Thread: Diabetic cooking/recipes

Default Diabetic cooking/recipes

After reading the thread on the food stamp recipients in Alabama, I realized there are a lot of us diabetics on the board! I know everyone is different, and high blood sugar can be triggered by a food in one person but not in another. For example, I can't handle any sort of coffee creamer-- but my DH can; some folks can eat beans without a raise in blood sugar, some can't.
    Here's what I eat nearly every day: 1-2 lean proteins, usually 1 beef, fish or chicken and the other is 1 or 2 eggs, usually hard-boiled. I also have 2-3 servings of vegetables, almost always roasted in olive oil & a little kosher salt, wrapped in foil & roasted until I can smell it cooking. I cook by smell, go figure I save fruit for when my BS is on the low side, or I'm very hungry. Eating like this, I've lost 18 lbs in the past 2 months, and my 30 day BS average is 125. Cholesterol is beyond great-- I think it's all the vegetables!
    So, what do you do for meals, especially low-cost ones?
    Last edited by Hermantribe; 08-28-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling *sigh*
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

Hi Kate,

Count me in. I became a Type 1 with adult onset (and DKA).

Oh my, I am sorry to hear about the creamer- I am a coffee creamer addict, and thankfully it has no effect on my numbers at all. I think one of my very first questions was if I could still just have only my coffee in the morning, and my doc. said yes.
    One thing I originally thought strange was that ice cream had far less effect than bread on me, but I found that to be the case in general with me.

I would say I go by a similiar plan as you. I like to use green salads really loaded with fish or chicken, cheese, maybe a few olives, tomato, onion, and a bit of cruton. My favorite is salmon on salad with black olives, mozzarella, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Not really low cost on that one, but I find filling and tasty.

You know, I just now realized that there are 2 diabetics and 3 hypoglycemics in my family. And if things happen, they are coming to my house. And I will be feeding them.

Not to derail the thread, but if there are diabetic friendly recipes that are food storage safe, I'd love to see them!

Jazzy, that recipe sounds wonderful, and I don't even like salmon! I bet it could be made "storage friendly". So many foods are high in carbs because it stores so well. It's funny how some good foods, like oatmeal, will raise BS temporarily, but I've noticed mine will go back down by itself after a couple of hours. Oatmeal makes a great storage food, and stevia or agave nectar would be good sweetening choices. Drats on the creamer though!
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.