Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for vintage cream cake recipe

Pudding cakes are not layered in their construction, rather a mixture designed to separate into 2 separate parts (cake on the top and pudding on the bottom) when baked.

Bread pudding is not layered, rather cubed stale bread mixed with eggs, sugar and milk and baked in a bain marie (water bath). Depending on the cook time and proportion of bread to egg/milk mixture, they can be either quite stiff or quite soft and runny.

The description of a layered dessert made of cake and 'cream' sounds to me like a trifle.

Trifles were very common in the South from the 1700s on. They are originally English and contained fruit and sherry. In the 1700s, Americans began omitting the fruit. They began to be called tipsy pudding (pudding meaning dessert, not Jell-o pudding) in addition to being called trifle because of the alcohol in them.

Hope this helps,

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Thank you Angel Dance. Grandmothers picture is on my home desk and I swear the eyes would roll if I used the cheaters way! I know it was cooked and I think there was flour in there because it came out thick and creamy and seemed to have texture sort of like the sauce in homemade chicken and dumplings...now I'm hungry for those. I'm going to try a couple of things this evening and see how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    Thank you Angel Dance. Grandmothers picture is on my home desk and I swear the eyes would roll if I used the cheaters way! I know it was cooked and I think there was flour in there because it came out thick and creamy and seemed to have texture sort of like the sauce in homemade chicken and dumplings...now I'm hungry for those. I'm going to try a couple of things this evening and see how it turns out.
    Was the dessert served chilled?

I have several recipes for boiled custard, some having flour or cornstarch and fewer eggs, some with all eggs. If you make the custard with 5 eggs and no other thickener, the result is much more velvety smooth with more depth of flavor and 'body', if that makes sense.

EVERY ONE of my female ancestors from my Mother on back would come back to haunt me if I ever 'cheated' on a trifle! LOL! And if you Google it, you get all kind of junk using brownies and chocolate pudding, Pumpkin cake and 'spiced' pudding.....NONE of which are trifles!! Tasty? Maybe. Trifle? NOT!

Good luck on your culinary detective adventure. You have plenty of time before Easter to find what you are looking for. If you DO try my recipe, please let me know if that was what you were remembering.

Angel
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

try this
    it EZ not use crm or 1/2 and 1/2 but milk... makes a custard bottom w/golden brwn "cakey" top
    can make plain or w/any kind fresh fruit
    peaches good..blackberries the best!

you will need:
    2 c sugar divided
    2 c AP flour sifted
    1/3 c butter or margarine
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 c milk
    2 c blackberries
    2 c boiling water

cream 1 c butter and 1 c sugar together. add flour, baking pwdr, salt and milk. mix well
    pour batter into pyrex glass baking dish (round best square ok..if no have glass dish can use 9' square pan litely sprayed) pour blackberries on top. sprinkle w/other c sugar and then pour all the boiling water on top
    bake in 350 oven about 45 min or until top is golden brwn.
    careful: filling will be hot!!! can top w/cool whip or vanilla ice crm if desired.

AngelDance, your recipe sounds like my grandmother's. I think she used canned milk in place of the half and half, like she did for just about every recipe that called for cream or half and half, but, otherwise, it sounds the same.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    AngelDance, your recipe sounds like my grandmother's. I think she used canned milk in place of the half and half, like she did for just about every recipe that called for cream or half and half, but, otherwise, it sounds the same.
    It is actually my great, great Grandmother's recipe. The women on my mother's side of the family handed it down by memory. I never saw my Mother use a recipe for it, she just 'knew' it, as I now do, too.

When clearing the house after my Mother's death, I found a handwritten "Book of Receipts" dated 1853, the year my great, great Grandmother and great, great Grandfather were married. That book contained the recipe.

Coindicentally....her name was Belle!!

Angel
    Harriet Tubman

Walt Whitman

sorry, we processed lots of sausage last weekend and had lots to catch up around the house...finally got around to trying out what Mom and I remembered. phooey! so much for our memory. took 6 egg yolks, 2 1/2 c sugar, 2 c ap flour, 1 can cream, 1 can water over double boiler, added 1 stick butter when it began to thicken but it thickened too much so added another 1/3 c cream & water, then 2 tsp vanilla when removed from fire. The extra cream threw the taste off.

Angel Dance I'll try your recipe next as I would like to get away from using flour & butter, then Miss Becky's with blackberries. Thanks all. Disaster Cat if you have the time....I keep thinking about that corn bread. You think I would have had enough of it and mustard greens lately but noooo....

MaddyMae, let me know after you try it if it was close to or was what you remember!
    Harriet Tubman

Walt Whitman

what angel said....(enjoy.)

Did you ever try my recipe, MaddieMae?

just curious......

Angel
    Harriet Tubman

Walt Whitman