Thread: Tattler Reusable Canning lids???

Arrow Tattler Reusable Canning lids???

Any good? Worth the money? I stock up on one or two boxes of my normal Ball lids when I'm out and now have a decent stash going, but one or two seasons of good canning and hard to find lids and they're gone.

Everything I've read on the Tattlers, http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/, seems good but figured I'd come the TOL experts.

Thanks!
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

I like them Lurker. I give them as gifts to friends and family and their thrilled to get them.

I bought a case of them... 250 each wide mouth and regular. I've probably used 150 of them so far, canning dog food meat mostly.

I had ONE failure, and that turned out to be my fault.. a bit of chicken was on the jar rim under the ring when I opened it.

Maybe the biggest "problem" is that you need to wash them carefully (don't want to stretch the rings out) and have a way to store them so the rings don't get creased or stretched. This isn't anything I got "officially" from the site or company, but I can see if you want them to seal 20 times or more, you're going to have to care for them.

What I did was buy 6 round "lock n lock" containers for the rings, and 2 square ones for the plastic lids. The rings stack perfectly flat in the round containers, and are sealed away from dirt, etc.

It was a significant investment, and somewhat unnecessary at the moment, as I got a great deal on E-bay a couple years ago for 500 dozen lids, which I vacuum sealed and stored, and am slowly working my way through. But the Tattlers are "insurance" and now I'm sure I can can up at least several hundred jars every year (reusing the lids a couple of times in the year) without worry.

Oh, the other problem would be if you give much canned food away for gifts... you'd have to make sure you get your lids back as well as the jars, or it's going to get expensive. I make sure to use regular lids on jars of jam and soup and stuff I use as gifts, although my grown kids are really good about making sure my jars come back (probably so I keep giving them goodies!)

Summerthyme

Cool, thanks for the reply's.

Thanks for the hint's ST on the o-rings. I guess I could always toss them in a quart jar stacked up nice and neat and then toss a normal lid and ring on that to store them. Like any o-ring, they need TLC for the best outcome.
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Ditto, thanks ST for the tips....I have tattlers as insurance as well and stored them as shipped. Believe I will pull them out and vacuum seal for safe storage. MM