Thread: Government Jobs Untouched by the Great Recession

Angry Government Jobs Untouched by the Great Recession

Government Jobs Untouched by the Great Recession

Private sector down 300k jobs as public employment remains stable

RALEIGH — Gov. Bev Perdue and her Democratic allies have claimed that the budget passed by the General Assembly would decimate public employment in North Carolina. And yet during the current recession, government agencies have been spared the massive job losses that have afflicted private companies.

Way to kill the jobs market, and grow something that produces nothing except a freaking bill for tax payers to be forced to pick up, even when the jobs aren't there for them to have to earn the money to PAY.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...e.html?id=7889

"A Prudent man sees danger and takes refuge,
    but the simple keep going and suffer for it". Proverbs 22:3

Radio Free Redoubt
    Just Measures Radio
    Oath Keepers
    Survivalblog
    Appleseed Project
    Warrior Talk News
    The Survivalist Blog
    Medical Corps
    Paratus Familia Blog

that's the plan ,private sector gets rocked first,others to follow

MODot, Missouri Department of Transportation has already cut 1200+ jobs and plan on another 500 to 800 in the next year.

Most of the lost jobs have been in the Admin, and in the Small HQ depts scattered around the state.
    Quiet a few of the small local 10 and 15 truck work barns/stations have been cut and consolidated. (KC area)
    And the State plans on selling off those sites.
    A lot of other State Depts took a hit to, except for the Highway Patrol (Road patrols) and State Fire Marshals.

Our local county has cut almost 1/3 of their work force, across the board.

Same with my home town.

Our State Constitution mandates a balanced budget, and with our House of Reps leading the way they have cut out almost 1 billion dollars from this years budget, half that amount last year.

Education is still being funded, but with a lot of cuts to new buildings, out of state trips are gone, and local school boards cutting out as much Admin staff as they can.

We are hurting but not broken yet.
    Maybe that's why we are the 'Show Me' state!
    To show others that it can be done!

Rhodie
    I have seen the Elephant, War and Worse,
    I do not love it
    Nor do I fear it.
    I just dread what it can do to my country.

Duty, HONOR, Country.
    If you have to ask, you will never Know.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
    John F Kennedy

The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
    George Washington

'Forged in a fire lit long ago. Stand next to me, you'll never stand alone.'

Hmmm if this is true THEN they completely ignored my town where gobs of university, state, DOT, and USDA jobs are being cut left and right. OH and the best part is the jobs are being refilled with volunteer, as in you work for nothing, employees.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

This will vary a lot from time and place; but as a former civil servant (State and Federal) I can tell you that what usually happens is, massive lay offs in some sectors but more employees (often transfers or "bumbs" from the layoffs) in others.

That's because someone has to process all those extra unemployment claims, welfare checks, applications for disability, foster kids, applications for public housing etc., etc.. If the forms are not processed right, if the investigations are not done; then the next head lines are "thousands allowed benefits they don't qualify for."

When people don't get their claims processed in a "reasonable time" (what that is varies) States get faced with a combination of class action law suits and extremely negative press coverage with headlines like:

"Sally X worked every day of her life until the lay off, now she and her five kids and disabled husband face eviction because the program that was supposed to.......fill in the blank, is six months behind in applications..."

Finally, humans do have a breaking point, even civil servants. When I worked in Worker's Compensation for the State of Colorado during the oil crash there, the State "saved" money by not replacing people and of course laying them off (eventually I was laid off too). But before then, claims that by law had to be processed within x number of weeks had back up to folders stacked on the floor, to the tune of about 6 months worth. When the other clerk moved away, of course she was not replaced and the piles became so large we had to make pathways between them (this was when computers were limited to data bases).

After several weeks of this, and dealing with lawyers coming serving summons on how our department would be sued because it had failed to meet its statutory requirements for processing cases in a timely manner (including being told by one loud mouth, that "of course when YOU are put on the stand to testify,") etc; the other clerk said no job was worth her life. The stress was destroying her and her home life, she was going to quit and move back to another State with her baby and live with a sister.

After that, I got "bumped" by someone with 10 years more experience, but who was totally incapable of doing my job (I know I tried to train her). When I visited a few years later, before moving to California; my former boss admitted that the women was still just sitting there collecting a pay check and they had to work around her.

That's the sort of real problems that exist in the civil service a combination of policies that look good on paper (but really cost more money by shorting staff to the point that nothing can get done, people give up and just start pushing paper around) and work rules that make it almost impossible to get rid of someone who can't to their job.

The best you can hope for with a long-term employee who can't do the work is to get them to transfer elsewhere or just work around them (effectively causing a larger staff shortage).

But really, what usually happens is that some civil servants wind up on unemployment (and eventually homeless) like everyone else, but many other simply transfer over (or are even hired) to man the new services required by the economic downturn.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats