Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking from preps

Default Cooking from preps

Someone on here long ago posted that a quick "convenience" food dinner from preps is (home) canned ham and a box or two of scalloped potatoes.

Lastnight, I was busy and didn't have much time, so I threw that together and served a salad and veggies on the side. EVERYONE loved it.

It's easy and a no-brainer. So whoever posted that, thank you!

I am trying to make a list of easy no-brainer dinners like that.

So far, I have....
    *Canned chicken, bbq sauce and buns. (or canned pork, or canned beef)
    *Tuna (duh)
    *canned mushrooms in marsala sauce, plus canned chicken and a bit of milk or cream. served over pasta.

Default Excellent thread idea!

I only have a few ideas right off of the top of my head, but want to jump in here and let you know that I love these kinds of threads .

For my money, first of all, canned cream of mushroom soup makes anything good. All of those "cream of" soups are good in a pinch.

Also, white rice with any of the canned meats, with salsa and cheese sauce all stirred together and baked is cheap and good. I grab that stuff EVERY time they're on sale.

Even though those "Ready Rice" bags of pre-cooked rice are very expensive, they would be wonderful to keep around because all they need is a heat source to perk them up.( Used to be, you could find them on sale for 1.50$, or so, but now they are sky high. I keep my eyes open anyway, just in case.)

Thats all I have for now! the experts will chime in shortly, I'm sure

Quick and easy from my home canned foods (except the noodles).

Chicken, broth, veges, noodles. Walla! Hot homemade chicken soup and fresh loaf of homemade bread. One of our most favorite meals on cold winter days.

Use potatoes or rice instead of noodles. Make a cream sauce or tomato based sauce you now have a hotdish.

Canned Chicken + Salsa + Beans is a great burrito

Canned Chicken + Canned Potatoes + Canned Carrots, Fried with a little Italian Dressing makes a great skillet meal the kids love.

Canned chicken stirfried with asian sesame ginger marinade and an assortment of rehydrated dehydrated vegetables.

Can or pint jar of canned hamburger + can of corn +can of spaghetti with tomato sauce(Chef Boyardee type). Heat thru in skillet or top with cheese and bake until cheese bubbles. Good doctored up with diced onion and bell pepper.

I would love to see recipes here using dehydrated and freeze-dried foods. Anyone have any good ones?
    “It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.” [May 1765 Speech to the House of Burgesses] Patrick Henry

I like to rehydrate some dehydrated potato slices, and put them into a lightly greased, (or sprayed with Pam) cassarole pan. I put them in, in layers and top each layer with some rehydrated dried onions, and some sliced up canned Vienna sausages, until the cassarole pan is just almost full. ( or use diced canned ham, spam, etc. You can also use freeze dried ham or sausage crumbles if that's what you have on hand, or prefer)

After I've put all of the layers into the pan, I mix up some canned cheddar cheese soup with milk. Making a fairly thick, but not too soupy mixture, and pour that over the top. (you can use reconstituted dried instant milk) I'll add some salt and pepper and different dried herbs to taste to the milk and soup mixture before pouring over the potatoes. Currently I'm using some Thyme, and small amount of rosemary.

Then you just cover it with foil and cook it at 350* or so, for about an hour. Take the foil off off for the last 20 minutes or so to brown the cheese sauce just a bit. Test the taters to make sure they are done, and there you go. Add some kind of veggie, (fresh, dehydrated, or canned) or salad , and you have a great meal of Augratin Potatoes. And of course some homemade bisquits or bread goes great with it as well.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine in GA View Post
    I would love to see recipes here using dehydrated and freeze-dried foods. Anyone have any good ones?
    I've had good luck with Peggy Layton's cookbooks:

Cookin' With Home Storage
    Cookin' With Beans and Rice
    Cookin' With Powdered Milk
    Cookin' With Potatoes
    Cookin' With Dried Eggs

See http://peggylayton.net.

The Emergency Essentials website also has a good storage-food recipe section:

http://beprepared.com/recipes.asp_Q_...name_E_Recipes
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Chicken and dumplings made from canned or freeze dried Chicken and dehydrated veggies is also good. Make your own favorite from scratch bisquit dough for the dumplings. Mmmm the ultimate comfort food.

Another one that I like, is to take a box of stuffing mix. (or use your own dried croutons and make your own stuffing). Cook that and put into a greased pan. Then add some rehydrated freeze dried or dehydrated broccoli, over the top of the stuffing. Then add in a can (or some freeze dried) chicken or turkey. (drain the chicken if using canned) Then make a hollandaise sauce. I like the Knorr brand hollandaise mix. Pour that over the top of the cassarole. Top that with either dried bread crumbs mixed up with a little butter, or better yet, if you have it on hand, are those French's dried fried onions. (like the ones that you put on top of green bean cassarole.) Put into the oven at 350* for about 30 minutes until bubbly and heated through.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Cyberiot, I will be getting one of her books. Thanks!