Thread: Canning beans question

Default Canning beans question

I tried the baked beans recipe in the "old beans" thread (thanks by the way), but making my first batch, I forgot to add the water to the beans! It was my first time ever canning, and I didn't see it in the recipe.

My question: since the lids are sealed, can I just open the jars, add water and recan, with new lids? I hate to throw them out, and the beans did cook, but they really need the water. thanks, all
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

I wouldn't. Beans are so dense, and then they may get very mushy. And the heat may not distribute evenly. I would open them all, add the water, and freeze them. Or eat as many as you can and share with your neighbors.

Oh, boy...

I'm really concerned about the safety of those beans... without the water, the denseness of the product is MUCH different than it would have been with water. How long were they processed for?

Summerthyme

thanks, ladies. I guess I'll put them in the freezer. I'm just learning and I was nervous about using the canner properly. The second batch looks great.

Summerthyme~ I processed quarts at 15 lbs. for 75 min. I opened one jar, and the beans were pretty much soft but not quite there. I'd rather be safe than sorry though.

On the other hand, I'm really happy about the 6 pints of boneless skinless chicken breats I canned too . I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the canner now. Applesauce is next, when I have the time. Thanks for the advice!
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

They should be safe, but yeah... I'd freeze them and use them up.

We've all goofed... if you're new to canning, it may help to write out the recipes on the computer in a "step 1, step 2" type way, and then laminate the recipe sheet so you can have it on the table while you're working. You can even use the "dry erase" type markers to cross out or check off each step as you complete it on the laminate, and then wipe it off when you're done.

It gets a lot easier as you practice.

summerthyme

summerthyme,

Thanks for the really good idea!

Yeah, just freeze them; they will probably make great "mashed" re-fried style beans, that you can put in tortillas.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

I was also thinking about this tread again this morning and realized that if they are too mushy, you can also make fried bean balls with them.

A friend who is allergic to wheat makes these with either corn meal or spelt, but you can use wheat flour as well.

These directions are not precise because you have to experiment, but give you an idea of what to do.

Take some cooked beans (say 1 to 2 cups)

Add some thickener (up to 1/2 of the amount of beans - flour, corn meal, spelt etc)

(up to 1/2 bread crumbs works really well, you can also use crumbled corn bread or even cookies/cakes for sweet versions)

Spice to taste (if the beans are plane, you can even make these sweet by adding sugar and cinnamon, but more common would be chili powder, garlic etc)

1/2 to 1 tsp of baking powder or baking soda (optional, but makes it lighter)

Put in a food processor (or mash very well by hand with a potato masher)

Roll into 1 inch balls (you can add more or less water if mixture is too thick or too thin)

Lay on a plate or cookie sheet and chill at least 1 hour to over night.

Now: either heat oil to deep frying temperature and fry several balls at a time (taste the best, but also higher in calories and fat - use a high heat oil like corn oil)

Or: slightly push down the balls to flatten into a oval shape, spray with olive oil spray (or other cooking oil spray) and put in hot (400 degree) oven for apx 20 to 30 minutes or until done. They may crack a little, but they should be fine. These tend to be dryer than the deep friend version and do better with a sauce like salsa, mustard, yoghurt sauce is one of my favorites.

Alternative version, instead of making balls; form into flat patties, then chill and cook in small amount of oil in a frying pan (or even grill). Makes "bean patties" which can be used as is on in sandwiches; great if you have a vegetarian family member at the bar-ba-que.

Another Alternative: instead of forming balls, leave as a paste and keep it in the fridge. Keeps for up to a week and can be used as a sandwich spread or on top of baked potatoes etc. Again, good prep food or vegetarian alternative.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats