Thread: Ketchup

Default Ketchup

Anyone have a ketchup recipe? Currently have 7 five gallon buckets sitting in my breezeway. Thank-y'all.

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Hein...up-Recipe.html

Some of his dupes are dead on. Haven't tried this one yet.

Wow, if I could make Heinz Ketchup I'd be one happy camper. Thank you for posting that site. I'm going to try it soon.
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.

I have been searching for years for a ketchup recipe that tastes like Heinz. Finally found it and it is amazing.

Ingredients:

• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste with garlic (I just use regular tomato paste with a dash of garlic powder)
    • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
    • 1/4 cup white vinegar
    • 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar and it was delicious)
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1 tablespoon sugar
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions :

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
    2. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 min.
    3. Stir often.
    4. Remove from heat and cover til cool.
    5. Keep in a covered container in fridge.

My cousin's boy lives next door to me and he makes ketchup.
    I forget how much, but it takes a pile of tomatoes to make a little ketchup
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

There is also this lady's way of making it w/ fresh tomatoes. Haven't done this one either, but her husband says it's better than Heinz, and if that's true, that's something!

http://www.youtube.com/user/atticus9.../0/fzKtZWy-UEw

Davy... an awful lot depends on what variety of tomatoes you're using. If you're using beefsteak or other juicy "eating types", then yes, it can take a TON of tomatoes to cook down into a decent catsup.

If you use some good paste tomatoes- Royal Chico, Principe Borghese, or (if you don't mind buying hybrid seed) the fantastic "Fresh Salsa" from Burpees- you'll get good yields of catsup or other sauces.

I grow a few plants of a big heirloom "beefsteak type" called Pantano Romanesco. They're incredible- probably the best flavor ever, and SO tender that you'll never see them even at a farmers' market- you can't pick them by hand, because your fingers will go right through the fruit. You have to cut them off the plant, and then you can't stack them more than a couple layers deep in the baskets, or they'll crush.

But they're worth every bit of the little extra trouble, because if you add even a few fruits to soup, sauces, or ketchup, it will make a huge difference in flavor, without adding too much extra water to boil away.

Summerthyme

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Y'knpw gang, if yer under 60 yah don't have to say it as "tomato catsup" but you might want to remember that not all catsup's are tomato. OTHER veggies CAN and often WERE used.
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Davy... an awful lot depends on what variety of tomatoes you're using. If you're using beefsteak or other juicy "eating types", then yes, it can take a TON of tomatoes to cook down into a decent catsup.

If you use some good paste tomatoes- Royal Chico, Principe Borghese, or (if you don't mind buying hybrid seed) the fantastic "Fresh Salsa" from Burpees- you'll get good yields of catsup or other sauces.

I grow a few plants of a big heirloom "beefsteak type" called Pantano Romanesco. They're incredible- probably the best flavor ever, and SO tender that you'll never see them even at a farmers' market- you can't pick them by hand, because your fingers will go right through the fruit. You have to cut them off the plant, and then you can't stack them more than a couple layers deep in the baskets, or they'll crush.

But they're worth every bit of the little extra trouble, because if you add even a few fruits to soup, sauces, or ketchup, it will make a huge difference in flavor, without adding too much extra water to boil away.

Summerthyme
    I bought some seeds online from CherryGal of this variety, and I'm so excited to try them! I only had a 30% germination rate, so I'm not thrilled so far, but if the flavor is as you say (and I absolutely believe you) then it's worth it! I just look at my little plants and think...grow, baby, grow!
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.