Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

Default Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1105....2011.323.html
    Terrorist 'pre-crime' detector field tested in United States

Screening system aims to pinpoint passengers with malicious intentions.
    Sharon Weinberger

In Minority Report, Chief John Anderton (Tom Cruise) prevented crimes by seeing into the future - with a little help from precog Agatha (Samantha Morton).20TH CENTURY FOX / DREAMWORKS / THE KOBAL COLLECTION
    Planning a sojourn in the northeastern United States? You could soon be taking part in a novel security programme that can supposedly 'sense' whether you are planning to commit a crime.
    Future Attribute Screening Technology (FAST), a US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) programme designed to spot people who are intending to commit a terrorist act, has in the past few months completed its first round of field tests at an undisclosed location in the northeast, Nature has learned.
    Like a lie detector, FAST measures a variety of physiological indicators, ranging from heart rate to the steadiness of a person's gaze, to judge a subject's state of mind. But there are major differences from the polygraph. FAST relies on non-contact sensors, so it can measure indicators as someone walks through a corridor at an airport, and it does not depend on active questioning of the subject.
    The tactic has drawn comparisons with the science-fiction concept of 'pre-crime', popularized by the film Minority Report, in which security services can detect someone's intention to commit a crime. Unlike the system in the film, FAST does not rely on a trio of human mutants who can see the future. But the programme has attracted copious criticism from researchers who question the science behind it (see Airport security: Intent to deceive?).
    From fiction to fact

So far, FAST has only been tested in the lab, so successful field tests could lend some much-needed data to support the technology. "It is encouraging to see an effort to develop a real empirical base for new technologies before any policy commitments are made," says Tom Ormerod, a psychologist in the Investigative Expertise Unit at Lancaster University, UK. Such testing, he adds, could lay the groundwork for a more rigorous randomized, controlled, double-blind study.
    According to a privacy-impact statement previously released by the DHS, tests of FAST involve instructing some people passing through the system to carry out a "disruptive act". Ormerod questions whether such role-playing is representative of real terrorists, and also worries that both passengers and screeners will react differently when they know they're being tested. "Fill the place with machines that go ping, and both screeners and passengers start doing things differently."
    In lab tests, the DHS has claimed accuracy rates of around 70%, but it remains unclear whether the system will perform better or worse in field trials. "The results are still being analysed, so we cannot yet comment on performance," says John Verrico, a spokesman for the DHS. "Since this is an ongoing scientific study, tests will continue throughout coming months."
    Some scientists question whether there really are unique signatures for 'malintent' — the agency's term for the intention to cause harm — that can be differentiated from the normal anxieties of travel. "Even having an iris scan or fingerprint read at immigration is enough to raise the heart rate of most legitimate travellers," says Ormerod.

more

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

OH CARP!!!

"Minority Report" comes to mind.

I see myself becoming SUCH an outlaw.....
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Well, this would eliminate the claims of profiling by those communities who use the racist stuff to their advantage. Test EVERYONE equally. I bet before all is said and done, people would be so aggravated by this everyone would be a would-be terrorist . . LOLOLOL

NP

Default The real question is IMO...

At what percentage of "accuracy" will the JBTs be given the all-clear to shoot on sight (or at least "take down" without warning with a broken bone or five expected "collateral damage") anyone who sets off the sensor with their particular physiology? I predict this within 3-5 years...

Crap ! I clicked on this thread and immediately my THOUGHT POLICE crime detector bracelet started screeching. They will be here in less than 5 minutes.
    *(Thinking happy thoughts-Thinking happy thoughts)*
    *(Why can't they just put every American in prison and only let out the ones that can PROVE they are not a threat to the government ?)*...whew ! it finally quit...
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7777&dateline=1296255  909 Just exactly WHEN, is the law so corrupted that it is immoral to obey it ?
    Citizens of Nazi Germany failed to answer that question correctly. Will the citizens of 21stCentury America do the same ?
    Or will they regain control of their government before it is too late ?

Quote Originally Posted by war tide View Post
    *(Why can't they just put every American in prison and only let out the ones that can PROVE they are not a threat to the government ?)*
    Ooohh I feel all warm and fuzzy and safe when you say that!
    ---
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson, 1816

I haven't done anything and I'm already guilty of something.....
    Heck, according to the ADL and the SPLC just posting on this board makes me guilty of something.

I don't care anymore.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

It seems to me the Israeli human pre-crime screening for terrorists works in the area of 99-100% of the time vs this US one at 70%.

Then again, you Americans do like your high-tech gadgets. Unfortunately, we'll probably follow your lead yet again and buy another pig-in-a-poke.

Snowy

Quote Originally Posted by snowman41 View Post
    It seems to me the Israeli human pre-crime screening for terrorists works in the area of 99-100% of the time vs this US one at 70%.

Then again, you Americans do like your high-tech gadgets. Unfortunately, we'll probably follow your lead yet again and buy another pig-in-a-poke.

Snowy
    The Israelis use TRAINED PEOPLE, a particular resource that is quite a bit better than A MACHINE when it comes to fuzzy logic questions and value judgments about other people, especially since actually INTERVIEW them, as opposed to gleaning ancillary data as this machine does.

Every day, just when you think you've heard enough of the government stepping in your face in one way or another, they find another way to do it.
    Why?

BECAUSE THEY CAN.

The real problem with this is there is truly no way to know
    FOR CERTAIN how accurate, if at all such BS is.

These scifi fantasy technologies are as much being used to
    "shock and awe" the sheep into compliance as they are for
    genuine applications.

You don't have to actually be able to predict who will commit
    evil actions. When you're in power you just proclaim your technology
    can do this then incarcerate a random sampling of the people
    to make the rest believe it works. Doesn't matter if it does as long
    as the sheeple believe it does. Just another tool being used to condition
    society.