Thread: Tomato Pie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tomato Pie

I am going to make this for my dad's birthday dinner, among other goodies...I think it sounds wonderful! I would bet most of you have already made something like this but I never have and plan on trying other variations as well :)

body
    Ingredients

• 1 (9 inch) deep dish pie crust
    • 4 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
    • 1/2 pound bacon - cooked, drained, and chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    • 1/4 cup mayonnaise

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. In alternating layers, fill pastry shell with tomatoes, basil, scallions, bacon, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper. In a small bowl, mix cheese with mayonnaise. Spread mixture over top of pie. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil from top of pie and bake an additional 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.

If you have an over abundance of tomatoes, this is THE best way to use quite a few. I've added yellow and zucchini squash to change it up, and onions...LOTS of onions if you love them as much as we do...you can add virtually anything to this recipe along with the tomatoes.

DH can't get enough of this...you are just going to love it! Sometimes I use "pizza ingredients" with the tomatoes, almost like a deep dish pizza...use lots of mozz like you would on a pizza...so many ways to make this...so little time! LOL!

Enjoy! It's so easy to make and feeds many.
    Old enough to remember

Do you find it is just easiest to blanche the tomatoes first to peel them?

I've never peeled an unblanched one, I guess! LOL

Already have the pie crust defrosting. Should go well with the swedish (deer) meatballs tonight!
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Nah, we don't even bother to peel them...just slice 'em up and slap 'em in the pie shell. We're not fussy, but some don't care for the peel, so yes, you'd have to blanch them first....either way, it's a winner of a meal...even cooks up great in the solar oven.
    Old enough to remember

FYI - THIS WAS FANTASTIC!!! I added onions, garlic (of course! ) and some leftover yellow zucc's, and DH ate half the pie himself!

He says to me "Usually those non dessert pies have no flavor, but this is crazy good!"

And there you have it.

It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonemom View Post
    FYI - THIS WAS FANTASTIC!!! I added onions, garlic (of course! ) and some leftover yellow zucc's, and DH ate half the pie himself!

He says to me "Usually those non dessert pies have no flavor, but this is crazy good!"

And there you have it.

YAY!! I'm excited now!

I've made a fairly generic version before and it was a little boring.

This doesn't sound boring...and thanks for the testimonial Cyclone!

I'll try it this weekend!