Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinions on baptizing at home.

And each believes that their truth is, "answered with full scriptural support."

I only see two on this thread who have disagreed with everyone else. That being said, I do believe that, if a person is born again and loves the Lord with all their heart, that the baptizer does not have to be someone who is ordained--if that were the case, then Christians in foreign countries, where there are no churches, would be in big trouble.

The entire Operation Auca mission brought about by Jim Elliot, Nate Saint and others, was done in the middle of Ecuador--they had no ordained ministers to lead them to Christ and baptize them. Are they any less baptized than we are? Are they any less Christian? No. In fact, I believe that the Waodani people are probably better Christians than most American Christians, as they appreciate their faith and the sacrifice that the Lord has made for them much more than those of us who have access to "Christianity" on every street corner.

If Christians can only be baptized by ministers of some kind, why wouldn't God do the same for salvation?
    "Cats are so vile the Bible does not so much as mention them."

--Natty Threads

"I have come to the conclusion that people are strange."

--Firedance

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post
    Well here's the thing.

The scriptures you quoted have Jesus telling the Apostles to baptize. . not every believer to baptize. Jesus ordained the Apostles, sent them as God had sent Him. . with all the power and authority God sent the Son with, including the power and authority to pass on the same power and authority.

Those words were not spoken to ordinary believers, but the handpicked Apostles.

So, in the same way Jesus handpicked His Apostles, so those Apostles handpicked others to cotninue in their ministry, and sent them as Jesus and sent the Aposltes. . . those who were sent by the Aposltes, handpicked others and sent them with the same power and authoirty and they had been sent by the Apostles .. . and those sent by those where handpicked by the Apostles also handpicked others to send in the same power and authority.

These words were spoken by Jesus to those He chose and ordained to carry on His work as He was sent by the Father.

So, a command was never given to the ordinary believer, laity, to baptize.

That said, laity can baptize, even unbelivers can baptize in emergency situations, such as those first century catechumens who waited in prision to be sent to the arena to be eaten alive by lions. . . they had not yet been baptized, their catechumenate had not been finished (a period that could take up to 3 years at times), they had not yet been fully admitted entrance into the full life of the Church .. but facing sure death, they could be baptized by someone who was not ordained.

I don't mean this the way I'm sure you will take it, but I have a question.
    What color is the sun where you come from?
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death , but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodious Musician View Post
    I only see two on this thread who have disagreed with everyone else. That being said, I do believe that, if a person is born again and loves the Lord with all their heart, that the baptizer does not have to be someone who is ordained--if that were the case, then Christians in foreign countries, where there are no churches, would be in big trouble.

The entire Operation Auca mission brought about by Jim Elliot, Nate Saint and others, was done in the middle of Ecuador--they had no ordained ministers to lead them to Christ and baptize them. Are they any less baptized than we are? Are they any less Christian? No. In fact, I believe that the Waodani people are probably better Christians than most American Christians, as they appreciate their faith and the sacrifice that the Lord has made for them much more than those of us who have access to "Christianity" on every street corner.

If Christians can only be baptized by ministers of some kind, why wouldn't God do the same for salvation?
    While I agree God is not limited to the ordinary means He has given us, and while I have also said others can baptize when ordained ministers sent in apostolic succession are not available, I have never found an example of such an unoridained believer baptising in the scriptures.

Quote Originally Posted by RossLunch View Post
    I don't mean this the way I'm sure you will take it, but I have a question.
    What color is the sun where you come from?
    Strange question - I hope it is the same as it is where you come from. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Melodious Musician View Post

He did ... Most of you have taken the Verse ...To be born again ..to be some magical statement or prayer and puff ... you are saved.

You also have to Eat the Lamb that was Slain to be saved (Jn6[54] he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life),... And that can only come about by Apostolic Succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    He did ... Most of you have taken the Verse ...To be born again ..to be some magical statement or prayer and puff ... you are saved.

You also have to Eat the Lamb that was Slain to be saved (Jn6[54] he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life),...And that can only come about by Apostolic Succession.
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." Please expound and give scriptural references on the blue highlighted. Thank you.
    Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death , but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by RossLunch View Post
    "What we've got here is a failure to communicate." Please expound and give scriptural references on the blue highlighted. Thank you.
    1Cor.11

[23]For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
    [24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
    [25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
    [26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

The only one who has Authority for confection of the Eucharist is those in the Apostolic Succession.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    1Cor.11

[23]For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
    [24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
    [25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
    [26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

The only one who has Authority for confection of the Eucharist is those in the Apostolic Succession.
    OK. Where does it say this about only those in the Apostolic Succession in the bible?

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post
    Despite claims to the contrary I don't see the actual question answered:
    "Second question .... How Can the Holy Spirit .... The Giver of all Truth... Be guiding so many people to so many different truths ?"
    I saw an attempt at a response, but the response didn't address the question
    "How can The Holy Spriit, The Giver of all Truth be guiding so many people in so many different truths?"
    For instance . . take baptism . . there are many different beliefs and ALL claim to be led by the Holy Spirit in coming to their particular belief:
    • Some believe you must be baptized by water to be saved.
    • Others believe water Baptism is not necessary for salvation, but necessary as a matter of obedience.
    • Still others are adamant that water Baptism is optional.
    • Still others claim water Baptism was never for believers.
    • Still others claim that Baptism does not refer to water baptism but baptism in the Holy Spirit and forgo water baptism altogether.

All claim to be led by the Holy Spirit into their understanding of truth.

Yet each claim of the truth is different, even contradictory.

How can all make a valid claim they are being led by the Holy Spirit into this truth about Baptism and end up with such contradictory results?

Where do you draw the line?
    How do you know you have found 'the truth' and others have not?

Each of us are searching for the truth. Each of us believe we have found it. The rest is up to God.

Acts 17:11
    11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Each person needs to discern what they learn by testing it against scripture. That is why it is important to seek Him with all your heart. When you do, He does the rest.

The idea that the one who spoke the universe into existence and counts the hair on our head is not able to communicate to His creation who seek Him is unbelievable.

John 10:27
    My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

Romans 8:16
    The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.

I can put all my faith in Him to respond to my sincere search. That is His promise.

1 John 5:13
    I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe