Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Beans

dry beans not good for chickens
    can't remember where i read but considered it reliable source......

Vipper is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

I found some old beans and made bean flour. I added a cup of it to the two loaf bread recipe for extra protein and to use some of it up. Didn't really effect the flavor or texture of the bread either. I also used it as a thickner for soup, stews and chili.

Kath
    We cannot solve problems with the same thinking we used when we created them. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    PW- you haven't ever cooked really old beans, have you? Or beans which were stored some place hot?

Believe me, there ARE beans which won't cook to softness no matter how long you cook them, even in a pressure cooker... even if left in a lot longer than 15 minutes.

Summerthyme
    I have successfully soften, using my pressure cooker, some tough ole garbonzo beans I purchased back in 1991 - this was about a year ago because I wanted to make some hummus and the store was out of garbonzo beans. These beans had the priviledge of living in a storage unit one summer while I was out of state.

I have never met any beans that couldn't be softened, but then maybe I' haven't met the right beans yet?

K-
    • 的 am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    I can vouch for the fact that OLD beans, not stored well, will NEVER E V E R soften. Last week I found some dried pintos in a box packed up 2 years ago when tree hit house. The were vacumed sealed and labeled 1999. I took about half the packet (about 1#), soaked them over night, rinsed and several of the skins came off. Put them on to boil, then simmer for 4 hours first...then gave them another hour, and then another hour...ended up simmering 8 hours total. They were still crunchy and not edible. Tried the immersion blender to maybe make bean cakes...nope, they were still crunchy (tho smaller crunches..) :(
    OC has accused me of liking my beans al dente, maybe that's the difference?

I soak my beans in salt water, salty like the sea, overnight and then put them in the pressure cooker to cook the next day, I don't even drain them.

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Cool Aaacckkkkkk !

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    OC has accused me of liking my beans al dente, maybe that's the difference?

I soak my beans in salt water, salty like the sea, overnight and then put them in the pressure cooker to cook the next day, I don't even drain them.

K-
    Are they edible with that much salt? I say . . . if it works . . .
    "The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Phillpotts

Quote Originally Posted by Gercarson View Post
    Are they edible with that much salt? I say . . . if it works . . .
    Yes they are edible, rinse them well after pressure cooking. I've been doing some reading on the internet, simply because I could never understand why my indian roommates (college years) told me not to put tomatoes or onions in with the beans while they are still in the softening stage... it turns out the acid actually hardens the beans.

I'm a little hesitant to use the baking soda method, I learned the salt method from my indian roomies back in 1990.

Grinding them for flour is also a great way to use them, my grinder doesn't grind beans well.

Kimberly

Joan of Arc

Wanted to add that Jackie Clay has an article on softening beans in one of the back issues of BackWoods Home Magazine.

K-

Joan of Arc

Thanks folks for all the good information. Things have gotten really busy around the homestead and I haven't had a chance to follow this up yet. Lots of good ideas to try. Much thanks.

I have not tried this, but I have heard that you can sometimes grind old beans and then use them for a sort of "re-fried" beans (cook the powder of course) as well as using them for flour.

I'm still using some beans from 1999 and I only had one batch that would not soften at all (they do exist); but the pressure canner really helps with the harder ones.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    I have not tried this, but I have heard that you can sometimes grind old beans and then use them for a sort of "re-fried" beans (cook the powder of course) as well as using them for flour.

I'm still using some beans from 1999 and I only had one batch that would not soften at all (they do exist); but the pressure canner really helps with the harder ones.
    Maybe it helps to know what kind of beans don't soften??? In a search I did earlier I found that most folks were complaining about pinto's and black beans refusing to soften, period. Makes me wonder if protien or starch content has anything to do with this? Like I said I haven't ran into any that refused to soften when a pressure cooker, but then I don't mind al dente so it all could come down to personal preference.

K-

Joan of Arc