Thread: Mexican Chicken Soup

Default Mexican Chicken Soup

Here's a delicious and spicy soup that a friend fixed. After tasting it, I had to have the recipe. I've made it twice and it is quite a nice change from the ordinary.

Ingredients:

4 TBSP oil
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken (any cut that you like)
    1 pound sweet potato, peeled and chopped
    1 pepper (either yellow or green bell)
    1 onion chopped
    2 cups water
    1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
    1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 jar (0r can) chopped tomatoes (28 oz)
    2 1/2 TBSP chili powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    Sour cream for topping (if desired)

Roll chopped chicken in flour; fry in 2 TBSP oil in dutch oven or large pan. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add 2 TBSP oil into same pan and add chopped sweet potato, onion and pepper. Simmer or low heat for 8 minutes, stirring often. Add back chicken plus water, tomatoes, oregano and chili powder. Simmer or low heat for 20 minutes. Add beans and corn. Simmer or low heat for 3 minutes. Add cilantro; turn off burner.

To serve, put sour cream in middle of soup in the bowl. The sour cream takes off some of the "bite" of the chili powder.

Enjoy!

sounds yummy..I bet you can..can this, minus the sour cream

Default Don't forget

The tortilla chips! Add them just like crackers..

Hum....never had this type of soup with sweet potatoes. Nice way to work in another vegetable.
    Do thou O Lord, protect us, guard us ever from this generation. On every side the wicked prowl as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
    Psalm 12:7-8

In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. —William Booth founder and general of the Salvation Army 1829-1916

Also I like the idea of sweet potatoes in the soup - sounds delicious. Am going to try it soon - thanks.