Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Make your own oxygen absorbers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    HardScrabble County, MN
    Posts
    536

    Default Make your own oxygen absorbers

    FINALLY, I came across someone confirming what I suspected already.
    O2 absorber is a simple chemical reaction. Rusting Iron absorbs oxygen as it rusts.

    > snip< http://www.offthegridnews.com/letters-to-the-editor/...If you choose to make your own absorbers:
    It will take about 6 grams of iron filings and 6 grams of sea salt for a 5/6 gal bucket. Mix the two elements together and place in a small paper envelope. Put 2 to 4 drops of water on the envelope just before it is placed in the grain. There is enough moisture in the grain to keep this process going for a long time if the bucket isn’t perfectly sealed.

    This process is perfectly safe. The salt rapidly converts the Iron (Fe) to Iron Oxide (FeO, or Fe2O3). The oxygen is all tied up with the iron, thus leaving a near oxygen-free environment so the grain won’t oxidize. It is almost the same as nitrogen-packed; 78% of the air is nitrogen and that is about the only thing left when the oxygen is gone...
    > snip <
    Not just the COST of o2 absorbers, but the HASSLE and limited shelf life of trying to use just a few at a time.
    And what do you do when tshtf and no more mail-order survival suppliers?

    Iron filings/ $7.00 USD - One pound http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Iro...1lb-P6370.aspx
    One pound should be enough to do 75 5 gal. buckets

    I remember in a magnet book I had as a young scientist, they showed how to MAKE iron filings/dust.
    Put STEEL WOOL in a glass jar with some bleach. cover and let sit a day or 2. The steel wool will rust into dust.
    To remove the oxygen that's combined with the iron, you heat it in a sturdy spoon, cast iron pan, etc. over a gas flame until it turns black.

    ------------------------------
    If you add some powdered charcoal and sawdust to the iron & salt, you have the ingredients for those chemical pocket/hand warmers.
    Don in MN

    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

    "...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

    ~
    II Timothy 1:12b


    ~






  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Eastern Mass.
    Posts
    2,041

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not yet where I want to be...
    Posts
    4,243

    Default

    Thank You Don!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New World Order HQ
    Posts
    760

    Default

    Thank you for the information. It couldn't have come at a better time. ;-]
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7777&dateline=1296255  909 Just exactly WHEN, is the law so corrupted that it is immoral to obey it ?
    Citizens of Nazi Germany failed to answer that question correctly. Will the citizens of 21stCentury America do the same ?
    Or will they regain control of their government before it is too late ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    HardScrabble County, MN
    Posts
    536

    Default ummm.... wait a minute..

    Doing a little more searching on this diy o2 absorbers.

    So far I've found mixed reports on this. Of course, O2 absorber manufacturers & sellers aren't going to promote diy and some could even provide dis-info

    One "positive"
    http://www.truthistreason.net/how-to...r-food-storage

    One "not so sure"
    http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...p?topic=2272.0

    I'm not really convinced either of these were adequate to prove it one way or the other.
    I believe I read somewhere that steel wool often has a very light OIL coating it to prevent rust in storage. But maybe not. I do know that when iron oxidizes, it DOES consume oxygen. And salt enhances the effect.


    I'm going to test this myself tonight, a couple different ways.
    Will report any findings.

    Doninmn
    Don in MN

    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

    "...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

    ~
    II Timothy 1:12b


    ~






  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a galaxy far,far away....
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Doing a little more searching on this diy o2 absorbers.

    So far I've found mixed reports on this. Of course, O2 absorber manufacturers & sellers aren't going to promote diy and some could even provide dis-info

    One "positive"
    http://www.truthistreason.net/how-to...r-food-storage

    One "not so sure"
    http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...p?topic=2272.0

    I'm not really convinced either of these were adequate to prove it one way or the other.
    I believe I read somewhere that steel wool often has a very light OIL coating it to prevent rust in storage. But maybe not. I do know that when iron oxidizes, it DOES consume oxygen. And salt enhances the effect.


    I'm going to test this myself tonight, a couple different ways.
    Will report any findings.

    Doninmn
    I think the difference in your first post and the last one is iron filings are different animals from steel wool. There will be a larger surface area with the iron filings. Thus a quicker and more complete chemical reaction. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    HardScrabble County, MN
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I.C.O.E.B.G. View Post
    I think the difference in your first post and the last one is iron filings are different animals from steel wool. There will be a larger surface area with the iron filings. Thus a quicker and more complete chemical reaction. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Yes.
    One article mentioned the iron filings (very fine) are mixed with plastic "grains" in commercial o2absorbers to provide max surface area and space between the pellets for air-flow.
    Don in MN

    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

    "...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

    ~
    II Timothy 1:12b


    ~






  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a galaxy far,far away....
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    Yes.
    One article mentioned the iron filings (very fine) are mixed with plastic "grains" in commercial o2absorbers to provide max surface area and space between the pellets for air-flow.
    You would think with thousands of members we have here, one would work at a plant that makes these things and give us the skinny.
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    HardScrabble County, MN
    Posts
    536

    Default Bad for business

    Quote Originally Posted by I.C.O.E.B.G. View Post
    You would think with thousands of members we have here, one would work at a plant that makes these things and give us the skinny.
    What?! And have all the Self-Sufficient-Survivalists putting up their dry food WITHOUT being dependent on Just-In-Time Survival shopping?

    400 lbs grain for 10 people = 4000 pounds

    38 lbs wheat per 5 gallon bucket = 106 buckets

    Times 7* years = 742 buckets, 742 mylar bags, 742 O2 absorbers
    Don in MN

    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

    "...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

    ~
    II Timothy 1:12b


    ~






  10. #10

    Talking

    Thank you Mr Wizard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •