Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: earthbag construction.

our sweet feed comes in paper bags, as does our rabbit feed. and no they will not work. we take them apart and use the two layers that dont have plastic on them as weed barriers. they work great and by the end of the season they have pretty much returned to the earth.

we save the woven polypropylene bags that our dog food and chicken feed comes in for the earth bags. i purposely left the inner wall of the root cellar exposed to see how they hold up to the sands of time and so far they show zero sign of deterioration..

not sure if thats bamboo or if thats tie wire on the beams in the picture. folks seem to use whats available in their area.. i am leaning towards using poplar as they are a weed here, and they will not be directly exposed to the elements if my plan works out. would love to use locust but we just dont have any on the property ..worst that can happen is i will have to redo the roof system a few years down the road.. thats OK by me,it just means a lil more dirt movin and more practice..

well as always as the time draws near the cancellations start rolling in.. it never fails. ah well, wife and i do our best work alone anyway. i do wish folks would have let us know a bit sooner i could have been working on it already.

if i dont work tomorrow we will get started and we are optimistic that if we start tomorrow we can be done by sunday evening..

and people wonder why we hate society as a whole and generally dont like people..lol

anyway, progress will soon be made and pics/video will follow..

Locust??? They grow like weeds around here. I use them all the time a fence posts and for other "things". To bad we aren't closer I could send ya a few for your roof...

We might look into the bag construction for a root/storm shelter. I really need one and it sounds cheap enough. The idea of the "stucco" for the covering would work great for the inside also.
    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
    Locust??? They grow like weeds around here. I use them all the time a fence posts and for other "things". To bad we aren't closer I could send ya a few for your roof...

We might look into the bag construction for a root/storm shelter. I really need one and it sounds cheap enough. The idea of the "stucco" for the covering would work great for the inside also.
    i wish we had locust on the property.around here folks that do have stands farm it for fence posts..

i think you should do your cellar in earth bags..of course i love the things..

check this out,
    http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/projects/rootcellar.htm

FTR, the construction of that is TERRIBLE the design is fantastic..

tomorrow we start bright and early.. i am excited..

anyone have any music recommendations for the day??

music recommendations:

Two of my favorite working records:

Old and In The Way and Shady Grove w/Grisman and Garcia - gets the feet stomping!

Have a blast!

Jen

Thumbs up

i LOVE old and in the way and havent pulled that music to the top in quite some time. thanks heiwa..

for those without a clue,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5zTpwYlds

I am more inclined to this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygiTv7tEYm0
    "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou [art] with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." Psalm 23:4

what a day, wife and i put in about 8 1/2 hours today and got a good bit done. and as always as soon as we got done folks come to help..lol

so tomorrow we will easily get the walls completed and who knows, maybe much more. gonna be a LOT easier with more than the 2 of us..

got plenty to type about but quite frankly i am too tired.. plus got company. when i have time i will tell yall my observations and throw up some pics..

stay tuned..

the bags are DONE!! company wanted to take the kids to the creek so we knocked off for the day. there was approximately 130 bags laid consuming roughly 38 hours of combined people labor.

tomorrow we will get the mesh on and frame and dry in the roof. that shouldnt be a bad day at all. more or less a piddly day. then all that will be left is applying the mud to the mesh and throwing 4 inches or so of dirt on top and seeding it..
    will go into details of the experience when i post some pics..

stay tuned..