Thank you!

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
You can easily make some comfrey oil, which will work well and probably is a lot easier than putting a messy poultice of raw leaves on...

And yes, coconut oil is a nice emollient oil.

So, if you want to combine them, heat some comfrey leaves in the coconut oil (I use a big roasting pan in the oven for this- you can do it on the stove top if you're watching it carefully and don't let it get too hot... you do NOT need a kitchen fire. Amounts? Enough oil to cover the leaves, basically.

Cook until the leaves get crispy. Then strain (a wire strainer works well... you can sort of moosh on the leaves with your hands, and if some leaf gets into the oil, it's no big deal)

You can add your vitamin E oil to this. And then, if you want to get fancy or make it a lot easier on yourself to apply it (lots less messy), add some wax (beeswax if you can get it is really nice, but if not, paraffin will work. I use "candle sand" for the cows salves... I don't waste expensive beeswax on them! LOL).

About 1 ounce of wax to 1 cup of oil seems to work if you're using coconut oil. I can't tell you exactly because it varies so much, depending on the type of oils and the temperatures. I have to use about half as much wax in the winter months as summer... or we can't get the salve out of the tin in the barn! A few drops of lavender essential oil would be a really nice addition- don't use citrus essential oils, as they can also cause skin sensitivity to light, and discoloration. Lavender is very healing...

If you do make this salve up, it can be used on all sorts of minor problems, like kid's scrapes and hurts, or sunburn.

Summerthyme