Thread: How much flour does one cup of wheat berries make???....I'll tell ya....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oh - did all this grinding by hand. If I/we do this a few times a week I will have spectacular looking arms and shoulders - it's a great workout!
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Good job! And yes, it's VERY handy to know about how much you have on hand, in terms of what it will make in "finished food" terms.

One thing... that's why commercial bakers or even serious cooks WEIGHT their flour, sugar, etc (but especially flour) when making bread, cakes, etc. Because 1 cup of flour may weigh up to 20% more or less depending on the humidity at the time. So 1 cup of "damp" flour will work differently than 1 cup of "dry" (light) flour in a bread recipe.

Recipes make up for that by saying "4-5 cups of flour" and then "add flour until dough is workable or no longer sticks to the side of the pan". But most commercial bakers don't have time to fiddle with that... they need to dump in the right amount of flour every time. Hence... they weigh it. And all their recipes are in pounds and ounces (or kilos and grams)...

Summerthyme