Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Cookie and Other Recipes from boxes & cans

Default CORRECTED! Nestle Toll House Cookie Recipe (Important)

Thanks to Purity who caught the error, we now have the corrected recipe. She also mentions that until the 1980's 1/4 cup of water was added. I think that would make the recipe too runny, but if your batter seems to think you can try it - DC

Nestle Toll House Cookies (from the side of the bag-pre shrinkage)

2 1/4 cups flour
    1tsp salt
    1/2 tsp Baking Soda
    1 cup butter (soft)
    3/4 cup w sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cups either sugar)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 lg eggs
    2 cups chocolate chips
    (if you use newer bags, you need to buy 2 bags or a super sized bag)
    1 cup nuts (optional, my husband hates them so we don't)

Cook at 375 for about 12 minutes, or you can spread out on a one sheet as bar cookies and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

I usually mix together all dry ingredients and put to the side. Now cream butter and sugar together (electric mixer, food processor or with a spoon).

Add eggs and vanilla and mix some more

Slowly add dry ingredients (keep stirring if possible), when mixed, gently stir in chips and nuts.

These do better if you break the rules and let them sit at least five minutes before removing from the cookie sheet, they also do better on no-stick sheets and I've tried it both ways.

If using a food processor these turn out lovely but different as even pulsing will chop the chips some, my husband likes them that way; but today I used my new kitchen aid mixer and got more traditional results. If you are low on butter, you can use 1/2 lard or shortening but they taste a bit different. __________________
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I edited the recipe

Summerthyme

I checked in my "Toll House Tried and True Recipes" cookbook, which is a reprint of the 1948 cookbook, and it calls for 1 teaspoon soda dissolved in 1 teaspoon hot water. Everything else is the same. I always use the t of water and I also add 1 t of almond extract.
    FWIW

It probably would be a good idea for someone to try the recipe with 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp baking soda and see if there's any difference.

And if someone does (it's too darned hot to bake around here lately, but if the weather breaks like it's supposed to and I'm not out baling hay, I'll try it) report back and tell us...

Summerthyme

I used the 1/2 tsp when I made it last week and it was fine, but we should also try it with 1 tsp to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for editing that for me!

I think the really old recipes had it dissolved in water because older soda may not have blended in as easily as modern soda. Also, by mixing with warm water (or warm anything) soda can be quick-starting into action; something that can be a good thing in some recipes but not in others.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    Thanks to Purity who caught the error, we now have the corrected recipe. She also mentions that until the 1980's 1/4 cup of water was added. I think that would make the recipe too runny, but if your batter seems to think you can try it - DC

Oh, no no no! ROFL I said 1/2 teaspoon of water!
    Honest, I even went back and checked my post Hahaha, runny for sure with 1/4 cup!

Oh my goodness, I think I need to take a break from writing down recipes, I'm obviously making enough errors for a second grade spelling bee! Seriously, I'll probably post a few more next week, but I may let husband proof read them first...lol