Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhubarb

Default Rhubarb

This is my first season growing rhubarb. I planted it in the greenhouse as I wasn't sure of its nature or where I'd put it as a perrenial plant. I wasn't even sure if it would survive our winters here or not. (Eastern NC)

Anyways, I've never eaten it or cooked with it before, but I'm trying a rhubarb coconut pie. I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and true favorites using rhubarb that they are willing to let me in on. Thanks in advance!

My favorite is Rhubarb Cream Pie:
    3 c diced rhubarb
    1 1/2 c sugar
    3 tsp cornstarch
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tsp butter
    2 eggs

Combine all except the rhubarb. Beat until smooth then add the rhubarb and turn into a 9" pie. Bake at 450 for 10 min, reduce to 350 for approx 30 minutes. Served chilled. Delicious.

Also, this one is good:

Rhubarb Crisp

5 cups sliced rhubarb
    1/2 cup sugar
    can add 1/4 cup crystalized ginger if you have it, or ground ginger
    or dash of nutmeg
    3/4 cup old fashioned oats
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup softened butter

Oven 350 - butter a 13 x 9 baking dish, spread rhubarb evenly and sprinkle with ginger, sugar and nutmeg.
    Stir together remaing ingredients and put over rhubarb
    Bake approx 20 min or until rhubarb is soft and topping is browned.
    Serve warm or cool - good with whipping cream on top.

ENJOY!

It's near impossible to eat without sugar. You can try cooking it up and adding the sugar to taste, crumble a cookie like a gingersnap on top. I eat it out of a bowl like applesauce.

Here is Aunt Vera's secret ninja ingredient if you make a straight fruit pie- along with the rhubarb, sugar, flour or tapioca- mix in one beaten egg. Not quite a custard pie, but gives it a nice consistency!

Try to stick some in the freezer for next winter. Something about it you get to really craving it!
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

I just eat it the way Tesla's Mom prepares it. Very simple and tasty. Hard to mess up. We grew it in Virginia and it did well there.

The Rhubarb I planted from seed last year came up here at 8500' in the mountains, so I'm guessing it'll grow anywhere. When I was a child, my grandmother had a rhubarb patch in Massachusetts. A cousin and I would grab the sugar bowl and go out and eat the raw rhubarb, dipping it into the sugar bowl. Nummy!

goodenergy, ive been wanting to get some rhubarb to plant but wasnt sure it would grow here--im about 7500ft in S. CO, so im thrilled to hear it grows for you. now i just gotta find some. i remember my grandma canning rhubarb with strawberries--it was wonderful. id love to grow some.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by NOGOTARANCH View Post
    This is my first season growing rhubarb. I planted it in the greenhouse as I wasn't sure of its nature or where I'd put it as a perrenial plant. I wasn't even sure if it would survive our winters here or not. (Eastern NC)

Anyways, I've never eaten it or cooked with it before, but I'm trying a rhubarb coconut pie. I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and true favorites using rhubarb that they are willing to let me in on. Thanks in advance!
    The neighbor let me dig up some rhubarb bulbs, I got 4. A few days ago I brought rhubarb in and I have a lot of strawberries in the freezer from last year, so I made a rhubarb strawberry crisp. I have made rhubarb apple crisp and might like that better. Here is the recipe for the rhubarb strawberry crisp. I really like this cold. I can't stay out of it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/rhubarb...ch/Detail.aspx

We had five children in our home along with hubby and I and they loved it best when I picked it as it had just turned red and minced it, put in a pot with a small amount of water or apple juice and added sugar, cooking slowly until cooked through. Almost like jam. Served over Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!!! YUM, YUM. You will find that it will grow very well in your climate. I live in the cold north and just gave a big plant to my neighbor across the stree. It does very well in a sunny location. Have fun. It is also good mixed equally and made into an apple/rhubarb mixed pie. AL

Quote Originally Posted by preparinginidaho View Post
    The neighbor let me dig up some rhubarb bulbs, I got 4. A few days ago I brought rhubarb in and I have a lot of strawberries in the freezer from last year, so I made a rhubarb strawberry crisp. I have made rhubarb apple crisp and might like that better. Here is the recipe for the rhubarb strawberry crisp. I really like this cold. I can't stay out of it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/rhubarb...ch/Detail.aspx
    Thats what My wife make too her favorite is the strawberry rhubarb. She will also eat the stalks fresh cut dipping them in a bowl of sugar.

The plant we have was transplanted from her grandmothers small farm after she passed away we have moved it twice and it still thrives. the plant is to my wifes best guess is at least 40 years old. She remembers eating fresh stalks off of it when she was little and she is in her mid 40's now. We have had the plant for 10 years and it survives the N Idaho Winters just fine and we have never done anything to protect it. It is about ready for its first cutting of the year. cant wait for fresh pie YUM!!
    “A horse is a horse,it ain´t make a difference what color it is.” John Wayne

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office" Aesop

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

I too grew up with a jar of rhubarb (don't remember if it was canned or frozen, now that I think of it) from Grandma's garden always "in the works" in the fridge. We ate it like applesauce too.

My rhubarb babies (grew from seed) struggled so badly last year I thought for sure they were goners; but they came up this spring strong and big as can be! yay!

I have two of the cream of rhubarb pies in the oven as we speak - thanks for the recipe, canamgal!

eta: Looks good (actually browned nicely; the flash washed it out in the picture). Now I have to wait till the morning to try some!

One question canamgal, is it always kind of soupy when it's hot? or maybe I should've left it in longer...?

Last edited by bbkaren; 05-14-2011 at 09:44 PM.