Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhubarb

This rhubarb pie is a lot like a chess pie...with rhubarb. And the sweet/tart contrast is awesome, thanks!

Only problem I had, was it was still liquid this morning so I crossed my fingers and popped it back in the oven for another 40 minutes at 350. The center firmed up some and, though the crust is a bit overdone and it looks bad, it tastes great!

Next time, I'll cook it for an hour or so like I do my regular chess pie and hopefully that'll cook it through in the center; but a half hour doesn't anywhere near cook it in my oven. Thanks very much, it's very tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    This rhubarb pie is a lot like a chess pie...with rhubarb. And the sweet/tart contrast is awesome, thanks!
    Only problem I had, was it was still liquid this morning so I crossed my fingers and popped it back in the oven for another 40 minutes at 350. The center firmed up some and, though the crust is a bit overdone and it looks bad, it tastes great!
    Next time, I'll cook it for an hour or so like I do my regular chess pie and hopefully that'll cook it through in the center; but a 1/2 hr doesn't nearly cook it in my oven. Thanks very much, it's very tasty!
    Glad that you enjoyed it. Your picture looks delicious!! It is a favorite that my mother used to make. Maybe instead of doing it 450 for 10 min and 350 for 30 min try it for 450 for 10 minutes and 400 for 30 minutes as every oven is different as it shouldn't stay soupy after cooling, and see what happens then.

Thank you so much for your input on this. I am going to try to make the cream pie recipe next time. I had just enough with some fresh picked berries to make a strawberry rhubarb pie and boy was that something!! It was even better the next day.

From the sounds of things, this is an item I am going to keep in my garden henceforth....wow. I can't believe I lived to 36 without ever eating rhubarb.

Rhubarb is one of those things; I call it "LBTG": Looks Bad, Tastes Good.

It's ugly, slimy, stringy. The leaves are poisonous. But in spite of the fact that it looks like you've made a celery pie, it's delicious!

In so many aspects of food, LBTG holds true. (As does its opposite: LGTB - for example, those string-tied boxes of colorful sand-cookies from the Italian Bakery.)

Interesting thread! I grow Rhubarb, and made a little mistake. Two years ago, I took a small start off of the Rhubarb growing in front of my DH's shop. Here is the result:

My way too happy Rhubarb has exceeded my expectations, ooops, planted in the wrong spot. Very late Fall, I will be moving my beauty to the center of this end of the bed. Of course, at that point, I will have to split more off of it. The soil this Rhubarb is growing in is loamy, well amended, and Nitrogen rich well draining soil (between 6.5 and 7.0 PH).

I typically use my Rhubarb in pies or crisps.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    goodenergy, ive been wanting to get some rhubarb to plant but wasnt sure it would grow here--im about 7500ft in S. CO, so im thrilled to hear it grows for you. now i just gotta find some. i remember my grandma canning rhubarb with strawberries--it was wonderful. id love to grow some.
    You can probably find plants at a local nursery. Not having a local nursery here on the hill, I ordered seeds from http://www.victoryseeds.com/rhubarb.html It's a slower start, but it'll be permaculture, so I'm not in too big a hurry. Same with the asparagus I planted. Some, in sheltered locations, has come up nicely. The plants in less sheltered places haven't shown yet.

Goodenergy, that's where I got mine too.

Gardening has been such a learning experience for me. Just because something doesn't "seem" to be working/growing, it may very well surprise us - like my little rhubarb seedlings did!

They had to be growing underground all winter to get from little eensie seedlings to big plants with 5-6 leaves apiece, the plants measure about 3' across!

I'd highly recommend any one who wants to grow Rhubarb get a start from someone. I was able to start harvesting from that happy Rhubarb plant in just one year (we have harvested from that 3 times this year before I took the pic). Yes, growing from seeds takes patience. There is a local grower who splits his Rhubarb each year. I noticed my Rhubarb was easily 3 times the size of his and I found out why (soil & growing conditions).

Not sure it will grow anywhere. BIL tried Iowa rhubarb in south Texas without success. He figured it needed a cold winter which he does not get there. We took four starts and planted with a shovel of horse manure under the roots. It did well as it is a heavy feeder.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

USDA Zones for Rhubarb are 3-8. I am in Zone 8b (with the weather we have been getting these past two Winters, more like Zone 7). Elevation could be another matter entirely. I lost some perennials the past two years that are normally hardy in our climate.