Thread: Recipe for Cheese, Please!

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Default Recipe for Cheese, Please!

Well, the kids are all gone and now the fridge is slap full of goats' milk! We've made some chevre -- fresh, white cheese -- and we're looking for some other recipes. Anybody have a good cheese recipe? I would like something that we could age like cheddar. Dh would like something more familiar, like American. But I think anything that had a bit more flavor to it than the chevre would be worth a try.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I did not catch your location and tempertures do influance choice of cheese. Off hand I would steer you towards Italian and Greek cheeses as they are goat experts. I realy like the fresh, unaged goat cheeses but of course you want something that is aged.
    There must be a site that has all the info you want. Search for 'Goat Cheddar Cheese'?
    Sorry I'm a dunce, this area was a cheese producer because the roads were so poor, but after WW2 switched to beef production.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Feta. Lots of flavor, and easy to do. While it is not technically "aged," it should store well in the salty brine. Sorry I can't give you the recipe. I don't have that book any more. I think it was out of "Goats Produce Too."

Faroe

You're gonna need a cheese press to get "aged" cheese which are considered hard cheese. and you probably will do best using a purchsed culture.

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/CHEESE.HTML

Check out this site..it has "how to" pictures too!

Thumbs up Try these ...

Goat cheese info: Lots of info on the web:

Hoegger Supply Co.

Caprine Supply

American Dairy Goat Assoc.

All three are wealths of info.

Top two sell cheese making kits ... well worth the funds to get you started off right.

I have a cheese press I bought in the middle 70's. Still works great!

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Little RedRidingHood View Post

I have a cheese press I bought in the middle 70's. Still works great!
    So, what's your recipe?

(I am aware of those other sources.....I got my rennet from Hoegger's. Just figured if you have a recipe that works for you, I would like to try it.)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

This is THE cheese making place. All those listed above get their stuff from Ricki.

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

I been using her cultures for years and her book is THE book on the process. Full of receipes. For my "tastes" I have difficulty with using plain rennet, I really don't like the texture, it's too rubbery for me but makes great mozzarella.

I think I have posted this site before, it's one of my fave's.

She gives step by step instructions on making different cheeses and tries a new one every month.

I love making cream cheese, it freezes well and defrosts better than store bought imho, have made Feta, and cheddar and next on my list is Monterey Pepper Jack. yum

There are instructions on making a homemade cheese press (which we did) and numerous tips.

She has recipes for breads, homemade mixes, and she makes me laugh.

Cheesemaking | Chickens in the Road

Default The Brits make a white kind of cheddar...

That I ate while over there less than a year ago. It was pretty good, and milder than what we consider cheddar cheese in the US.
    You might find a recipe for that.