Thread: HAM HOCkS WANTED!

Default HAM HOCkS WANTED!

Hi All! Im in the mood for Smoked Ham Hocks........ My Mom taught me cooking from an early age.... but I only have one recipe for ham hocks..... I will share mine ..... if you have any recipes please share too.....

Not precise instructions but you get the point....

Brown smoked hocks in pressure cooker, after add cut up potatoes and sauerkraut...... and cook at 10# for 20 or 30 minutes...... salt pepper..... dig in...... Moms is great, mine is just okay.........

any ideas from the pros?

My goto recipe for smoked hamhocks is with a big ol' pot of beans.

No recipe needed.

Seems like I remember hearing an oldie about ham hocks and collard greens somewhere, but I don't like collards, so I didn't pay much attention.

I recently purchased 50# of hamhocks and smoked about 1/3 of them. Split the rest in two parts and froze them for my mom and aunt. They were like kids in a candy store.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Just read up on one on that site Chickensintheroad. It is with beans, so look under recipes, then beans and you should find it easily. Looked very tasty!
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Put ham hocks ,1 diced large onion , green beans ,& enough water to go about 2 inches over the top of the ingredients. Cook on med heat till hocks are tender. Once hocks are tender add diced potatos, cook another 15 minutes till potatos are fork tender.

If you have any greens seasoning I usually throw a couple of teaspoons worth in , or any cajun seasoning.
    ?

We use pork ribs instead of ham hocks for saur kraut and potatoes. My old Presto cook book says to put a little brown sugar on the kraut. Brown ribs then put potatoes in first, then kraut, then ribs.

Usually we use hocks for our lentil soup. season like bean soup. Or use black eyed peas. Good stuff.

Usually use pork steaks browned then put in cubed rutabagas and potatoes with steaks on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Mash up potatoes and rutabagas on your plate and drench with worcestershire sauce. For some reason cooking with the sauce does not ad any flavor so add it to the plated food. Cook about 20 to 25 minutes in pressure cooker.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Lightbulb Ham and Pintos

Southern Style Ham and Pintos
    Ingredients
    • 3 lbs. smoked Ham hocks
    • 2 lbs. dried pinto beans
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less to taste)
    • 1/2 medium chopped onion
    Directions
    To speed up cooking of beans and reduce the gas beans produce, soak beans in cold water overnight or for three hours during the day. Rinse and then place in pot with 1 cup water.
    Boil pinto beans and ham hocks on high heat for 45 minutes. Add all seasonings except hot sauce and onion. Continue boiling for 20 minutes. Add, hot sauce, and onion. Boil on medium heat until beans are done to taste.
    Serve with rice and a meat side dish. You can also use the ham hocks as your meat side dish.
    • Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God”
    The Apostle Paul told us to not worry about anything.
    What should we do instead of worrying?
    1. Pray for what you need as well as for what you want.
    2. Tell God that you are thankful for what he has already given you.
    3. Request from God everything you need for the day, every day.
    Libertatem a Calumnia (Freedom from Oppression)

Oh that sounds so good, but they are very hard to get and expensive here. I use bacon in my beans to try an make up for the flavor of the wonderful ham hocks. I know....it isn't the same but it has to do. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

I forgot to add that in mine, I add to tase some dark brown sugar.