Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking for vintage cream cake recipe

not yet but have your recipe ready. goodness you made me realize time has flown and I need to try it before our Easter reunion. been so busy expanding the garden. will let you know asap.

we used to eat what we called milk cake...it was just plain yellow cake and then you beat a can of carnation evaporated milk with 1/2 c or so of powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla and pour it on your cake. The milk is like runny pudding, and I don't see why you couldn't layer it.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Micah, sounds good too. my grandmother would beat it on the stove and she used granulated sugar and put egg yolks i'm guessing to thicken. I was too little to remember how, but old enough to remember the taste. have to tell ya I didn't spend much time around her kitchen i was always outside playing with grandpa. or maybe it was the one time i lifted the lid on squirrel stew that sent me outside. the cake and squirrel is what i remember about her kitchen. funny how things work out. after she passed i went by the house for one last look before they sold it and there sat the pot she used for making the cream! everyone else had passed it by. to this day the pot has been sitting waiting for me to make cream cake. learning from my previous fiasco and with everyone's input i think i've got it. will do it and post. thanks. mm

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    My Grandmother used to make a yellow cake with cream poured over it that was pure bliss. No one in the family knows the recipe. I remember she used condensed milk and vanilla but can't grasp whether or not it was made with eggs, maybe yolks because the cream came out like pudding that didn't completely set. She would put 3 layers of plain yellow cake in a huge wooden bowl and pour cream between each and over. The cake set in a bowl of (sort of) creamed pudding. When it was served you needed a spoon to get every drop or lick the plate . It's not cream in the cake like tres leches cake. Does anyone have a recipe for anything like this? She called it cream cake and I would love to make this for the family for Easter.

Could it be this? Lemon Cake Pudding - Delicate cake and refreshing lemon sauce in one pudding. Betty Crocker's Picture Book 2nd Ed. 1956

Sift together into a mixing bowl: 1/4 Cup sifted Gold Medal Flour
    1 Cup Sugar
    1/4 tsp. salt

Stir in: 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind (1 lemon)
    1/4 lemon juice
    2 egg yolks, beaten well
    1 Cup milk

Fold in: 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Pour into 1-qt. baking dish (6 1/2") or 6 custard cups. Set in pan of hot
    water (1" deep). Bake. Serve warm or cold, with or without whipped cream.

Oven temp: 350 degrees Bake 50 min. Serves 6

I don't know how you would substitue vanilla to lemon, maybe try the
    milk at a 1/4 cup and add some vanilla.

Angel Dance I used your recipe for the boiled custard and it is very good. Went with semi homemade since we were camping Easter weekend used butter pound cake and cool whip. My camper has propane frig so I made the custard Thursday night and carried it with us. The weather was slighly warm and the cake was a cool hit layered with strawberries. I also made the following cake from a recipe that a friend said her grandmother passed down. I made the cake ahead of time and the icing at the camp. It was good but didn't go over as well probably because of the heat. The chilled cake dissapeared.
    CREAM CAKE
    3 c self rising flour
    1 Tbsp vanilla
    1/2 c oil
    2 1/2 c sugar
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 c milk
    Heat oven to 350. mix all ingredients except milk. Add milk gradually. stir well. grease 9x12 pan bake 30-35 min or until golden brown
    CREAM ICING
    13 oz Pet Milk (canned)
    2 c sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    Combine sugar and milk in saucepan. cook until thick. remove from heat add vanilla. cut cake into squares and leave in pan. pour icing over cake and serve warm.

Miss Becky I'm waiting on the blackberries and the first pick will use your recipe as it sounds very good.

Well didn't end up with grandmothers recipe but did end up with some very good ones. thanks all for the sweet ideas. MM

I've made a Taste of Home recipe called "Rhubarb Custard Cake" a few times.

Prepare a yellow cake (from mix or scratch would work as well).
    Cover with the following in order:

4 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb
    1 cup sugar (I use less)
    1 cup heavy cream (poured slowly over batter)

Bake.

Very yummy!