Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why didn't top tray dehydrate as fast?

Default why didn't top tray dehydrate as fast?

Finally I was able to buy the Excalibur 3926T dehydrator & dried 8# frozen corn last night. Started at 6PM and set timer for 10 hours. Instruction booklet (if you call it that) said 6-10 hrs for corn. Not much info in this booklet. Guess they want me to buy the book they sell. I checked it at 10PM after 4 hours & all trays except the top one (of 9) was drying. Corn in the very top tray was still cold & wet to the touch. I transferred that tray to the middle. LOVE the timer. It shut off after 10 hrs & I have great corn this morning. Is the reason the upper tray dried last because the moisture rises up & out at the top? Is it normal? Want to make sure my machine is good & couldn't find any FAQs to answer this. Upgrading from small presto dehydrator & haven't done much. Have concentrated on canning for past 2 yrs & plan this yr is to learn dehydrating & do as much as possible. Bananas drying right now. Peppers will go in tonight. Yep plan on wearing it out!

It's normal (either that or we both have defective dehydrators)

Just kidding. The top tray dries slower because it's above the fan, so the air doesn't hit it. Try moving the trays around (middle trays up or down, top and bottom trays to the middle)
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Maddymae,

Who did you order from? I got the book with mine (Amazon). It is a good book - lots of specifics. I didn't order the book, and I didn't pay extra for it. My model is 9 trays, nothing fancy - basic black and no timer. I would call the manufacturer. The site dehydrate2store has many very informative YouTubes. I found the helpfull.

Yes, top tray will take longer. I either leave it empty, or rotate it with the others.

All the best,
    Faroe.

I have been using my large round American Harvest for years with 9-15 trays at a time on it and the fan in that unit seems to circulate the heated air just fine. I never have to move a tray around and they all are dried at the same time, same consistancy. It seems to move the heated air up the middle of the trays and it hits the rounded top and is funneled back down over the entirety of the trays. Just my experience. Never had an Excalibar - way out of my budget forever!

Simple solution? Place what takes a shorter time to dry on top shelf. I have had my Excalibur 9 tray for two years and it is a great dehydrator! Also, it vents out the front... The door is open on three sides for venting- door on both sides & top of the door.

Oh good, seems it normal. Kind of made me second guess when I checked and that top row was still cold. I bought direct from mfg for extended warranty & online special at the time. We both work full time and wanted timer so we don't have to worry about getting home in time or waiting until the weekend. Thanks for replies and dehydrate2store.

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    Oh good, seems it normal. Kind of made me second guess when I checked and that top row was still cold. I bought direct from mfg for extended warranty & online special at the time. We both work full time and wanted timer so we don't have to worry about getting home in time or waiting until the weekend. Thanks for replies and dehydrate2store.
    OMGosh, just read your OP more closely. TEN HOURS?! No way, something wrong there. It should NOT be cold and wet after that length of time. Yes, dries slower, but wouldn't be cold after TEN HOURS OF DRYING. Sorry, I hadn't paid closer attention My Excalibur has a timer and I have only noticed a slight difference in drying time on that top tray. See if you can use someone else's Excalibur and compare to see if something is wrong with yours.

No I checked it after 4 hrs and it was still cold. I thought it odd the top tray was still cold and wet and all other trays were warm and dry to touch. After 10 hrs it was ALL perfect. It was great to be able to get on TOL and be reassured. Bananas did great yesterday. I think I'm going to love this machine! Got that rush again when we sat jar on the pantry shelf last night (like when we started canning). Hooray! I've had visions for that shelf for a while now and the first jar is the beginning! Now if our garden will cooperate this year......MM
    8# frozen corn = 1/2 gal. dehydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by maddymae View Post
    No I checked it after 4 hrs and it was still cold. I thought it odd the top tray was still cold and wet and all other trays were warm and dry to touch. After 10 hrs it was ALL perfect. It was great to be able to get on TOL and be reassured. Bananas did great yesterday. I think I'm going to love this machine! Got that rush again when we sat jar on the pantry shelf last night (like when we started canning). Hooray! I've had visions for that shelf for a while now and the first jar is the beginning! Now if our garden will cooperate this year......MM
    8# frozen corn = 1/2 gal. dehydrated.
    After 4 hours, nothing is cold when I am dehydrating in my Excalibur, not even that top rack. I have only noticed a slight difference with the top rack just drying a little slower, nothing like you described. Could be a model difference, but I don't know. Yes, Excalibur is a great dehydrator. Oh, the book that comes with it? GREAT BOOK! It is likely you can find it on Amazon for a lot less.

I've had things still cold in the Excalibur after several hours, but it's usually my fault for not turning the temp high enough. (not always, though)

Maddymae, if you have a Ball Blue Book, it has directions for dehydrating in it, too. I use that one more than the one that came with my Excalibur or the extra one I ordered with it.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown