Thread: Butchering Guinea Hens

Default Butchering Guinea Hens

Does anyone have experience butchering guinea hens? Are they different to butcher than chickens?

just bigger.. if you lived closer i would be glad to come do it for ya. i hate the things..lol

lol, they are dumb ugly noisy birds and they are morphing over here from the neighbors. When we talked to him about it his response was "if they are bothering you just kill them" So how do they taste? Like Chicken? Is the canning process any different than other poultry?

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    just bigger.. if you lived closer i would be glad to come do it for ya. i hate the things..lol
    If you were closer I'd take you up on that offer.

i have never ate one. at least not in recent memory. family raised them when i was a kid and since then i stay as far away from them as possible. maybe someone else can chime in on that one..

Handle them the same as chickens. Only difference I've ever run in to is: Don't get the notion you are going to wring their necks.

Our way is to let them be quiet, not riled up. Then shoot them in the head with a good pellet gun--not a BB gun, or use a .22. More the better if you can get up early enough to catch them roosting.

Getting them riled up will get more blood in the carcass, and adrenaline. Really affects the taste.

Cook them the same as chicken , or even better, like pheasant.

At home we ate guinea hen at least once a week.

Two weeks ago we brought in 100 Guinea keats.

When they are around two pound we start processing a few a week. Half for food, half for freezer.

Hope this helps,
    CC
    Incoming fire has the right of way!

When the world turns to s**t, an A10 Warthog beats a feather duster every time. 50 BMG vs .308 vs .22* anything

If you are engaged in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK

Cool

I loooooovee me some good ol' roasted guinea.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Phillpotts

Quote Originally Posted by crazychicken View Post
    When they are around two pound we start processing a few a week. Half for food, half for freezer.

Hope this helps,
    CC
    Have you tried pressure canning them? Same method as other poultry?

These hens are at least a year old and they are all rather large, they belong to the neighbor and they have been spending too much time at our place bothering our chickens. When we talked to him about them he said "if they bother you shoot them". Well, dh will shoot them but we aren't going to let the meat go to waste.

Cook them like a pheasant. Very good eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Cook them like a pheasant. Very good eating.
    Have you tried canning them? Same process as other poultry?