Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peeling tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    You can do the same thing with peaches.
    Does this soften them up a lot? If not, sounds like a winner to me too.
    I bought peach (and fruit trees) trees for our kids. They are producing like crazy they tell me. We do love peaches.

I always had a problem with the flavor of frozen tomatoes. They end up tasting like store bought. If I am going to freeze them, I cook them first to protect the flavor. But the concept also works for grapes if you decide to do dehydrating (raisins). It's easier than splitting them one by one, or poking holes one by one.

I've not tried this but I know someone who did. She washes them and puts them into the jars peeling and all, adds her boiling water and salt. Then when she's ready to use them, the skins slip right off. She says it's much easier to do it that way when you have a big job to do. Then, when you do skin them for use, it's a little job.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

This may sound silly or something to you REAL cooks, but I like fresh, peeled tomatoes in a salad. I poke 'em with a fork on the stem end and hold them stuck on the fork over a gas burner of a range. Takes only seconds. The skin cracks, curls a little and peels off in a whiz. The tomato doesn't even get very warm and will cool off quickly.

I have an electric stove now, so I'll have to go back to the boiling water I guess.

Or--bright idea--my propane BBQ has a flame burner on the side, come to think about it, I can go peel my 'maters outdoors!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

I don't peel my tomatoes, because there are tons of vitamins, in the skins. grind them up and eat them.
    momof23goats