Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on baptizing at home.

Rosslunch two thoughts came to my mind after reading your last post.The first revolved around the question of Gods providence and how he allows those who he puts in positions of authority both in the Church and in the world,to become great sinners.I guess it revolves around the question of Free Will.The second thought that came to me was that it really is amazing that a Pope, as depraved as this Pope apparently was,would not proceed on in his Papacy and destroy the foundations and the teachings of Jesus 's body which is the Church. Thats when one really begins to ponder the promise that the gates of hell would not prevail aganst it.Thank you Jesus jk

Quote Originally Posted by stpatrick View Post
    Rosslunch two thoughts came to my mind after reading your last post.The first revolved around the question of Gods providence and how he allows those who he puts in positions of authority both in the Church and in the world,to become great sinners.I guess it revolves around the question of Free Will.The second thought that came to me was that it really is amazing that a Pope, as depraved as this Pope apparently was,would not proceed on in his Papacy and destroy the foundations and the teachings of Jesus 's body which is the Church. Thats when one really begins to ponder the promise that the gates of hell would not prevail aganst it.Thank you Jesus jk
    StPatrick, I remembered the business about the incestuous affair with his daughter, but I didn't know the half of it. It was so out of control (there was much more than what I posted) that only by the will of God did the Church survive.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death , but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The one true church are all those who belong to Jesus and to whom He is their savior.

The one true church are individuals who comprise the faithful.

It is not any particular organization and the only head is Christ Jesus.

I understand why many people feel the need to have human leaders. I accept that.

But please don't force it on those who have one high priest and Lord - Jesus.

It isn't complicated. A child can understand it.

John 3 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

As for communion, Jesus said 'whenever' you do this, do it in remembrance of me.
    There is no requirement except for the initial profession of their faith in public and to take communion with wine and bread at least once as part of the Christian community.

1 Corinthians 11:25
    In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

And TJ - you have said over and over again since you started here at TTOL that the term CHRISTIAN belongs to the RCC. You have made statements such as 'Christian's have never taught that' when discussing your disagreement with dispensationalist beliefs (and misrepresenting what dispensationalists believe by the way) and you continue to use the term Christian (and I have asked you to stop and you respond by claiming the RCC is the one true church and are the true Christians) so you are now backing away from that and respecting that there are Christians outside of the RCC and do not believe the same rituals, etc. that you do then we are square.

Ross - I have no idea what you are talking about in your post but thank you for trying.

I think I am done posting to this thread. I've stood against the cannibal and blood drinking claims, and also that there is no evidence that Peter started the RCC, and that pedophile protectors should not be the ones anyone puts their trust in for their eternity. I realize you guys have a passion for your denomination but please accept that not everyone agrees with the practices and ideals of the RCC>

EVERY denomination has its problems. That does not make anyone a hypocrite unless any of them think that they alone stand above the rest.

Salvation is by Jesus alone, by faith alone, by grace alone and YES - you can be SURE of your salvation and not have to wonder if you are or are not eternally saved.

1 John 5:13
    [ Concluding Affirmations ] I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

And in case anyone did not read the above with the gentleness and love in which it is being said from my heart to yours, please try to understand that the written word does not have a voice inflection to denote the tone in which something is being said. So please read it with the compassion and love that is in my heart in this post. There i no offense intended and hope that this post has clarified my position as I step away from this thread.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Thank you Emily. You have eased my heart once again. You are a blessing to all of us on this forum. AL

Quote Originally Posted by RossLunch View Post
    Emily, I was not going to bring this up (trying to abide by the words in your signature) but the items I list below are apropos:

1. Jesus is the only mediator we need.

Heb 12:24
    to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of
    sprinkling that speaks better things than [that of] Abel.

2. The cause of the Reformation was the corruption and
    the profligate nature of the Pope i.e.
    a. The sale of indulgences.
    b. Simony
    c. Pope Alexander VI incestuous affair with his daughter and
    his two sons incestuous affair with the same daughter
    (jealousy caused one son to kill the other).
    I see some very strong misconceptions about what the Catholic Church teaches. It appears to me that you believe that the Catholic Church does not teach Jesus alone is our savior (if I misunderstand, please let me know :) ) - I take this from your commnet:
    "1. Jesus is the only mediator we need."
    If by this you mean that Jesus and Jesus alone is our savior, then this is exactly what the Catholic Church teaches. The Catholic Church indeed teaches that Jesus is the ONE Mediator of the New Covenant yes. He and He alone is our savior.

If you mean that Jesus and Jesus alone is our only mediator in every possible manner of mediation, then this the Church does not teach, for it is not supportable by scripture or the historical teachings of the Church from the time of the Apostles on forwards.

The Cathollic Church teaches that while Christ and Christ alone is the One Mediator of the New Covenant, our Savior, we as christians participate with Him in His mediation but in a subordinate manner - such as in prayer for one another.

If Jesus was the only mediator, then we couldn't pray for one another. But the bible commands that we do. Obvously the bible is not going to contradict itself in a matter of doctrine, so obviously Jesus being the ONE mediator doesn't mean no one else participates in mediation between God and man.

When we intercede for one another, we are coming before God on behalf of another, we are inded mediating.

It is by virtue of who Christ is that He is the One Mediator between God and man.

It is because of who Christ is, and who we are in Christ, that we participate in His ONE Mediation as members of His Body.

Can the head of a body can function by itself? Does not the head need the body to carry out its desires?

To say that Christ is the only mediator ever is to propose that Christ is a bodiless head. Can you imagine a head without a body accomplishing anything? No, it ineeds its hands and feet, etc.

I would ask you to consider this - Paul tells us that in his own sufferings, he was making up for what was LACKING in the sufferings of Christ on behalf of the body of Christ.
    Colossians 1:24:
    I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,
    Now, obviously the scriptures do not lie, so Paul was doing exactly what he stated he was doing.

How could Paul do so if what is claimed above is true? How could this be true if Jesus is the only mediator? Jesus is not the only mediator, but he is the ONE Mediator without which all our mediation would be worthless. It is HIS Mediation we participate in. It is His Mediation Paul participated in, not his own.

As far as the cause of the Reformation goes, I see a very slanted view of history being presented.

The reason I say this is because Luther did not demonstrate he had a proper grasp of the Catholic Church's teaching regarding Indulgences, which he attacked. So what he started attacking was not even truly what the Catholic Church taught.

It was Luther's faulty grasp of Church teaching that created a false image of the Church, and it was this false idea that he revolted against.

That is not true reformation.

As a result, the reformation he began could not reform the Church. Instead it caused a revolt against the Church. The true reformation which followed is known as the Counter Reformation in which thousands who became disillusioned with Luther and the Reformation returned to the Catholic Church.

As far as the person of Pope Alexander VI goes, and the attacks leveled against him, sources are in disagreement as to even what the accusations of incest are . some say his daughter . some say his sisters . . some say there is no evidece for such an accusation at all.

Regardless, the personal failings of any Pope do not make or change Church teaching, or break the Church or the Office of the Chair of Peter. Just as someone sitting in the office of the president of the United States might be a criminal, that does not invalidate the Office of President itself. It means someone corrupt is occupying it at that moment.

We do not hide from the scandals that have from time to time overtaken those in position of leadership. The fact that we are scandalized by such exceptions to the normal rule of the holiness of those who occupy such an office, stands witness to the spiritual ideal the Church presents to us:
    The same good principle is set forth by Leo XIII in his Letter of 8 September, 1889, to Cardinals De Luca, Pitra, and Hergenroether on the study of Church History: "The historian of the Church has the duty to dissimulate none of the trials that the Church has had to suffer from the faults of her children, and even at times from those of her own ministers." Long ago Leo the Great (440-461) declared, in his third homily for Christmas Day, that "the dignity of Peter suffers no diminution even in an unworthy successor" (cujus dignitas etiam in indigno haerede non deficit). The very indignation that the evil life of a great ecclesiastic rouses at all times (nobly expressed by Pius II in the above-mentioned letter to Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia) is itself a tribute to the high spiritual ideal which for so long and on so broad a scale the Church has presented to the world in so many holy examples, and has therefore accustomed the latter to demand from priests. "The latter are forgiven nothing", says De Maistre in his great work, "Du Pape", "because everything is expected from them, wherefore the vices lightly passed over in a Louis XIV become most offensive and scandalous in an Alexander VI" (II, c. xiv).

JAMES F. LOUGHLIN
    Transcribed by Gerard Haffner
    The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume I
    Copyright © 1907 by Robert Appleton Company

As far as what saved the Church, i can't agree with your conclusion. The Church did not need being saved. The Church did need reformation, and this came from within in the form of the Counter Reformation.

The Church as a whole does not forsake the faith just because some of its members, even leaders, sin, even if they sin badly.

I saw a signature in a post once:
    Don't leave Jesus because of Judas
    Judas was one of the original twelve - Jesus did not abandon the rest of the twelve and start over because of Judas. . Jesus did not abandon Judas' successor Mattias, because of Judas.

In comparison I would say this:

Don't reject the Catholic Church because of some bad popes . . .

Judas was an apostle . .. you can't get much higher in God's chain of command than that . .. so priests, bishops, even popes who sin or lead sinful lives are not enuogh reason to reject the teachings of the Catholic Church.

If anything, they are reasons to press in more strongly, hold on more tightly to the historic faith of the Church, given to us by the Apostles themselves.
    Last edited by Theresej; 05-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    The one true church are all those who belong to Jesus and to whom He is their savior.

I understand why many people feel the need to have human leaders. I accept that.

John 3 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

As for communion, Jesus said 'whenever' you do this, do it in remembrance of me.
    There is no requirement except for the initial profession of their faith in public and to take communion with wine and bread at least once as part of the Christian community.

In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

And TJ - you have said over and over again since you started here at TTOL that the term CHRISTIAN belongs to the RCC. You have made statements such as 'Christian's have never taught that' when discussing your disagreement with dispensationalist beliefs (and misrepresenting what dispensationalists believe by the way) and you continue to use the term Christian (and I have asked you to stop and you respond by claiming the RCC is the one true church and are the true Christians) so you are now backing away from that and respecting that there are Christians outside of the RCC and do not believe the same rituals, etc. that you do then we are square.

Ross - I have no idea what you are talking about in your post but thank you for trying.

I think I am done posting to this thread. I've stood against the cannibal and blood drinking claims, and also that there is no evidence that Peter started the RCC, and that pedophile protectors should not be the ones anyone puts their trust in for their eternity. I realize you guys have a passion for your denomination but please accept that not everyone agrees with the practices and ideals of the RCC>

EVERY denomination has its problems. That does not make anyone a hypocrite unless any of them think that they alone stand above the rest.

Salvation is by Jesus alone, by faith alone, by grace alone and YES - you can be SURE of your salvation and not have to wonder if you are or are not eternally saved.

[ Concluding Affirmations ] I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

And in case anyone did not read the above with the gentleness and love in which it is being said from my heart to yours, please try to understand that the written word does not have a voice inflection to denote the tone in which something is being said. So please read it with the compassion and love that is in my heart in this post. There i no offense intended and hope that this post has clarified my position as I step away from this thread.
    This one verse sums up how wrong the whole of your post is .....

Acts 2 : [42] And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post

Emily, I quoted your post, and should have been answering ThereseJ or Fisheater. I apologize for my error.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death , but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    This one verse sums up how wrong the whole of your post is .....

Acts 2 : [42] And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
    If those were the only words in the bible, you would be correct. However, there are many more that have been posted such as the COMMAND to teach all the nations to observe all he taught the apostles and that includes baptizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post
    I see some very strong misconceptions about what the Catholic Church teaches. It appears to me that you believe that the Catholic Church does not teach Jesus alone is our savior (if I misunderstand, please let me know :) ) - I take this from your commnet:
    If by this you mean that Jesus and Jesus alone is our savior, then this is exactly what the Catholic Church teaches. The Catholic Church indeed teaches that Jesus is the ONE Mediator of the New Covenant yes. He and He alone is our savior.

If you mean that Jesus and Jesus alone is our only mediator in every possible manner of mediation, then this the Church does not teach, for it is not supportable by scripture or the historical teachings of the Church from the time of the Apostles on forwards.

The Cathollic Church teaches that while Christ and Christ alone is the One Mediator of the New Covenant, our Savior, we as christians participate with Him in His mediation but in a subordinate manner - such as in prayer for one another.

If Jesus was the only mediator, then we couldn't pray for one another. But the bible commands that we do. Obvously the bible is not going to contradict itself in a matter of doctrine, so obviously Jesus being the ONE mediator doesn't mean no one else participates in mediation between God and man.

When we intercede for one another, we are coming before God on behalf of another, we are inded mediating.

It is by virtue of who Christ is that He is the One Mediator between God and man.

It is because of who Christ is, and who we are in Christ, that we participate in His ONE Mediation as members of His Body.

Can the head of a body can function by itself? Does not the head need the body to carry out its desires?

To say that Christ is the only mediator ever is to propose that Christ is a bodiless head. Can you imagine a head without a body accomplishing anything? No, it ineeds its hands and feet, etc.

I would ask you to consider this - Paul tells us that in his own sufferings, he was making up for what was LACKING in the sufferings of Christ on behalf of the body of Christ.
    I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up in my flesh what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ, for the sake of His body, which is the church,
    Now, obviously the scriptures do not lie, so Paul was doing exactly what he stated he was doing.

How could Paul do so if what is claimed above is true? How could this be true if Jesus is the only mediator? Jesus is not the only mediator, but he is the ONE Mediator without which all our mediation would be worthless. It is HIS Mediation we participate in. It is His Mediation Paul participated in, not his own.

As far as the cause of the Reformation goes, I see a very slanted view of history being presented.

The reason I say this is because Luther did not demonstrate he had a proper grasp of the Catholic Church's teaching regarding Indulgences, which he attacked. So what he started attacking was not even truly what the Catholic Church taught.

It was Luther's faulty grasp of Church teaching that created a false image of the Church, and it was this false idea that he revolted against.

As a result, the reformation he began could not reform the Church. Instead it caused a revolt against the Church. The true reformation which followed is known as the Counter Reformation in which thousands who became disillusioned with Luther and the Reformation returned to the Catholic Church.

As far as the person of Pope Alexander VI goes, and the attacks leveled against him, sources are in disagreement as to even what the accusations of incest are . some say his daughter . some say his sisters . . some say there is no evidece for such an accusation at all.

Regardless, the personal failings of any Pope do not make or change Church teaching, or break the Church or the Office of the Chair of Peter. Just as someone sitting in the office of the president of the United States might be a criminal, that does not invalidate the Office of President itself. It means someone corrupt is occupying it at that moment.

We do not hide from the scandals that have from time to time overtaken those in position of leadership. The fact that we are scandalized by such exceptions to the normal rule of the holiness of those who occupy such an office, stands witness to the spiritual ideal the Church presents to us:
    The same good principle is set forth by Leo XIII in his Letter of 8 September, 1889, to Cardinals De Luca, Pitra, and Hergenroether on the study of Church History: "The historian of the Church has the duty to dissimulate none of the trials that the Church has had to suffer from the faults of her children, and even at times from those of her own ministers." Long ago Leo the Great (440-461) declared, in his third homily for Christmas Day, that "the dignity of Peter suffers no diminution even in an unworthy successor" (cujus dignitas etiam in indigno haerede non deficit). The very indignation that the evil life of a great ecclesiastic rouses at all times (nobly expressed by Pius II in the above-mentioned letter to Cardinal Rodrigo Borgia) is itself a tribute to the high spiritual ideal which for so long and on so broad a scale the Church has presented to the world in so many holy examples, and has therefore accustomed the latter to demand from priests. "The latter are forgiven nothing", says De Maistre in his great work, "Du Pape", "because everything is expected from them, wherefore the vices lightly passed over in a Louis XIV become most offensive and scandalous in an Alexander VI" (II, c. xiv).

JAMES F. LOUGHLIN

As far as what saved the Church, i can't agree with your conclusion. The Church did not need being saved. The Church did need reformation, and this came from within in the form of the Counter Reformation.

The Church as a whole does not forsake the faith just because some of its members, even leaders, sin, even if they sin badly.

Judas was one of the original twelve - Jesus did not abandon the rest of the twelve and start over because of Judas. . Jesus did not abandon Judas' successor Mattias, because of Judas.

Judas was an apostle . .. you can't get much higher in God's chain of command than that . .. so priests, bishops, even popes who sin or lead sinful lives are not enuogh reason to reject the teachings of the Catholic Church.

If anything, they are reasons to press in more strongly, hold on more tightly to the historic faith of the Church, given to us by the Apostles themselves.
    Heb 12:24 says he is the Mediator, not one of the mediators.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post

JAMES F. LOUGHLIN

Uh Oh. Did you just say the Pope was fallible? I am learning something from this post.