Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in Scripture And in Scripture Alone?

Lightbulb Do You Believe in Scripture And in Scripture Alone?

Do You Believe in Scripture And in Scripture Alone?

All Protestants claim to believe in Holy Scripture. Additionally, Protestants claim that the notion of Scripture alone not only exists, but is sound doctrine. If these claims are true, then surely the following Protestant beliefs would be readily available within Holy Scripture. Accordingly, I ask you the following questions:

1. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture one can find the phrase “Scripture Alone”. You can’t as it is a Protestant fabrication originating with the apostate, Martin Luther.

2. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture one can find the phrase ‘Faith Alone’. You can’t as it is another Protestant fabrication originating with Martin Luther, when he added the word ‘alone’ to Rom 3:28, and bragged about doing so.

3. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture that the father of Protestantism (Martin Luther), and indeed contemporary Protestants, have the right to delete seven canonical books of the Bible. You can’t. (Deu 4:2; Prov 30:5-6; Gal. 1:8; Pet 3:15-16; Rev. 22: 18-19)

4. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture, it states that except for Protestants, no one is to add to or subtract from God’s word. You can’t. (Deu 4:2; Prov 30:5-6; Gal. 1:8; Pet 3:15-16; Rev. 22: 18-19)

5. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture Protestants were given the right to establish ‘churches’ in addition to, and opposition to, the true Church established by Jesus Christ. You can’t. (Mat 16:18; Mat 18:17))

6. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture it states that the Bible is the ‘pillar and bulwark of truth’. You can’t. (1Ti 3:15)

7. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture Jesus established a book. You can’t. (Mat 16:18; Mat 18:17)

8. Show me please, where in the Gospels, Jesus stated “Thou art Peter, the rock, and upon this rock I will write my Bible”. You can’t. (Mat 16:1

9. Show me please, where in the Gospels Jesus told His disciples to write anything down. You can’t. (Mat 10:1-15)

10. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture Jesus told His disciples to spread the Faith by publishing a book. You can’t.

11. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture it states that the Bible comprises 100% of the Faith. You can’t. (Joh 20:30-31; Joh 21:25; Joh 16:12-15)

12. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture, Jesus told His disciples “except for you Protestants, Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained. You can’t. (Joh 20:21-23; 2Co 5:18 )

13. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture, Jesus told His disciples “This is My Body; This is My Blood. Except for you Protestants, do this in remembrance of Me”. You can’t. (Luk 22:19-20 1Co 11:24-25)

14, Show me please, where in the Gospels, Jesus stated “Truly, Truly except for you Protestants, unless you eat My flesh and drink My blood, you have no life within you.”. You can’t. (Joh 6:47-58 )

15. Show me please, where in the Gospels the Blessed Mother of God states “All the world, except for Protestants, shall call me blessed.”. You can’t. (Luk 1:48 )

16. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture, it states that “Everything that Jesus did is contained in the Bible.”. You can’t. (Joh 21:25)

17. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture, it states "So faith comes from what is read, and what is read comes by the preaching of Christ. But I ask, have they not read? Indeed they have; for "The Bible has gone out to all the earth, and the Bible to the ends of the world." You can’t. (Rom 10:17-18 )

18. Show me please, where in the Gospels Jesus told anyone not to keep the commandments, as all one has to do is state ‘I accept Jesus as my Lord and personal Savior’, and he is forever ‘saved’ and free to sin boldly. You can’t. (Mat 19:16-19)

19. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture it states that, except for Protestants, good works are necessary. You can’t. (Mat 7:21, Jam 3:14-26, Phi 2:12-13, Rev 3:15-16, Joh 15:1-2, 1CO 3:9; 2Co 5:10; Mat 25:31-46; et al) (Refer to Note 1 below).

20. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture it states that the Jesus will leave the Church alone as orphans for about 1,500 years until the Protestants arise, delete seven books of the Bible, and proclaim ‘Scripture Alone’ and ‘Faith Alone’. You can’t. (Joh 14:18 )

21. Show me please, where in Holy Scripture it states that the gates of Hell will prevail against the Church for about 1,500 years until the Protestants arise and delete seven books from the Bible, and proclaim ‘Scripture Alone’ and ‘Faith Alone’. You can’t. (Mat 16:18 )

“If you believe what you like in the Gospel and r4eject what you do not like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.” St. Augustine.

Scripture Alone? Is Half the Story Sufficient?
    www.call2holiness.org/ScriptureAlone/ScriptureAlone.htm

Both Faith and Good Works Required
    www.call2holiness.org/faith.html

Note 1:

Protestants proclaim that all one has to do to be forever justified is to satisfy John 3:16 by simply stating once during their lifetime something similar to "I accept Jesus as my Lord and personal Savior.".

John 3:16 reads:
    Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (RSV-CE)

The Greek word used in this citation and translated as ‘believes’ is pisteuo. It means to ‘have faith in’ or to ‘believe in’.

Protestants take this verse out of context, and hold that anyone who simply declares that ‘Jesus is my Lord and personal Savior.’ is saved. That is to say, that nothing else is required. All subsequent sins committed by any one making this claim, will not bar them from Heaven.

The Protestant King James Version translates John 3:36 as follows.

Joh 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Your attention is directed to the two words: ‘believeth’ and ‘believeth’ in the KJV translation of Joh 3:36 above. Two different words are used in the Greek, and the King James Version translates both of them as ‘believeth’. This is incorrect, and is a false translation.

The first word in Joh 3:36 translated by the King James Version as ‘believeth’ is pisteuo. As mentioned above, it is a correct translation i.e. .believeth’ or ‘believes’. However, the second word translated incorrectly as ‘believeth’ is apeitheo. Apeitheo means to disbelieve (wilfully and perversely): - not believe, disobedient, obey not, unbelieving. Hence, the citation above from the King James Version is inaccurate and false.

The RSV-CE has the correct translation which reads:

Joh 3:36 He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him. (RSV-CE)

Thus, we see clearly that the Protestant claim that all they have to do is satisfy Joh 3:16 once during their lifetime, and they are forever saved is false and erroneous.

Individual verses of Holy Scripture must be read in context.

Text taken out of context is a pretext.

Now re-read all of the 3rd chapter of John’s gospel, using the correct translation of Joh 3:36 as per the RSV-CE above.

http://jmom.honlam.org/rsvce/

Furthermore, Protestants ignoring the following (which are only a few) does not make them disappear or render them inapplicable:

“So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder.” (Cf. Jas 2:17-19)

The teaching of Jesus could not be any clearer on this requirement. Consider the following from the Gospel of Matthew: "Now someone approached him and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?" He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, "'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" (Cf. Matt. 19:16-19)

"Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay every one for what he has done." (Cf. Rev 22:12)

"At that time there shall arise Michael, the great prince, guardian of your people; It shall be a time unsurpassed in distress since nations began until that time." (Dn 12:1)

www.call2holiness.org/iniquity.htm

I believe in scripture alone. I am not a protestant. I learned His truth through prayerfully studying His word and not from any denomination.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

I believe in the Holy Word alone. Let Yah be truth and every man a liar (His Holy Word says this). My prayer is that I can earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered to the saints. If I endure to the end I shall be saved. I stand upon His Holy word...it is my everything. Without it I am nothing. Everything I need is in His word alone. Amen

Not trying trying to start an argument here...but His word alone is all I need. I am not a Protestant...not "protesting" anything. I'm part of His blood-bought church and praying that I may be found worthy to escape. Straight is the way and narrow is the gate; few there be that find it. I believe those that find it HAVE SOLD OUT TO HIS WORD ALONE. Amen!

Yes I do, thank you very much. Thank you for playing. Next question!

Do You Believe in Scripture And in Scripture Alone
    If you mean for salvation...No.

I have stated many times that if a man on an island is dying

and i preech the simple gospel message to him and he embraces it

hes Saved...

Im not concerned with being anyones master in heaven, all i care

about is salvation.

For by grace are you save through faith and that not of yourself. It is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast. Period
    By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; Hebrews 11:7 (A)

I believe the BIBLE is the word of GOD. Thanks for asking.

mmmm are you Catholic and is that why you dislike protestants so?

Or is it the Bible itself that offends you?

Now here's a fine example of religious correctness... From religious correctness we get the seeds of political correctness...

Using the game of playing on one to experience fear of being wrong, comes from the spirit of witchcraft. This is why Sola Scriptura is the best compass for keeping straight and true to the Lord.

satan knows well that without such a constraint, people or society, over time, will drift away from the Truth at the slightest suggestion from those in authority.

It's the same spirit that holds the Constitution in contempt, for as long as the Constitution has power in this land, the ones who would use substitution and always evolving traditions of men, to rule over a free people are restrained.

The spirit of witchcraft always births tyranny. History alone proves this. Jesus hates this spirit, it gives birth to a class of people called by the Bible, the Nicolaitanes.

The Nicolaitanes were "subjecting - putting down the laity", the mass of Christian people, in order to unduly lord it over them.

So yes, SOLA SCRIPTURA, it's the best foundation any nation of Gentiles could have, in order to make it possible for the nation to thrive with blessings from God, our Creator.

Here is another thought... Who are the people mentioned in Jesus' parable in ;

Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
    Luk 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
    Luk 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.
    Luk 19:15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.
    Luk 19:26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
    Luk 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

Is that you?
    Pride Always Has A Better Idea.

And it's not your job to mold me to your likeness!

Mat 22:37-40 (msg) Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.'

This is the most important, the first on any list.

But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'

These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

This thread is in the graveyard, but I just had a lecture on this very thing, if ONE person reads it, and gains from it, then it's worth my five minutes! .

Of course, the Bible contains all of the information required to gain ones Salvation, The Holy Bible, albeit after countless manipulations by good, and bad men, books removed by the same, translations from the two major codex and the fine points of difference, after all of this, and more, I firmly believe even so, when one OPENS THEIR HEART, sits in a still place, and studies it, then the Word is written in that persons heart, and he speaks to us.

Of course, it is inspired by God.

It is NOT a book of no. Any idiot can sit there, and string together verses, to inform others they're doing it all wrong. The Bible can, and has too many times, been used as a weapon, it has been used by bad men, to take lives, take lands, split Churches and Congregations. When the Bible is used by either tormented Souls, or bad men, as a weapon, there is a foul spirit behind that effort, and as such, their position is so jaded, that I refuse to play the no game, the devil knows the Bible better than any of us would EVER hope to do so, and to play the war of the verses with him is futile.

Christians are people of the Word, NOT people of the book. Muslims are by their own terms, people of the book, and over time their books have been turned into weapons and books of no, and the same tools of ignorance are at work turning much of Christendom into heretical angry little men.

Jesus wrote nothing down, Jesus ASKED for nothing to be written down. Jesus TAUGHT us, he asked us to go, and TEACH the people, to DO this, in remembrance of me, to hold to the great commission. Of course he was well informed of the no's in the law.

Christians Worshiped Christ for about 300 years before there even started to be a complied Bible, they taught, they shared the light of the world, the Prayed, shared in the Holy Eucharist, and Worshiped as one Holy Family, being WITH one another, lifting each other up, bringing others with you.

OF COURSE, the Bible is the divine Inspired Work of God. It isn't that "sola scriptura" is completely invalid, it's that the attitude that comes behind it in the shadows, the same forces of fundamentalist discharge from reason that threatens thousands of years of progress and advances of Christs Church.

I don't ask anyone to buy into my post, but THINK about it. It's NOT that the slogan is wrong, just the end result of even a few generations of this lack of thought.

Pray on it, think about it. I'd be very careful throwing out thousands of years of Christian thought and writing.

Dark ages?
    "You Can't MAKE this stuff up."

They cast their silver into the streets, and their gold is like an unclean thing. Their silver and gold are not able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord. They cannot satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it. For it was the stumbling block of their iniquity.
    Ezekiel 7:19

Do You Believe in Scripture And in Scripture Alone? Yes.

This exercise reminds me of the time Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days and Satan tempted him. Satan is very good at quoting scripture too you know.