Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing Minute Rice Long Term?

Default Storing Minute Rice Long Term?

Does anyone have a reason why you can't store Minute Rice long term? It doesn't take as much time and fuel to prepare as does regular rice. I was thinking of storing some to use in a quick fix "mode".

I don't know about the commercial Minute Rice, but I make my own and it stores great. I fixed some last night that was over 2 years old and it was fine.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

How do you keep yours stored, Belle? I have around 200 lbs. of regular white rice in one of my freezers, so don't have room for storing the instant rice in there.

When I'm dehydrating something and know that I won't have enough to fill up the dehydrator I cook some rice and fill up the extra trays with it.

I've just been keeping it in large glass jars. So far so good.
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.

Why would you store WHITE rice in the freezer? I can see freezing it briefly to kill off any bugs/eggs, but I've stored it without any "extras" (IOW, just in plastic ice cream containers- the heavy "Schwans" type) for 10 years without a problem. By 12 years, it was getting a little "off", so got fed to the chickens).

This is in a cool basement, but given any sort of reasonable storage conditions, if you use mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, I'd say white rice should store pretty well indefinitely.

Brown rice is another animal entirely, and I gave up long ago on storing it. I buy what we'll use in 6 months. I just can't use valuable freezer or fridge room on rice. And I note that even the "long term storage" folks like Walton Feed don't sell brown rice, so that tells me that even under optimum conditions, it just doesn't store well.

Minute rice should be fine, but if you want it to last for several years, investing in mylar and O2 absorbers would be a good bet.

Summerthyme

Thanks Summer for the advice on the brown rice! The reason I store the white rice in the freezer is that I had kept a few small bags on the shelf, and it got bugs in it! I didn't freeze it first. So, since I had an extra freezer, I have stored all my rice, flour, corn meal, plus gravy mixes in it. I don't have a lot of extra room in my house, so thought that would be a good place to store it plus keep all the bugs out. I have another freezer to store meat, butter, and cheese. Both are full. So, can I just put the Minute Rice in glass jars and seal for about a year or longer without it getting too old? Like I said, I don't have any room left to store supplies and preps in my house, it's full! LOL....It's almost to the point that I feel like we're living inside a pantry!

Sure, but because you live in the deep South, you really should freeze it first.

O2 absorbers inside sealed mylar bags take care of any potential bug problems because they take away the oxygen the critters need to live. Even if a few hatch, they don't grow or breed.

What I'd do is pull out a couple bags of white rice from the freezer and put them in some rigid (bugs can eat through plastic bags) containers- glass jars, HEAVY plastic canisters, or put the bags in those big metal popcorn tins they sell around the holidays. Then put the Minute Rice in the freezer for a week or two to kill off any beasties. After that, it should store just fine in glass canning jars...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    How do you keep yours stored, Belle? I have around 200 lbs. of regular white rice in one of my freezers, so don't have room for storing the instant rice in there.
    I store mine in glass jars (or plastic peanut butter jars) in a rubbermaid cabinet (with doors, so it's dark). No oxygen absorbers or vacuum sealing, just screw on the lid.

I dehydrate it on a fairly hot setting, after cooking like you would noodles, with only salt added (no oil or butter, just boil and drain), so any bug eggs that might have been in it are dead. The glass jars keep mature bugs out.

I make and store instant brown rice the same way. I know there's a risk of rancidity with that, but I've never seen it, even after storing it for more than 2 years. Could be that my cooking method washes out and drains off a lot of the oil in the brown rice.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    Thanks Summer for the advice on the brown rice! The reason I store the white rice in the freezer is that I had kept a few small bags on the shelf, and it got bugs in it! I didn't freeze it first. So, since I had an extra freezer, I have stored all my rice, flour, corn meal, plus gravy mixes in it. I don't have a lot of extra room in my house, so thought that would be a good place to store it plus keep all the bugs out. I have another freezer to store meat, butter, and cheese. Both are full. So, can I just put the Minute Rice in glass jars and seal for about a year or longer without it getting too old? Like I said, I don't have any room left to store supplies and preps in my house, it's full! LOL....It's almost to the point that I feel like we're living inside a pantry!
    Sherree, what I"ve done, to extend and better use what freezer space I have, is to put all my grains in ziplock bags and froze them that way, as my freezer was too small to do this all at one time. It would be easier to freeze all 50lbs at once but the ziplocks (with a bay leaf in it, to help with critters), are much easier for my arthritic hands to deal with. I had to freeze a few bags at a time, rotating to add new bags as I pulled the frozen ones out. Once all the previously frozen grains are thawed, I put the ZL bags, with a corner slightly open, into the vac seal bags, and sucked the air out of both bags at the same time. If you don't have or want to buy a vac sealer, then buy the mylar
    bags and oxygen absorbers, to help preserve what's inside for a long time. YOu must do one or the other for long term storage as oxygen is the enemy of long term stored food, as it heat. Once I did this, it left much more room in the freezer for meat, as the set feed prices are due to expire and meat will soon be unaffordable. Ever seen Soylent Green? Anyway, do the same thing to flour, corn meal, semolina, oats, and anything like that. All is vac sealed in individual ziplock bags, with a bay leaf, and put in 5 gal containers. That way if one bag in that container, is compromised for any reason, the other bags should be fine. Meat, garden seeds, yeast are all in the freezer. That way you can store more meat as it goes on sale and believe me when I say that meat will go skyhigh. Good luck.

Anyone store rice in empty (rinsed and dried) 2 liter pop bottles? I've heard they make an ideal storage container, but haven't done it personally.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne