Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much flour does one cup of wheat berries make???....I'll tell ya....

Yes lurker thanks for that info. Our CGM got here last week and I was so surprised at how pretty it is. I really like the white porcelain type finish on it. And the wheat stem on the sides tops off the whole look. Hubby noticed that right off. Haven't used it yet but plan on it soon.

lurker, how did you mount yours? We're thinking of putting ours on a board but may order the wall mount accesory.

Leslie

I forgot who posted it but they suggested a 2x12 and clamped to the counter; that's what I did. This way I can remove it to store and it's not out in the open.

I took a new piece of 2x12x36". Mounted the mill about 15" or so from one end and of course centered on the board. I used stainless steel bolts and acorn nuts (to give a finished appearance that also is easy to clean and won't cut your hand if you bump into it). I had to inset the bolts on the back of the board so they wouldn't interfere with the counter, etc. I think the bolts were 2 1/2" x 3/8" - not sure though, they fit the hole perfectly in the mill.

I then purchased two new 6" C clamps (I wanted everything clean and new for this) to hold down to the counter. I'm going over to a friends shop soon and will acquire 4 pieces of plate steel that will be 4"x4". These will go into the corners on the 2x12 where the clamps mount and under the counter-top where the clamps mount. This way the little 3/4" clamp face won't be digging into the particle board of the counter or the 2x12. I'll mount with small flush fitting screws and glue.

Oh - as always, everything was fitted first before final torquing of nuts, etc. but before I attached everything I took a sander with 80 grit paper to the 2x12 to make it smooth, round off corners/edges and knock the first layer of 'stuff' off from the outside; makes me feel like it's clean and OK to work around my food.

I'm going to attach (try to) the pic's. If they're not there it's because W7 didn't strip my personal info out and I removed them or the board just didn't play nice with my pic's again.

Oh - and Mama10Bears.........see the cookies in the bag on the left of the mill!!

Bolts.jpg

FullMount - Copy.jpg
    Last edited by Lurker; 03-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Wonderful post, thank you. As I read along I was hoping for a photo!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyfizzle View Post
    Wonderful post, thank you. As I read along I was hoping for a photo!
    You're very welcome.
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Oh - and Mama10Bears.........see the cookies in the bag on the left of the mill!!

Bolts.jpg

FullMount - Copy.jpg
    You're teasing me! I'm gonna tell! No fair! He's got cookies and I don't!
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Ten Bears View Post
    You're teasing me! I'm gonna tell! No fair! He's got cookies and I don't!
    Obama says he's going to have to give you some. It's only fair.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Yep, that's about the amounts I got too; I've not used it this past couple of weeks with house-mate not eating wheat for a month (though he had a bit a couple of days ago and no reaction so probably no problem) but I will try weighing the grain vs. flour next time. Most cooking here is done by weight (I hate that but I have a scale) especially baking, for exactly the reasons that Summertyme mentions, in a very humid climate the flour can vary a lot. For home cooking it doesn't matter much but for commercial cooking it does.

My CLM (that's to Dilligif) is now set up pretty much the ways yours is, minus the back bolts. I've just got it on two good c clamps directly on the old, thiner table (which I don't care if it gets marks on it and is on its last legs anyway). It is a bit much for me to use it for very long, but it is a lot easier than the tiny little mill I got in 1999 in the US. I may see if I can wash that one out and use it for non-wheat stuff when my allergic friend is visiting; she used to live here which is when I used that mill the most.

It is amazing the difference between fresh ground wheat flour and what they have in the shops here...
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats