Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR vs Titus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HR vs Titus

So as I was researching for another thread ... the last part of this teaching from Paul Jumped out at me in reference to the New HR movement .... Seems like nothing is "new" huh .... Please note the bolded verses. I gave the whole chapter to keep it in context.

After reading this if you are in the HR movement ... Can you continue ?

Titus 1
    [1] Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to further the faith of God's elect and their knowledge of the truth which accords with godliness,
    [2] in hope of eternal life which God, who never lies, promised ages ago
    [3] and at the proper time manifested in his word through the preaching with which I have been entrusted by command of God our Savior;
    [4]To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.
    [5]This is why I left you in Crete, that you might amend what was defective, and appoint elders in every town as I directed you,
    [6] if any man is blameless, the husband of one wife, and his children are believers and not open to the charge of being profligate or insubordinate.
    [7] For a bishop, as God's steward, must be blameless; he must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain,
    [8] but hospitable, a lover of goodness, master of himself, upright, holy, and self-controlled;
    [9] he must hold firm to the sure word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.
    [10] For there are many insubordinate men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially the circumcision party;
    [
    11] they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for base gain what they have no right to teach.
    [
    12] One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
    [
    13] This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,
    [
    14] instead of giving heed to Jewish myths or to commands of men who reject the truth.
    [
    15] To the pure all things are pure, but to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure; their very minds and consciences are corrupted.
    [
    16] They profess to know God, but they deny him by their deeds; they are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good deed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    [14] instead of giving heed to Jewish myths or to commands of men who reject the truth.
    Yeah..let's keep this in context, like you said...please explain that verse and how it relates to hebrew roots, would you?

What are these Jewish MYTHS and COMMANDMENTS OF MEN?

Can't wait to hear you answer!

It's a recurring theme

1Timothy 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

:5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

:6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

:7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.

:8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
    "The most regular and bigoted adherence to the forms of religion furnishes no evidence in itself that there is any true piety at heart, or that true religion has any actual control over the soul. It is much easier for people to observe the forms of religion than it is to bring the heart under its controlling influence." - Albert Barnes on 2Timothy 3:5

Quote Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
    After reading this if you are in the HR movement ... Can you continue ?

[10] For there are many insubordinate men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially the circumcision party;
    [
    11] they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for base gain what they have no right to teach.
    [
    12] One of themselves, a prophet of their own, said, "Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons."
    [
    13] This testimony is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,
    [
    14] instead of giving heed to Jewish myths or to commands of men who reject the truth.
    [
    15] To the pure all things are pure, but to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure; their very minds and consciences are corrupted.
    [
    16] They profess to know God, but they deny him by their deeds; they are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good deed.
    This is interesting. I'm assuming you are equating the verses you've bolded with people who ascribe to the Hebraic Roots of our faith. I would appreciate your exposition on the verses that you've bolded.

Just a few questions that immediately come to mind:

1.) Who do you say the circumcision party is?
    2.) What do you consider these "Jewish myths" to be?
    3.) What do you think these "commandments of men" are?
    4.) Why would you equate these with the Hebraic roots of our faith?

Thanks!
    Last edited by seekingHistruth; 05-07-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Typo

I wondered what human resources had to do with Titus.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

I too, await with baited breath the answer to this question "What are Jewish myths?". Surely you're not suggesting that's God's Holy Word is a "Jewish myth", are you? That would reek of blasphemy.

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

This text is about the circumcision party, the same found in Galatians, and Acts 15:1.

They believed in salvation through keeping God's law, starting w/ circumcision, and following commandments of men, not commandments of God.

Certainly a different doctrine than "Hebrew Roots" ... in reality, quite the opposite.

Hope that helps.

Shalom,
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by seekingHistruth View Post
    This is interesting. I'm assuming you are equating the verses you've bolded with people who ascribe to the Hebraic Roots of our faith. I would appreciate your exposition on the verses that you've bolded.

Just a few questions that immediately come to mind:

1.) Who do you say the circumcision party is?
    2.) What do you consider these "Jewish myths" to be?
    3.) What do you think these "commandments of men" are?
    4.) Why would you equate these with the Hebraic roots of our faith?

Thanks!
    Hi fisheater,

I just came back and noticed that you'd not yet answered these questions. I would be very interested in hearing your responses to them when you have a moment.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by seekingHistruth View Post
    Hi fisheater,

I just came back and noticed that you'd not yet answered these questions. I would be very interested in hearing your responses to them when you have a moment.

Thanks.
    I too have been coming back from time to time to see how he supports a blanket statement like he made here:

"After reading this if you are in the HR movement ... Can you continue ?"

What the heck?