Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home made apple butter

I've played around with the spices for a few years, this is how we like it best. Peel & chop the apples which leaves chunks for the final product, until crockpot is slightly overflowing. Place lid on top and apples will cook down the first 2-3 hours so that the lid fits tightly by the time you are ready to go to bed.

This recipe is for the larger crockpots. I suppose you could half or quarter the recipe for smaller crocks.

4 c sugar (more or less depends how sour the apples are)
    4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp, scant, cloves
    1/4 tsp salt (ok to omit)
    dash of nutmeg (more gets the apples too dark and takes over the flavors)

Cook 8 hrs. Water bath 15 minutes. Makes 6-7 pints.

Lake Lady, you're lucky to have those choices.
    I think DW said that Wally and Dollar General didn't have cloves so (as far as I know) it was grocery stores
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Davy Crockett, The closest town to us is 10 miles away and is about as podunk as it gets. I guess I'm very lucky they didn't inflate the price since we really don't have any choices without driving much further away to get to a 'real' store. I'm going back in the next few days and doing some serious stocking up on spices.
    Everything is always alright in the end.
    If it is not alright, then its not the end.

I'm like you and my closest town is about 10 miles.
    Very limited shopping choices.

My wife was trembling at a bottle of allspice for $6 instead of $9 for the cloves
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

http://www.atlanticspice.com/

1 POUND whole cloves, $6.35

1 POUND whole allspice $6.40

Vacuum seal them in canning jars and they'll keep for YEARS (preferably in a cool spot)

They also sell ground spices, and those will keep for at least a couple years if vacuum sealed in a glass jar, but their shelf life is probably 1/4 of that of the whole spices. Get a good spice grinder and you're set for life..

Summerthyme

Thanks for the resource, Summerthyme.
    I'll bookmark and start to stockpile.
    How do you grind spices?
    Dumb question, I think

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Thank you Summerthyme, I just place an order and bookmarked it for the future as well!

Davy Crockett, I have a coffee grinder that I no longer use for coffee that will grind very fine. They aren't expensive at all...

Cool, thanks Lady Lake

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

Unless you have an apple tree, it is probably a lot cheaper to just buy a large #10 can of applesauce from Sam's or a cheap grocery store.

That is how our entire extended family makes it. Put it in the crock pot with more sugar, a lot of cinnamon and let it cook down.