Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheddar Garlic Drop Biscuits

Default Cheddar Garlic Drop Biscuits

Posted here in addition to the other thread in the kitchen.

Cheddar/Garlic Drop Biscuits

Prheat oven to 425F

2 1/4 cups Baking mix (Bisquick or equivalent)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup whole milk buttermilk
    1 Tbsp minced garlic
    1 Tbsp dried chives
    1/2 stick cold butter, cubed
    1/2 stick butter, melted with garlic powder added-set aside

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in cold butter cubes until mixture resembles small peas. Add the grated cheese and chives. Mix until uniformly blended. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk and add the garlic. Stir until it just comes together. Drop by large spoonfuls on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until golden brown.

Brush baked biscuits with garlic butter. Serve hot! Make LOTS!!

Freezing Instructions:
    Put the baking sheets with the RAW biscuits in the freezer (you can put the biscuits very close together, as long as they are not touching to get more on one pan) and freeze until solid (several hours or overnight). Remove frozen biscuits from sheets and seal in a zipper top bag. Purge the air and seal. Return to the freezer.

To bake from frozen: Preheat oven to 425F. Place biscuits on parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and delicious. Brush with melted garlic butter.

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

I make these often. They are just like the biscuits Red Lobster serves. Yumm!

That sounds gooooooooddddddd
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Parakeet View Post
    I make these often. They are just like the biscuits Red Lobster serves. Yumm!
    I have seen copycat recipes online for Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay biscuits. They use garlic powder and milk in them.

I played around with the recipes using buttermilk and baking soda because I wanted the extra loft this acid/base combination gives, as well as the extra 'twang' factor in the flavor department. I also used real garlic as I find garlic powder to be kind of harsh and bitter when used in any real quantity. I added the chives for an additional layer of flavor in the allium family.

My guests (all "foodies") proclaimed them to be much better than the original after which they were mocked up, DESPITE using a baking mix (HORRORS!! LOL) ALL of them asked me to email them the recipe so when ASimplePineBox asked for it in my original thread in the kitchen, i figured I would share it with y'all, too.

They REALLY are much better than Dead....er, I mean, Red Lobster.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, they accompanied:

smoked Memphis style pork ribs
    deviled eggs
    potato salad
    Southern green beans
    Peach cobbler
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

Thank You! These sound soooo wonderful!

AD, I felt like Pavlov's dog when I read this recipe! Looks delicious and I plan to try it very soon.

One question: the recipe calls for a tablespoon of minced garlic, plus 1/2 stick of melted butter with garlic powder added. How much garlic powder do you add to the melted butter?
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

Oh, I love it Angledance! Thanks for posting the recipe, this is on my to-do short list. DD has been asking for cheese-pepper bread too ... Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks. I copied the recipe and will try soon. ;-]
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7777&dateline=1296255  909 Just exactly WHEN, is the law so corrupted that it is immoral to obey it ?
    Citizens of Nazi Germany failed to answer that question correctly. Will the citizens of 21stCentury America do the same ?
    Or will they regain control of their government before it is too late ?

Big Red,

Sorry if I did not make it clear enough. 1/2 a stick of COLD cubed butter is cut into the baking mix. the other 1/2 stick of butter is melted and has however much garlic powder you want to use in it as it is used to brush the bicsuits when they come out of the oven. I used about 1/4 tsp when I mafe them as there is a good amount of minced garlic in the biscuits themselves.

Does that help?
    Last edited by AngelDance; 04-21-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: quoted the wrong person
    Harriet Tubman

Walt Whitman

Default Like

And if I recall, Bisquick makes a ready made mix for these as well. Might make a decent prep item, for those nostalgic moments when you need a trip back to the good times.