Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New for me ...a way to cook zucchini

I like them dipped and fried too but I just don't go that route for myself. Trying hard to be "good". I do love the sesame oil on them tho and grilled.

Scoop out the seeds if the things are large, fill with mixture of crushed crackers, onion and cheese. Bake. Yum!

good suggestions, I grew round zukes this season and figure they would be good fried up like eggplant.

DH just does not like zucchini and he loves veggies...these round ones are the only squash that the bugs haven't destroyed. that would be great news if DH liked them, lol

the round ones aren't as prolific so far as the straights, will shred and use for zuke bread, or try halving them and stuffing them like suggested.

Make noodles out of them!

I had these when a friend of mine was battling cancer and was on a raw diet. This machine will make thin, fun, "noodles" out of them that you can eat raw or I suppose maybe heat up and eat with sauce. Very fun to slice with this device because it makes think, spiral cuts.

http://www.thefind.com/food/browse-j...-spiral-slicer

A friend gave us a bunch of zuchs. After everything I could think to do with them, there was still a big one left. DH was wishing for pizza and I didn't feel like making dough, so I sliced the zuch and lined a lasagna pan with the slices. I topped the slices with a spray of olive oil, pizza sauce, pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms, topped with cheese and baked. DH says we can have it again - high praise.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Angle View Post
    Scoop out the seeds if the things are large, fill with mixture of crushed crackers, onion and cheese. Bake. Yum!

ewww...crackers are for vegetablearians.....

sausage, rice, cheese, onions.....yummmmmmmmmmmm
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

I made garlic soup today and it has squash it it. The recipe is in the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, but on line too. http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...s-garlic-soup/

Garlic Soup
    2 medium onions, chopped
    16 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    4 T butter
    6 cups of chicken stock
    2 medium potatoes, washed and cut up
    3 yellow or zucchini squash, sliced (optional)
    1 tsp thyme
    crushed peppercorns or pepper
    sea salt
    Optional: Roast Garlic. Put a bulb (or two) of garlic on a cookie sheet in an oven or toaster oven at 300-350 for 15-20 minutes until cloves are slightly opened and soft. You can scoop the garlic right out with a fork.
    **Note: This makes an entirely different soup than fresh (unroasted) garlic (I’ve tried it both ways).

Saute onions, celery and garlic (if fresh) in butter until soft. Add chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil and skim. (I might add carrots here too, especially if I don’t have squash on hand.) Simmer the soup, covered, until the potatoes are soft. Add the squash (if you have it) and seasonings and simmer uncovered 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
    Now comes the fun part – puree soup with a hand held blender. You can always add water if it is too thick. If you don’t have a blender stick, you can use a regular blender, or a food processor, or just eat it chunky!
    Add creme fraiche (sour cream) and seasonings to your liking!

Preparing in Idaho, I have not looked at my copy of NT in a couple of months. I am making that soup next week for sure!! It sounds lovely. Which was better, the roasted garlic or the fresh?

Slice into coins and saute in butter and a little salt and pepper for a side dish or

Slice them lengthwise and steam them in the microwave for a few mins, then scoop out seeds with a spoon and stuff them with a taco meat mixture (cooked) and shredded cheddar on top and bake for about 30-45 mins at 350 until bubbly. and you can saute the seeds the same way as above and serve separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Avandris View Post
    Preparing in Idaho, I have not looked at my copy of NT in a couple of months. I am making that soup next week for sure!! It sounds lovely. Which was better, the roasted garlic or the fresh?
    I just tried it today for the first time and sauted the garlic, onions and celery in butter. I have never tried the roasted. The comment was from the lady who wrote the article. My soup looked about like the soup in the picture. I really did not care how it tasted because I decided I wanted to do this for health, but it is very good.