Thread: Home made Mayo...

Default Home made Mayo...

Well Here it is again

Into food processor add...
    2 eggs 1 TBSP mustard of your choice. Wet type. If you use dry cut back to a tsp.
    2 TBSP lemon juice
    1 tsp salt

Pulse a couple of times to blend.
    Turn on and start to slowly add 2 or so cups of oil until very thick.
    You can add different stuffs to it for different flavors.
    If by some chance it "breaks". pour into bowl and clean processor. Add 1 egg and a touch of water. Pulse a couple of times and then start to add the other back into it.
    After you have it very thick keep the machine running for a minute longer to make sure all oil has been emulsified.
    Now this is the hard part...let sit on counter at room temp for a couple 3 hours so that the lemon juice can kill off anything bad.

Here is an Alton Brown video to help if needed.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bKya9uMHYs
    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Ty ty ty!!!
    "Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."

~ Our Lady to Juan Diego, December 9, 1531

I remember making this in Girl Scouts, way back in the day before food processors.

We put the ingredients into a clean mayo jar and all of us girls spent the afternoon shaking, and shaking and shaking the jar until we had mayo!

For some reason, it was an awesome experience that I still remember. I think it was because as a 6 yr old in the city, I realized that food came from someplace other then the grocery store shelf.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

Wonder how long the shelf life is for homemade mayo. (informative video btw )

Joy, it would probably depend on how fresh your eggs were, but most recipes say a week. I regularly keep it up to 3 weeks and it has never gone bad. (I make it the same as Dread, but use vinegar instead of lemon juice)
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Joy, it would probably depend on how fresh your eggs were, but most recipes say a week. I regularly keep it up to 3 weeks and it has never gone bad. (I make it the same as Dread, but use vinegar instead of lemon juice)
    Thanks, that helps to know. I've used my food saver (jar attachment) to prolong yogurt & yogurt cheese in the fridge maybe this would work as well. I'll have to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Refrigerated, right?

Just checking...
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne