1 small onion chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can of green chilies or chop fresh chilies to taste
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes

Cook pasta until done or al dente; drain, rinse in cold water.
    In a large bowl combine oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic. Stir in pasta and set aside to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in corn, beans, green pepper, red pepper and 1/2 of the cilantro leaves. Sprinkle top with remaining cilantro. Fridgerate and serve chilled. I love how light and refreshing this salad is on hot days. This recipe is so versitile, you can add and subtract ingredients to your individual liking.

Sweet Rolls - This makes a LARGE batch

2 cups warm water
    2 cups scalded milk
    1 cup oil
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 tbsp salt
    7 ½ tsp yeast
    10-12 cups flour

In large mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil, eggs, sugar and salt. Add milk (cool slightly before adding).

Add flour gradually and then turn out on floured board and knead (add flour until no longer sticky) Place back in greased bowl and allow to rise double in size. Punch down and allow to rise again, double size. (this second rise makes the rolls light and airy). Once this has doubled...

Turn out on floured surface and work. Cut pieces with biscuit cutter, (*) arrange in pan, allow to rise again until doubled and then bake 350-375 for about 15 minutes.

***** If I am freezing biscuits....I put the cut biscuit dough on wax paper lined pan, and place in freeze to freeze at this point. Once they are frozen, place in ziplock bag. When you're ready to use, remove from freezer, put in pan and allow to thaw then rise before baking.

Also...at this point instead of biscuits, I sometimes make cinnamon rolls. Just take a piece of dough and roll out 9x13 (or about that), sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and butter, roll up and cut to make cinnamon rolls, let rise and then bake. DELICIOUS

Now....I am not great about times...so you may want to just watch the rolls baking...I'm thinking about 15 minutes give or take pending on your oven.
    Mom of All Trades... Patent Pending

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Benjamin Franklin pen name Richard Saunders

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Default Southwestern Chicken and Rice Casserole

i got this recipe on the back of some booklet that comes with our power bill. it looked quick and easy and, for once, i was right!! not to mention the whole family devoured it...NO leftovers at all!

here is the official recipe. i'll post my variances below:

1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 cup water
    1 cup thick & chunky salsa
    3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (thawed)
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend

Stir soup, water, salsa, rice, onion powder and corn in a 12" x 8" shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Season chicken as desired. Cover. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. top with cheese. serves 4.

what i actually did:

1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 cup water
    1 cup thick & chunky salsa (i used mild salsa but would use hotter salsa next time. the casserole kind of delutes the heat)
    3/4 cup uncooked regular long-gran white rice (i used minute rice but ended up having to add another 1/4 cup at the end as it was still a little soupy)
    1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (thawed) (i threw it in frozen. no problem)
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (all i had 3 breasts in the freezer so i sliced them up thin and tossed them in)
    1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (all i had was chedder. and i used more then 1/2 cup....mmmmm cheese)

Stir soup, water, salsa, rice, onion powder and corn in a 12" x 8" shallow baking dish (i used a 9x9 - worked fine). Top with chicken. Season chicken as desired (i just used salt and pepper). Cover. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until chicken and rise are done. top with cheese. serves 4. (this recipe served exactly 4, BUT everyone had a heaping 2nd plate)

this is a fantastic recipe for those meals during the week - when you need something quick and easy and you're trying to come up with something new to do with chicken.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Just saw this^^^ and if I didn't have ribs in the oven already I'd be making it tonight!

Thanks Patticakes....made your recipe last night and everyone loved it :)

Here are my DW pumpkin recipes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    stuffed pumpkin:

1 lb loose sausage
    1 diced zucchini
    1 med tomato diced
    1 small onion chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    2 slices of bread cubed
    1/4 c bread crumbs

4 small pumpkins, slice off tops, hollow out the inside to make bowls. dice the pumpkin you remove from the inside.

in a large pan brown sausage. add diced pumpkin, zucchini, tomato, onion and garlic, cook until veggies are tender. add bread cubes, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. stuff pumpkins with this mixture, replace tops. bake @ 350 for 45 min - 1 hr (until pumpkin bowls are tender)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Autumn Stew:

1/4 c all purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 1/2 lb beef stew meat, cubed
    2 tbsp shortening
    2 c water
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/2 tsp cinn., 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp allspice)
    2 beef bouillon cubes
    1 med. onion chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes
    2 1/2 c pumpkin, 1" cubes
    3 med. potatoes, 1" cubes

coat beef with flour, salt, and pepper. cook in shortening in dutch oven until brown. stir in remaining ingredients except pumpkin and potato. heat to boil, reduce heat, simmer about 2 hrs. stir in pumpkin and potatoes. simmer until veggies are tender.
    check out our farm pics....http://public.fotki.com/stanb888/

Check out My videos....http://www.youtube.com/user/stanb999