Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's More Righteous?

Default Who's More Righteous?

Two men stand before Jesus Christ on Judgement Day. Which of the two is righteous enough to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?:

1) The thief who was crucified next to Jesus Christ; who publicly declared His belief that Jesus Christ was the Lord; and whom Christ promised would "be with Me in paradise?" Luke 23:43 (Remember: the thief lived a life of lawlessness and received the death penalty as a result).

or

2) A man who diligently kept all 613 "Torah" laws; rested on every sabbath day; sacrificed a lamb without blemish as commanded by the Torah; and even wore his tzitzits religiously but who didn't trust in the power of Christ's blood and the free gift of grace?

Which of the two spends eternity in the Kingdom of Heaven?
    John 1:17,
    "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

What if the thief would have been able to come down off the cross? Do you think maybe he would have gladly obeyed with his new chance at life?

Your analogy is flawed and severely biased. The pattern is always grace through faith, works then follow...faith without works is dead.

Any law...whether it come from man or Yah cannot save a person...NADA, ZIP, ZILCH....it can ONLY point out sin and direct you into the Way of living right...at least Yah's law (not man's)!

Had the man in your second scenario kept the entire law flawlessly his entire life...and did no sin...he could have made it. Not one "man" has done this...

But One did in our stead...Yeshua, our Salvation!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    What if the thief would have been able to come down off the cross? Do you think maybe he would have gladly obeyed with his new chance at life?

Your analogy is flawed and severely biased. The pattern is always grace through faith, works then follow...faith without works is dead.

Any law...whether it come from man or Yah cannot save a person...NADA, ZIP, ZILCH....it can ONLY point out sin and direct you into the Way of living right...at least Yah's law (not man's)!

Had the man in your second scenario kept the entire law flawlessly his entire life...and did no sin...he could have made it. Not one "man" has done this...

But One did in our stead...Yeshua, our Salvation!
    The bottom line is that faith in Jesus Christ vastly trumps the mere keeping of the 613 Torah laws.

Yes ... "faith without works is dead."

We need to be mindful of the Two Great Commandments of Jesus Christ: Love God with all of your heart, mind, and soul and love thy neighbor as thyself.

But let's take a closer look at James and the "works" he's talking about:

James 2:14-17, "What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone."

He's not at all talking about keeping the Mosaic law. He's talking about helping our neighbors, the sick, the elderly, the young, the needy, the destitute, etc.

What is sin? Scripture please.

What did we repent from?

Thanks!

What is sin? Scripture please.

What did we repent from?

Thanks!
    Most folks will take a single verse out of the following passage in an effort to define sin and they are correct in so doing but we should be mindful of the entire passage and the context in which the definition is used:

1 John 3:1-11 1Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
    2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    3And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
    4Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
    5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
    6Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
    7Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
    8He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
    10In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
    11For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another."

And IF we sin (transgress)...

1Jn 2:1
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

What is the "old" commandment fron the beginning? And...as I asked before, what IS sin and what did we repent from?

And IF we sin (transgress)...

1Jn 2:1
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
    Which of Christ's Commandments sum up the law and the prophets?

Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Galatians 2:21, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

Romans 7:6, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."

Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

1 John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth."

Side note: It's been nice having this conversation with you without all the Kindergartners swarming my posts. Fresh air!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    Which of Christ's Commandments sum up the law and the prophets?

Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Galatians 2:21, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

Romans 7:6, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."

Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

1 John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth."

Side note: It's been nice having this conversation with you without all the Kindergartners swarming my posts. Fresh air!
    Again...what is sin...and what DID we repent from? You quote a lot of Scripture above, and mention new covenant, but is not the new covenant Torah written upon the hearts? That's what Scripture says.

Also, foundationally, we must build on solid Rock...look at this prophecy concerning Messiah...how do you read it...and how would those who looked for Messiah when He came have read it?

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Isa 42:2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Isa 42:4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his Torah.
    Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the Torah, and make it honourable.

I'm in a pinch right now...will have to continue later...a fellow who was in prison (part of who I minister to) got out and I'm gonna take him and another brother to breakfast!

Again...what is sin...and what DID we repent from? You quote a lot of Scripture above, and mention new covenant, but is not the new covenant Torah written upon the hearts? That's what Scripture says.

Also, foundationally, we must build on solid Rock...look at this prophecy concerning Messiah...how do you read it...and how would those who looked for Messiah when He came have read it?

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Isa 42:2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Isa 42:4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his Torah.
    Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the Torah, and make it honourable.

I'm in a pinch right now...will have to continue later...a fellow who was in prison (part of who I minister to) got out and I'm gonna take him and another brother to breakfast!
    God bless your ministry. No worries about responding.

This parable is helpful:

Mark 2:21-22, "No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse. And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles."

Jesus Christ has revealed a better way than the old way. He didn't come to "new wine" in the "old bottle" but to give us new wine in a new bottle.

Through the Holy Ghost, I humbly offer this bit of advice... Do with it as you will... I only did what I was commanded to do, all further discourse must be directed to our Father, from whom we have our being...

1Co 3:10 According to the grace (the special endowment for my task) of God bestowed on me, like a skillful architect and master builder I laid [the] foundation, and now another [man] is building upon it. But let each [man] be careful how he builds upon it,
    1Co 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is [already] laid, which is Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
    1Co 3:12 But if anyone builds upon the Foundation, whether it be with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
    1Co 3:13 The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.
    1Co 3:14 If the work which any person has built on this Foundation [any product of his efforts whatever] survives [this test], he will get his reward.
    1Co 3:15 But if any person's work is burned up [under the test], he will suffer the loss [of it all, losing his reward], though he himself will be saved, but only as [one who has passed] through fire.

Love ya!
    Pride Always Has A Better Idea.

And it's not your job to mold me to your likeness!

Mat 22:37-40 (msg) Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.'

This is the most important, the first on any list.

But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'

These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."