Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood of Pope John Paul II to go on display at Vatican

Quote Originally Posted by bbwx View Post
    The first Catholic;

Luk 11:27-28 And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

An interesting choice of scrpture. It actually shows Jesus affirming the words of the woman in the crowd:

Actually, if one understands Hebrew idioms, Jesus was saying "YEA, indeed" . . In looking at the underlying Greek, what was translated "Yea rather" is:
    G3304
    μενοῦνγε
    menounge
    men-oon'-geh
    From G3303 and G3767 and G1065; so then at least: - nay but, yea doubtless (rather, verily).
    The translation rendered thusly:
    Luk 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.
    "Yea rather", as we see above, has the same meaning as "yea doubtless' or "yea verily"

"Yea doubless, yea verily, yea rather" is an AFFIRMATION that what the woman said is indeed true and the honor the woman was giving to Mary was indeed appropriate. In addtion to that honor, Jesus expands it them to include all who hear the word of God and keep it - including His mother, Mary.

This makes Mary DOUBLY BLESSED as not only is she blessed because she is His mother in actuallity, literally, she is ALSO blessed because she heard the word of God and KEPT IT.

So rather than being dismissal of what the woman said, Jesus AFFIRMED it and then gave it even more importance, whch applied to Mary foremost of all who heard and obeyed God in her perfect submission to His will
    "May it be done unto me according to thy word.".

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    You take 1 verse out of context and discount everything else in scripture .... You have to hear and Believe the Whole Word of God .... Can't pick and choose ...It's all or nothing .

You ever notice when a Catholic quotes Scripture it is hardly ever just 1 verse .... But the Whole Context of the teaching ?

From the master religion of picking and choosing.

Jesus said call no man on earth your father. Your religion has thousands.

Paul said abstaining from meat and forbidding to marry is a doctrine of devils. You've thousands of molesting perverts behind the robes because they cannot marry.

Your supposed first pope, peter, was married.

You are forbidden before the law, under the law, and after the law to abstain from blood, and yet every mass a priest "changes" wine into literal blood and a cookie into literal flesh and you eat and drink it.

What happens to your god when you digest it and it goes through the urinary tract system? Talk about holy crap.

You bake cakes to the queen of heaven.

The RCC is simply a hybrid of ancient Egyptian and Babylonian religions blended together with Christianity to produce the great Whore of Revelation. She is a perpetual chameleon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckmanite View Post

Paul said abstaining from meat and forbidding to marry is a doctrine of devils. You've thousands of molesting perverts behind the robes because they cannot marry.

You are forbidden before the law, under the law, and after the law to abstain from blood, and yet every mass a priest "changes" wine into literal blood and a cookie into literal flesh and you eat and drink it.

What happens to your god when you digest it and it goes through the urinary tract system? Talk about holy crap.

The RCC is simply a hybrid of ancient Egyptian and Babylonian religions blended together with Christianity to produce the great Whore of Revelation. She is a perpetual chameleon.
    +1
    "How is it possible to have a civil war?" - George Carlin

"So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don't even know that fire is hot." - George Orwell

The paganization of chrsitianty and the Catholic Church is a myth.

All the claims of paganization originted from Al Hislop's "The Two Bablyons" and the perpetuation of the myths he created by others.

His scholarship was shown to be fraudunlant by the 20th century's foremost expert on the subject, Ralph Woodrow who had the decency to search out every lsat one of Hislop's original source material and discovered how fraudulant the scholarship actually was.

Why did he do this?

Because he had based his own work regarding the supposed paganization of the Catholic Church, based on Hislop's. It was an international seller, several printings, translated into several languages. But was an honest enough man that when confronted with facts from friends who were historians that such a rendition of history was inaccurate, he went to the source material Hislop used.

Here:
    Al Hisslops book The Two Bablyons, was full of examples of such "connections" as your post attempts to claim, making all sorts of claims against the Catholic Church, equating its practices with pagan practices from ages past even.

Let me tell you a true story of "The Two Babylons."

(Scene 1 as the lights come up on stage):
    This was written by a 'scholar' who seemed to be beyond repute, in the 1800's. In it he made many fantastical claims of the link of ancient paganism, going back to Nimrod, to the Catholic Church. It appeared to be heavily researched and footnoted. None questioned it. It was met with uncritical acclamation and acceptance.

It was accepted as the authoritative, indisputable tome on this "fact".

This state of affairs continued for the next 100 years!

(End Scene 1, the stage darkens)

(Scene 2, the light come up on stage):

Enter Ralph Woodrow in the later 20th century.

Ralph Woodrow became the world's foremost expert on The Two Babylons. In fact, he wrote his own modernized version - Babylon Mystery Religion

It was a huge success! It was so successful, in fact, that many times he was mistaken for Al Hisslop himself and the author of the Two Babylons!

His book had several printings and was a world wide success.

All was well, until . . . ..

(End of Scene 2, the stage darkens. . . . )

(Scene 3, a spotlight comes up on Ralph Woodrow and a historical scholar . . . what follows is a fictionalized representatino of their conversation)
    Historian: "Ralph" he said, "What did you use as source material for this? It is very flawed and inaccurate!"

Ralph: What? You have to be kidding! I used material that was heavily researched and has been widely accepted as scholarly! You must be mistaken!

Historian: "No Ralph, I'm not. . . you need to check this out for yourself. There are many, many historical errors in this book!"

Others also said much the same thing to Ralph . . it was quite puzzling. . . .

(End Scene 3, the stage darkens . . . )

(Scene 4, the lights come up . . .)
    Ralph couldn't shake what his friends and historians were telling him. They couldn't be right, but how could they all be saying the same thing if they weren't? What was up? How could there be such a discrepency?

Being a man of utmost integrity and honor, he decided there was only one course of action he could take. That course of action was to verify himself EVERY source used by Hislop and determine for himself, once and for all, the truth of the matter.

At great expense of time and money, he painstakingly hunted down every last source used by Hislop over 100 years ago . . no easy task, for some were exceptionally difficult to find. He poured himself into the task.

At long last, he had reached his conclusion. The Two Babylons were full of error, and made associations between paganism and Christianity where no legitimate association existed. He discovered that SIMILARITY does not equate with sameness and that appearances can be very deceiving.

In fact he discovered that the use of the wedding ring is pagan, the cross is pagan, and the fish symbol (a Christian symbol) was pagan . . .

But what he realized was this: just because pagans used these things, that did not make the Christian use of them pagan!

By his research, Hislop had been shown to have exaggerated and even invented "facts".

Ralph was left with no other choice. He had to pull his book, an international best seller, at great financial loss to himself, because it was based on Hislop's work, which made it full of error and false claims regarding the Catholic Church and the so-called "paganization of christianity".

He then wrote a new book, The Babylon Connection.

Here are Woodrow's own words:
    My original book had some valuable information in it. But it also contained certain teachings that were made popular in a book many years ago, THE TWO BABYLONS, by Alexander Hislop. This book claims that the very religion of ancient Babylon, under the leadership of Nimrod and his wife, was later disguised with Christian-sounding names, becoming the Roman Catholic Church. Thus, two “Babylons”—one ancient and one modern. Proof for this is sought by citing numerous similarities in paganism. The problem with this method is this: in many cases there is no connection.

Because Hislop wrote in the mid-1800's the books he refers to or quotes are now quite old. I made considerable effort to find these old books and to check Hislop's references; books such as Layard's Nineveh and Its Remains, Kitto's Cyclopeidia of Biblical Literature, Wilkinson's Ancient Egyptians, as well as old editions of Pausanias, Pliny, Tacitus, Herodotus and many more. When I checked his footnote references, in numerous cases I discovered they do not support his claims.

As I did this [research], it became clear-Hislop's "history" was often only mythology... an arbitrary piecing together of ancient myths can not provide a sound basis for history. Take enough tribes, enough tales, enough time, jump from one time to another, from one country to another, pick and choose similarities-why anything could be "proved"!

....While condemning round communion wafers as images of the sun-god Baal, Hislop fails to mention that the very manna given by the Lord was round. “Upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing....And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the Lord hath given you to eat” (Exod. 16:14–15, KJV, emphasis added). Round is not necessarily pagan.

Hislop taught that Tammuz (whom he says was Nimrod) was born on December 25, and that this is the origin of the date on which Christmas is observed. Yet his supposed proof for this is taken out of context. Having taught that Isis and her infant son Horus were the Egyptian version of Semiramis and her son Tammuz he cites a reference that the son of Isis was born "about the time of the winter solstice." When we actually look up the reference he gives for this (Wilkinson’s Ancient Egyptians, vol. 4, 405), the son of Isis who was born "about the time of the winter solstice was not Horus, her older son, but Harpocrates. The reference also explains this was a premature birth, causing him to be lame, and that the Egyptians celebrated the feast of his mother’s delivery in spring. Taken in context, this has nothing to do with a December celebration or with Christmas as it is known today.

The subtitle for Hislop’s book is “The Papal Worship Proved to Be the Worship of Nimrod and His Wife.” Yet when I went to refer­ence works such as the Encyclopedia Britannica, The Americana, The Jewish Encyclopedia, The Catholic Encyclopedia, The Worldbook Encyclopedia – carefully reading their articles on “Nimrod” and “Semiramis” — not one said anything about Nimrod and Semiramis being husband and wife. They did not even live in the same century. Nor is there any basis for Semiramis being the mother of Tammuz. I realized these ideas were all Hislop’s inventions.

----------------------

Building on similarities while ignoring differences is an unsound practice. Atheists have long used this method in an attempt to discredit Christianity altogether, citing examples of pagans who had similar beliefs about universal floods, slain and risen saviors, virgin mothers, heavenly ascensions, holy books, and so on.

As Christians, we don’t reject prayer just because pagans pray to their gods. We don’t reject water baptism just because ancient tribes plunged into water as a religious ritual. We don’t reject the Bible just because pagans believe their writings are holy or sacred.

The Bible mentions things like kneeling in prayer, raising hands, taking off shoes on holy ground, a holy mountain, a holy place in the temple, pillars in front of the temple, offering sacrifices without blemish, a sacred ark, cities of refuge, bringing forth water from a rock, laws written on stone, fire appearing on a person’s head, horses of fire, and the offering of first fruits. Yet, at one time or another, similar things were known among pagans. Does this make the Bible pagan? Of course not!
    If finding a pagan parallel provides proof of paganism, the Lord Himself would be pagan. The woman called Mystery Babylon had a cup in her hand; the Lord has a cup in His hand (Ps. 75:. Pagan kings sat on thrones and wore crowns; the Lord sits on a throne and wears a crown (Rev. 1:4; 14:14). Pagans worshiped the sun; the Lord is the “Sun of righteousness” (Mal. 4:2). Pagan gods were likened to stars; the Lord is called “the bright and Morning star” (Rev. 22:16). Pagan gods had temples dedicated to them; the Lord has a temple (Rev. 7:15). Pagans built a high tower in Babylon; the Lord is a high tower (2 Sam. 22:3). Pagans worshiped idolatrous pillars; the Lord appeared as a pillar of fire (Exod. 13: 21–22). Pagan gods were pictured with wings; the Lord is pictured with wings (Ps. 91:4).

.......I have since replaced this book with The Babylon Connection? a 128-page book with 60 illustrations and 400 footnote references. It is an appeal to all my brothers and sisters in Christ who feel that finding Babylonian origins for present-day customs or beliefs is of great importance. My advice, based on my own experience, is to move cautiously in this area, lest we major on minors. If there are things in our lives or churches that are indeed pagan or displeasing to the Lord, they should be dealt with, of course. But in attempting to defuse the confusion of Babylon, we must guard against creating a new “Babylon” (confusion) of our own making.
    The TWO BABYLONS was thoroughly debunked.

It is an example of fraudulant scholarship, as is the scholarship of the sites you linked us to; and that so many christian groups who stand opposed to Catholicism accept it, and other works like it, blindly, without any kind of critcal evaluation of its contents is of great concern

To verify what I have said about this, one only has to read :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Two_Babylons#Criticism

And Ralph Woodrow himself:

The two babylons:

A Case Study in Poor Methodology

a review of
    The Two Babylons, or The Papal Worship
    by Alexander Hislop
    (Lorizeaux Brothers, 1990)

can currently be found here: http://www.seedofabraham.net/2babrev.htm

Quote Originally Posted by yatagan View Post
    It is quite simple.
    There is nothing Biblical about what you stated.
    Well then, enlighten me. If you are correct, then I have wasted many decades studying the wrong Bible.
    Impeach the Kenyan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jezcruzen View Post
    Well then, enlighten me. If you are correct, then I have wasted many decades studying the wrong Bible.
    I did ... You just choose to ignore...

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    I did ... You just choose to ignore...
    Sorry. I was not trying to be obtuse. I just happen to disagree with your position.

But I am still curious as to why the other fellow said my position was not Biblical. Is not accepting Jesus the Christ as a personal savior and communicating with Him through prayer not Biblical, I ask? I have a personal one on one relationship. I have no need for an intercessor to have my sins forgiven. I don't have the need to light candles, ask Mary for anything, or dress in silly costumes. Thats just the facts of my position. Its not meant to be an attack on someone else's belief. Go ahead and act anyway you like. It doesn't affect me one iota although I do find certain practices useless and even mind boggling. I don't think my Jesus requires all that.
    Impeach the Kenyan!

Didn't Jesus say someplace at some healing event, that is was their faith that healed them? Faith, not blood, not a statue, not his robe, not a magic wand...etc. Faith.

Absolutely!!!

Catholicism in not Christianity and their practices are nothing but demonic.

Yes..demonic right along with most of our Protestant false teachers of today.

What did you think would come out of the "Evangelicals and Catholics Together"?