Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Beans

Mine that would not soften were pintos, at the time I had chickens so I fed them the cooked but crunch beans, because there were "edible" just did not taste very good.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post
    I agree with Summer, try them first just to be sure. I would hate to throw food away that could be used ...

This is a favorite, I tweaked this recipe several times before I found just the right balance of molasses and honey.

This recipe is for 1lb beans which makes about 3 pints.

Wash and drain beans, I prefer navy (white) beans. Mix together 1/4c molasses, 1/4 c honey, 1 tbs vinegar, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dry mustard and heat to boiling. Meanwhile chop the onion.

Fill pint jars with about 1/2c beans, 1/4 c molasses mixture, handful of chopped onion, and fill to 1/2" space with hot water.
    I'm such a dummy-- Seal jars according to proper canning procedures. The longer the beans sit on the shelf, the better they taste.

Process at 11 lbs for 65 minutes - pints
    for qts process 11lbs for 75 min
    I tried this recipe today, fisrt time EVER I've used a pressure cooker. I didn't see the part about adding water to the half inch line. The beans are cooked, but I was hoping to re-can them after adding the water Can I do that, with new lids? Thanks
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
    Simple Pine Box, do you think I would need to presoak or cook these old beans before using your recipe?
    I would definitely presoak anything old. And definitely try cooking them as Summer says. No reason to waste a good bean for soups and stews. My family raves about my homemade ones. And they are from old beans. I used to try my own on an old screen door in the shade. Then put them in tight lid jars of glass. Never got any bad ones that way and did not lose any either. I'd say you have a wee gold mind there. Good luck. Have fun with them.