Thread: Tomato/Bread Salad (Panzanella) Out of Tuscany

Default Tomato/Bread Salad (Panzanella) Out of Tuscany

A great way to use up some of those tomatoes.I took a pic of the salad. It isn't completed yet. You put the bread in, and let it sit for an hour. I would not let it sit any longer.

Out of the Williams-Sonoma Cookbook, Essentials of Italian

Panzanella
    This hearty salad originated as a way to use up stale bread. Traditionally, the bland, salt-free bread of Tuscany is used. The drier the bread, the more absorbent it is, which means it will soak up more of the tomato juices and dressing. Serve this salad on a warm evening in late summer when tomatoes are at their peak.

2 large ripe tomatoes, but into bite-size pieces
    1 small English cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and slices
    1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
    1 cup fresh basil leaves torn into small pieces
    1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
    Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
    6-8 slices day-old coarse country bread

In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion and torn basil. Drizzle with the olive oil and 3 tablespoons vinegar and season with the salt and pepper. Toss well to coat evenly.

Cut or tear the bread into bite-sized pieces. Place half of the break in a wide shallow serving bowl. Spoon on half of the tomato mixture. layer the remaining bread on top and then the remaining tomatoe mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

I assume you that after an hour you throw the juice-soaked bread away?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Or the next morning. Whichever comes first
    We had this tonight at a friends for dinner. It was excellent. And she served Salmon, so it was a nice side dish.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

It looks very good. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    no. you eat the bread.

its bite sized pieces that soak up the juices and get flavorful. basically the bread is like soft croutons. the recipe can be done with hard croutons, you just need to wait to serve until they are softened a bit. whatever bread flavor and consistency you use does affect the mouth feel and its just a matter of personal preference how you like it.

its definitely good home cooking tho-you just cant package this stuff up, and sell it commercially. it has to be assembled shortly before use. slimy bread-not so good...leftovers are kinda crummy unless you really chop them fine and use with cheese as a toasted bruschetta. IMO its best kept cool and then pt on the table just before the meal.

this same recipe or something very close is awesome with drained, large-dice smoked anchovies, or even sardines. for some odd reason the flavor profile works extremely well with the preserved oily fishes. leftover seafood works great, including shellfish.

another variation that I personally prefer is the addition of cheese- as little as some coarse grated parmesan. up to fresh goat cheeses, small chunks of mozzarella or the more familiar greek twist of feta with added fresh or dried marjoram oregano and thyme, preferably with a bolder olive oil and finishd with a squeeze of lemon. another option for variation is addition of peppers.

experiment! variations are endless and fun....

bellissimo!

my step mother is italian.....
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

My girlfriend and her son, both ate the salad, and commented that they liked it.
    LMonty, thanks for the variations. I will be trying them.