Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salsa from the Blue Book?

Default Salsa from the Blue Book?

Has anyone tried and liked the recipe on page 12? Called Simple House Salsa? I got the tomatoes today and will finish the shopping in the AM at the grocery. I just wanted to see if any had tried it and is it good? It sure does look good, but didn't want to waste all of my tomatoes if it wasn't =). Thanks!
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

I use the "Zesty Salsa" recipe in the Blue Book.

Have 53 pints sitting on the counter right now. I'd say we like it! ;)

I will usually add some Real-Lime juice to the recipe for flavor, about 1/4 cup sugar, and sometimes a can of tomato paste if the salsa juice seems thin. (It also helps...once you have the tomatoes chopped...to pour off the water that always collects at the bottom of the pot).

Except for these small additions, which wouldn't detract from the acidity of the salsa, I follow the recipe religiously.

Gooood stuff.

I used the recipe from: http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

I HATE HATE HATE cilantro, and I needed a recipe without it. It came out about medium hot, and we all love it. I have the bLue Book, but I happened to have everything for the other recipe, and I'm glad I tried it.
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

We like the Zesty Salsa from the Blue book too. Sorry I haven't tried the Simple Salsa but I'm sure it's just as good.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln

I make various salsas all the time now, I just leave out the cilantro and add extra oregano and cumin instead - the herbs don't affect the acidity so is personal choice.

I also make a "hot sauce" with similar ingredients, leave out the extra vinegar in many water-bath recipes and run everything through food processor before cooking about 20 minutes - then I PRESSURE Can it for the usual 65 minutes pints 90 minutes quarts. Makes spectacular red sauce for all sorts of dishes.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

It comes out good. For salsa and chips, I still prefer fresh garden tomatoes. Still, I've found Ball's recipe to make a nice "Cooking sauce" I put it in chili, or tacos, etc. I don't like it real hot, so I hold back on the jalapenos.
    Handy and easier to diced up a lot of tomatoes when I don't feel like peeling, running through the food mill, etc.
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

well I decided to go with the Zesty recipe. I picked up the extra items at the grocery today, so I will report back.

Question though. Could I cut up everything today, put in baggies in frig, then do all the cooking, processing, tomorrow AM? Reason why, I didn't get much sleep last night and must lay down before the kids get out of school.
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh19717 View Post
    well I decided to go with the Zesty recipe. I picked up the extra items at the grocery today, so I will report back.

Question though. Could I cut up everything today, put in baggies in frig, then do all the cooking, processing, tomorrow AM? Reason why, I didn't get much sleep last night and must lay down before the kids get out of school.
    Don't know why not. They get cooked, so it won't really matter if they get a little limp.

Don't worry about it. I will often chop up a batch of veggies for salsa and leave it in a covered cooking pot overnight in the fridge. Then I cook and can up the salsa the next day. Chopping those veggies takes a lot of time.

yeah I am getting ready to start on some here. Thanks so much all for all the great tips!
    you can't 'unknow' it"