Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Cookie and Other Recipes from boxes & cans

Default WWII Oatmeal Cookies (with Honey)

[This one was from my Grandmother's cookbook and was probably from a news paper article. During the War, sugar was rationed by honey was not; I made this a few times in the late 1970's when doing a lot of honey based cooking. They are good, but different from the usual versions; you can use all honey or all maple syrup if that's what you have. Golden syrup (used over here instead of corn syrup) would probably would too; I would not use modern US corn syrup in this because of the High Fuctose content of most of it these days. But any syrup would probably work, possibly even warm and runny jam (in a pinch) - DC]

WWII Toll House Cookies

1 Cup Shortening (it was Wartime, butter was rationed)
    3/4 cup strained honey (modern honey usually is already)
    3/4 cup maple syrup
    2 eggs beaten
    1 tsp vanilla extract

shift together
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soda

In the usual way, beat honey/syrup together with the fat (shortening, butter, lard etc).

Then add eggs and vanilla

Slowly add dry ingredients

Last step add 1 cup nuts and 27 oz of Nestles (or other) chocolate chips

Drop by tsp on greased cookie sheet

cook 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes

Recipe actually says, "makes 100 cookies" Maybe they made them each 1/4 tsp each or something? lol

This recipe also works well with raisins (in fact that's how I used to make it) instead of chips and can handle 1/3 to 1/2 whole wheat flour (I was making them in the 1970's...what can I say?)
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Default Brer Rabitt Molassess Gingerbread

[Found this recipe that I cut out from an old package of Del Monte something or other. The label still has an address for "more free recipes" I think this dates to my first apartment in the 1970's and I'm guessing it came from a molasses jar (Brer Rabitt brand) or a flour bag. I must have liked it to have cut it out and kept it, though these days I'd probably use either butter of lard instead of the 1970's shortening. Though sometimes in Molasses cookie/gingerbread recipes I've noticed that using shortening or lard actually does improve texture (rather than just being "cheap" or what they used to think was "healthy). - DC]

My Best Gingerbread (Brer Rabitt Molasses) -circle 1980

1/2 cup shortening
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 1/2 cups shifted flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1tsp cinnamon
    1tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground clove
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp Brer Rabbit Dark Molasses (use light for lighter cookie per recipe)
    1 cup hot water

cream shortening and sugar, add egg; beat well. Shift together flour and other dry ingredients, then combine molasses and water. Add alternately with flour mixture to creamed mixture. Mix well.

Pour into greased 9 inch square pan.

Bake at 350 F for 50 to 60 minutes

Cool five minutes and remove from pan.

Can be served with shipped cream or powdered sugar. Variation: frost with white frosting and sprinkle with generously with coconut.

I condensed the directions just a bit, but otherwise this is pretty much as in on the label. I may make this in the next few days and report back on it.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Default Carob Brownies (from a 1970's carbob box)

[These days carob is harder to find in commercial products and its use is more limited to those of us who really can't eat much or any chocolate; but that's kind of sad. The problem really was that in the 1970's, carob was sold as a "health" version of chocolate, and not only do we now know that chocolate itself is very healthy (if you don't have an allergy like I do) and that while carob can be used in place of chocolate in many recipes; it does not in fact taste like it. It does however, have a very nice taste; and these brownies are pretty good. You can use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 white for a lighter version. Just white flour means you need to adjust the liquid a bit. The use of honey or Molasses makes them a good keeper for cooking from preps.- DC]

Carob Brownies - cica 1970 (from a carob box or leaflet)

2 eggs separated
    1 cup honey or molasses
    *1/3 cup corn oil
    1 TBS Pero (or instant coffee) dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1 cup carob powder
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 to 1 1/2 cups nuts

preheat oven to 350 F

Beat egg yolks and add sweetner, oil, Pero mixture, vanilla, mix well

Mix flour, carob, and salt, then pour wet ingredients into dry, mixing thoroughly.

Mix in nuts (if using)

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold into batter.

Pour into a lightly oiled 11 x 7 baking pan and bake for apx 45 minutes.

Copyright 1976 by Natural Recipies, 150 Barbara Rd, Waltham, MA 02154

*Note in the 1970's almost all "health" recipes used either oil or shortening, you can probably use melted butter or lard instead.

Also, the use of beaten egg whites was much more common as a way to raise baked goods, than it is today.

If I were making this now, I would probably add at least 1/2 tsp of baking soda or baking powder (soda if using molasses) just to lighten it up a little.

I remember these as being very dense and chewy, which is nice sometimes; but the entire whole wheat version with no baking soda or powder was too heavy for my taste and needed ice cream or something to make it edible.

Default Rolls or Coffee Cake - Ann Page All Purpose Flour

[Another scrap cut from the side of the bag and still in my recipe box from my first or second apartment (so dates from 1978-1982 ish) The bag was blue, red and white and said "All Purpose Flour" on it, I probably used this when first learning to bake bread, all those years ago...DC]

Rolls or coffeecake - Basic Beaten Batter
    [makes 18 rolls or 2, 8 inch square or 2, 9 inch coffee cakes

3 1/4 Cups enriched Anne Page All Purpose Flour
    1 Package Dry Yeast
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup oil
    1 tsp salt
    2 eggs

Stir together 1 cup flour and yeast. Heat milk, water, sugar, oil and salt over a low heat only until warm, stirring to blend. Add liquid ingredients to four-yeast mixture and beat until smooth about 2 minutes on medium spped of electric mixer or 300 strokes by hand. Blend in eggs. Add 1 cup flour and beat 1 minute on medium speed or 150 strokes by hand. Stir in more flour to make a thick batter.

Cover and let wise in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees) until light and bubbly about 1 hour.

Stir down

Shape dough into desired rolls or coffee cake.

Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled (about 30 minutes)

Bake in pre-heated oven 375 degrees for 25 to 25 minutes or until done.

Remove from pans immediately.

Some modern notes: this recipe is from the days when it was assumed that if you were baking bread products, you had some idea what you were doing. You need to add enough flour to make rolls, and this may mean kneading a bit more flour in after it sets the first time. Coffee cakes can be poured, so they would not need more flour and kneading unless they are way to runny.

Also, Coffee cakes really need a topping (not added in these instructions because the author figures the house-wife knows this already). You can get as simple as just spreading some butter with cinnamon and sugar before baking; or get fancy with sliced fruits, strusels, chopped nuts and even icing (after it cooks).

Default German Sweet Chocolate Cake

From my Aunt (appeared on Baker's Sweet Chocolate Package in 1958. I thought of my Aunt when I saw your OP and asked for her favorite.

German Sweet Chocolate Cake
    1-4 ounce package Baker's German Sweet Chocolate
    1/2 cup boiling water
    2 1/2cups sifted Swans Down Cake Flour*
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup butter or margarine
    2 cups sugar
    4 egg yolks
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup buttermilk
    4 egg whites

*or use 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour

Melt chocolate in boiling water; cool. Sift flour with soda and salt. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Blend in vanilla and melted chocolate. Add flour mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, beating after each addition until smooth. Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks; fold into batter. Pour batter into three 9-inch layer pans which have been lined on bottoms with paper. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, until cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center. Cool cake in pans 15 minutes and remove to rack to cool. Spread filling and frosting between and on top of cake. Note: This delicate cake will have a flat slightly surgary top crust which tends to crack.

Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting
    1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
    1 cup sugar
    3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 1/3 cup (about) Baker's Angel Flake or Premium Shredded Coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add coconut and pecans. Cool until of spreading consistancy, beating occasionally.
    Makes 2 1/2 cups or enough to cover tops of three 9-inch layers.
    Note: For thinner frosting, use only 2 egg yolks.
    Last edited by maddymae; 07-23-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo

Yes Disastercat, you are correct, the pie crust recipe was from my home economics class as a freshman at Huntinton Beach High School about 1947.

Thanks Mom, that's what I thought; is your chili recipe from the same class?- I was going to put it up next, along with several of my variations. So many people these days start out not knowing how to cook at all, and it is a nice, simple version starting with dried beans. It is way to bland for me; but perfect as a starting point or introduction to cooking with beans.

Maddymae, I just re-read your post and I think the cake part may just be what some of those US Hersey bars turn into for husband. I skimmed over it before, because the same way he hates nuts in Toll House cookies (though he likes them in other things) he hates coconut period. But, the cake part looks really yummy and I could just use my killer Chocolate Frosting recipe from the 1956 Joy of Cooking (I'll try and post that later, since I don't think it is in the current editions and I'll give copy write).

Limner, carob over here is starting to get easier to find again; especially now that we have the Eco Village in the village next door (which many on this list might find a problem, but I think adds a wonderful and "quirky" mix of people to our rural area). A lot of village members have one US or Canadian member of their couple and they moved here with their "alternative" food views, which included everything from back yard chicken raising to vegan eating. All of which makes for more stuff wanted on demand and a local Irish family has opened a shop to cater to their needs (and will deliver to my house). *Note not all are vegan, one local farmer is now producing free range meat and got a butcher's license because he can now sell direct from his farm, he hopes to take my husband hunting soon.

I've already talked to the lovely lady who owns it about getting carob in bulk so I can cook with it more often again. Husband admitted that even though he was over-dosed on both Carob and whole wheat cookies as a child in the 70's (he's 10 years younger than me so was a tween when I was struggling with most of these recipes in my first apartment learning to cook) he actually likes carob as long as we don't pretend it is chocolate. Ditto, he will eat my fresh ground whole wheat flour from the country living grain mill; as long as he doesn't have to eat it after the first day when it becomes dry.

I want to try making my honey-carob brownies again but with some baking soda to see if they are lighter and less like bricks.

Finally, note for anyone cooking this stuff outside of the US and Canada (anywhere where the Brits influenced cooking, including New Zealand etc). US baking soda and British Baking soda is different and will not work in most US recipes. That's why sometimes grandma's scones from the County Wexford don't turn out quite the same. Ditto Irish Soda breads, etc...

Lucky for us ex-pats, the Asians learned their US style baking from US GI's after WWII so just about any Asian Market will have Arm and Hammer. While most Irish/Scottish/UK Import stores will have the proper soda for making Soda breads and scones.

Thankfully, for those in the US; the UK to US recipes do work, but are just not quite the same. But US to UK recipes turn out to be nasty tasting, yellow and taste of metal, if you use UK soda in them.

More recipes later, hopefully today...

Thank you for the recipes DC!

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    [Instructions are shorter, because I just did the cliff notes version, but the ingredient lists are correct, since I know how to make cookies; I often skip most of the details - DC]

Nestle Toll House Cookies (from the side of the bag-pre shrinkage)

2 1/4 cups flour
    1tsp salt
    1 cup butter (soft)
    3/4 cup w sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cups either sugar)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 lg eggs
    2 cups chocolate chips
    (if you use newer bags, you need to buy 2 bags or a super sized bag)
    1 cup nuts (optional, my husband hates them so we don't)

Cook at 375 for about 12 minutes, or you can spread out on a one sheet as bar cookies and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.

I usually mix together all dry ingredients and put to the side. Now cream butter and sugar together (electric mixer, food processor or with a spoon).

Add eggs and vanilla and mix some more

Slowly add dry ingredients (keep stirring if possible), when mixed, gently stir in chips and nuts.

These do better if you break the rules and let them sit at least five minutes before removing from the cookie sheet, they also do better on no-stick sheets and I've tried it both ways.

If using a food processor these turn out lovely but different as even pulsing will chop the chips some, my husband likes them that way; but today I used my new kitchen aid mixer and got more traditional results. If you are low on butter, you can use 1/2 lard or shortening but they taste a bit different.
    Did you forget the 1 tsp baking soda or was it not on the pkg anymore? Just wondering 'cause my old recipe calls for it. Or, maybe I'm just not seeing it? (need more coffee, lol?)

Also, I have a 1967 recipe for Original Nestle Toll House Cookies and it calls for 1/2 tsp water. They dropped the water in the early '80's--I remember because we had just moved into this house and I was getting used to the humidity and new oven so my cookies didn't turn out. I called the company to ask if not adding the water made a difference. :) Apparently it doesn't, since none of their bag recipes calls for water anymore and it was just such a slight amount.

Old recipes are almost always the best, imo. I collect old cookbooks and pamphlets published by food companies and use the old recipes more than I use newer ones. :)

OOPPSSS YES I can't edit this but if the mods can please do!!!

You need 1/2 tsp baking soda - I will try to copy and re-post since it is long past the editing time. I don't think you need the water but without the baking soda it would be more like a short-bread.

Glad you caught that one!

DC