Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New for me ...a way to cook zucchini

All the ideas sound great and I love soup, but if my husbandy saw the green in it and it wasn't a string bean, he would pick it out and pile them on a plate to toss out!! Really. I used to be able to make salads with all the different greens in them, now he will only eat iceberg lettuce!!! And his cholesterol is low!! Go figure. I will be making the soup and making sure he doesn't get the squash. I'll eat it ALL.

Find a large zucchini that has lost it's sheen. Peel, and cut in quarters lengthwise. Remove the seeds. Slice the squash the size you would slice an apple for an apple pie.

Saute the squash with a little lemon juice until tender-crisp, or put slices in a bowl with the lemon juice in the microwave till tender-crisp. Drain completely.

Use the zucchini in an apple pie recipe substituting the squash for the apples. I doubt anyone will know the difference between the squash pie and the apple pie. My family didn't.
    -
    -

That sounds really good to me Lavendar. I will eat it myself.

Yesterday, I had a tiny one, so I sliced it and put it beside the hamburgers I was making for lunch in the old cast iron skillet. Just a few minutes to brown each side. It was sooooooo good. I am going to remember to do that for myself once in a while as I do love them.

Quote Originally Posted by orion commander View Post
    Slice length ways, brush with olive oil, and grill on the BBQ. Salt & pepper to taste.

Toasted sesame oil might be good, too.
    This but use garlic salt liberally...delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by LabbyLove View Post
    Make noodles out of them!

I had these when a friend of mine was battling cancer and was on a raw diet. This machine will make thin, fun, "noodles" out of them that you can eat raw or I suppose maybe heat up and eat with sauce. Very fun to slice with this device because it makes think, spiral cuts.

http://www.thefind.com/food/browse-j...-spiral-slicer
    I finally broke down and ordered the spiral slicer. I was hesitant to get another gadget that will end up taking much needed cupboard space going unused.

I had made a large batch of spaghetti sauce the day before the spiral slicer arrived. Good timing to try this new toy.

I'm very delighted with the spiral slicer making angel hair zucchini noodles. Excellent with spaghetti sauce! Next I'll try turnips and carrots as a noodle for spaghetti. The 'noodles' are so fine that they almost cook under hot sauce.

The other slicing method will be great for lightly breaded fried onion rings!

I'm sure it will be fun to use with the grand kids. Anything to get them to eat more veggies.

Gee, I'll have to try all sorts of things now that I have the slicer. LOL

Thanks LabbyLove for the suggestion.

I was just reading all these goody recipes again. Wow. They all sound so delish. I thank you all again. There are some mighty good cooks on this forum.

Zuccs and cucumbers are excellent replacements in ratatouille when egg plant season ends.