Thread: Shout out to dilligaf!!

Default Shout out to dilligaf!!

Hey,

Just wanted to give a shout out to dilligaf on some great advice.

Background: In another thread, I think it was "Big Wood from Brush" I mentioned only having tinder, and big wood, back stick size, and after seeing some wood split for a wood stove, which were about 1-2" squares, I thought that would make a good 'tween size.

Was going to split up some pine for that purpose, but dilligaf recommended using oak. I was in a "trust but verify" with dilligaf's suggestion.

I had split up a good bit of oak into 1-2" squares and was waiting on 2 things: 1-for the wood to dry, it's been 2 months, and the trees were cut when the sap was down, and 2-waiting for the temps to cool down.

Well, yesterday the evening temps were going down into the mid 60's, and I was dying to try out those oak kindlin'. So, yesterday evening I started a fire.

Got 3-4 pine cones out of the yard, came by the kindlin' box, and got 4-5 pieces. Put the pine cones down, then put the oak kindlin' like a teepee over that, and struck a match. That whole thing went up like it had lighter fluid on it.

It works great dilligaf!!!! Thanks bunches!!!!! Much appreciated!!!!!
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Dilligaf has a lot of wisdom. Always enjoy his posts.
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    www.patriotguard.org

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post
    Hey,

Just wanted to give a shout out to dilligaf on some great advice.

Background: In another thread, I think it was "Big Wood from Brush" I mentioned only having tinder, and big wood, back stick size, and after seeing some wood split for a wood stove, which were about 1-2" squares, I thought that would make a good 'tween size.

Was going to split up some pine for that purpose, but dilligaf recommended using oak. I was in a "trust but verify" with dilligaf's suggestion.

I had split up a good bit of oak into 1-2" squares and was waiting on 2 things: 1-for the wood to dry, it's been 2 months, and the trees were cut when the sap was down, and 2-waiting for the temps to cool down.

Well, yesterday the evening temps were going down into the mid 60's, and I was dying to try out those oak kindlin'. So, yesterday evening I started a fire.

Got 3-4 pine cones out of the yard, came by the kindlin' box, and got 4-5 pieces. Put the pine cones down, then put the oak kindlin' like a teepee over that, and struck a match. That whole thing went up like it had lighter fluid on it.

It works great dilligaf!!!! Thanks bunches!!!!! Much appreciated!!!!!
    Pinecones make great bbq briquettes, but watch out, they spit out all kinds of bits of possible flammable pieces. When we forget the briquettes, we use pinecones.

your very welcome cary. glad i could help..