Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking from preps

Quote Originally Posted by alytwo View Post
    Cyberiot, I will be getting one of her books. Thanks!
    You are most welcome, alytwo.

At my BOL, I put together an excellent apple cake from Ms. Layton's book using dehydrated apples and powdered shortening from the mid-1990s. No deaths to report yet.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

No recipes to report........I just have to come into the kitchen and calm down a bit before I shoot myself or walk out of this office today.

I hate it here!

Is the coffee fresh?

On second thought, no, I don't need any more caffiene.

I just read something from a recipe book from UK during WWII (Margurite Patton). She said that if you reconstitute dried eggs and then spoon the stuff into egg cups and steam them for a while, it has the same consistancy of a hard boiled egg....I thought that was good to know.

Home made Pasta Fagioli

Most of these ingredients I have in both fresh and freeze dried. So when the time comes and fresh is harder to find, I can use freeze dried/canned.

1 can tomato sauce
    1 can cannelli beans (white beans) (or 2 cups of dried, prepared)
    1 can kidney beans (red beans) (or 2 cups of dried, prepared)
    1/2 lb of ground beef or Italian sausage (optional)
    3 stalks of celery diced (or 2 cups freeze dried)
    1/2 onion diced (or 1 cup freeze dried)
    3 cups of short cut pasta (like ditalini or small bow ties)
    minced garlic to taste
    Olive oil
    salt, pepper, season to taste
    1 can chicken broth
    Parmasean cheese

In a stockpot, put olive oil, garlic and ground beef to saute. Brown the beef.

Add cans of tomato sauce, onion, celery, beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. If not enough stock, add water to cover contents.

When boiling, add pasta and lower to medium-low to simmer for 30-40 minutes. Pour into bowl, sprinkle with cheese and serve with homemade bread for dunking.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

www.dehydrate2store.com has recipes for dehydrated foods - we love the scalloped potatoes (added fresh chives)and we fight over the peach crumble (added oatmeal to the topping) MM

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    www.dehydrate2store.com has recipes for dehydrated foods - we love the scalloped potatoes (added fresh chives)and we fight over the peach crumble (added oatmeal to the topping) MM
    I love this website! I've made scalloped potatoes from dehydrated potatoes and they were great (haven't tried the peach crumble yet)

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    not to drift this thread, but I don't know how to start a thread.. so, does anyone know if you can dehydrate lemon or orange slices, then re-dydrate them later for recipes? I had purchased some dehydrated banana chips and am going to put them in hot water, to see if they can be rehydrated and used in banana bread. Does anyone know that? pm me if you know. thanks, rosie

For sure, banana slices work just fine when rehydrated and used in banana bread (probably not as good in something like banana cream pie, however).

Basic rule of thumb would be "any recipe where the texture of the fresh fruit or vegetable matters probably won't work very well with rehydrated items". And some times it just depends on your tolerance for "different"... I think rehydrated sweet pepper dices are just fine in Spanish rice and other casserole type dishes, but some of the kids think they're "too mushy".

I doubt you'd be remotely happy with using lemon slices on a beverage, for just one example. And I suspect that citrus fruit may not dehydrate all that well, mostly because it's SO juicy. But it can't hurt to try- buy one or two fruits, and see what you get! Worse case, you lost the cost of a couple oranges...

Summerthyme

I dehydrated lemons once, and wasn't very happy with them. I thought they developed a rather bitter taste after a few months.

thanks to both of you. I was just thinking how nice it would be to have dried citrus but be able to rehydrate them to use for juices but I guess not. Good to know about the bananas, tho. that might make a wonderful treat when needed.