Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get rid of pickle smell in 5 gal buckets

Default how to get rid of pickle smell in 5 gal buckets

I have 20 , 5 gallon pickle buckets. I have washed them with dawn dishsoap, rubbed the insides with lemon juice & baking soda, poured straight bleach in them , let them sit awhile & rinsed them out.

After about 10 minutes the pickle smell is back as strong as ever. How do I get rid of the smell?

I have gotten these buckets & lids before & never had any problem getting the smell to leave.
    I would try letting them sit in the sun if the sun would ever come out here for more than 10 minutes.

TIA
    ?

Set them out in direct sunlight. I've gotten some of the worst stains and smells out of plastic this way.

FWIW, I have some buckets that I *NEVER* got the pickle smell out of. Vinegar, baking soda, (combined even!!) bleach, soap, sun, soaking, etc. Worked on those 4 buckets off and on for 4 months. Still the pickle remained.

So, I put laundry detergent in them (That's about a 5-6+ year supply). Now the pickle smell is Zote smell. Might also be good buckets for charcoal, or chicken feed, etc.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what lemon juice would do????
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Do you have any Oxy-Clean? It might be worth a try. Fill the buckets with hot water and dump some of the powder in. Let them soak over night.

I had some large plastic barrels that had that smell. I tries most everything. I had read in one of the blogs to use coffee grounds. I got some used coffee grounds from the office and put them in the water that the barrel held. The odor was reduced. I then finished with an air dry..

Try charcoal. I once forgot a raw chicken in the microwave and found several days later. Backing soda helped but after I set some briquettes in for a few days the smell went away.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a wash rag. Pour enough in the bottom of the bucket, and wipe the bottom and sides down with it. If you have a second bucket to "de-vinegar", you can use the isopropyl in the bucket a few times, so pour it in to the next on and keep going. As soon as you wash out one, fill it with water, and swish it around.

The Acetic acid (vinegar) gets trapped in the pores in the plastic, and the Isopropyl does a good job of releasing it even when detergents can't.

Loup
    Obama is a PsychoSomatic Disorder: He is a Psycho that is trying to get you to take the Soma, so you will not see the Disorder that his "Hope and Change" is spreading.

Default How appropriate ...

I was literally just looking on the net for information on this topic ... should have started here and saved a few minutes. lol

I successfully got the smell out of a glass gallon jar but not the metal lid. I want to reuse the jar to store raw honey I've got coming my way. Or is there something I can put on the mouth of the jar beween the jar and lid, like plastic wrap or ??? if I can't get the pickle smell out of the lid.

Any suggesstions to use on the metal lid? I've tried soaking the lid in water and baking soda overnight (which is what worked for the jar), I've also tried equal parts of vinegar and water. What else?

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post

Any suggestions to use on the metal lid? I've tried soaking the lid in water and baking soda overnight (which is what worked for the jar), I've also tried equal parts of vinegar and water. What else?
    Tried just dry baking soda over night, didn't help.