Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Milk (alternative) Morning Moo

Default Dry Milk (alternative) Morning Moo

I'm looking for something to store long term, The only milk I can get my hands on is instant dry milk at my local store. I use it to cook with but I cold never drink it or use it on cereal. I was thinking about Morning Moo. I have heard it was pretty good. I know it's an alternative to milk but I wouldn't mind using it, if it taste good. Anyone try it?

I bought a can of the Morning Moos and tried it, I mixed it half and half with regular milk, it worked well. I also bought a can of the Country Fresh 100% instant non-fat powdered milk, I have not tried that yet but heard it tastes better than the Morning Moos. I think either of these would be good to have in the pantry or for storage.

sage
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.

I like this product
    http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Nido-In.../dp/B00032B982
    I actually found this at a bottom dollar in the spanish section.
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

Quote Originally Posted by I.C.O.E.B.G. View Post
    I like this product
    http://www.amazon.com/Nestle-Nido-In.../dp/B00032B982
    I actually found this at a bottom dollar in the spanish section.
    Walmart has it too, but I have never tried it. I like the shelf stable cartons at Dollar Tree, but there are less of them carrying it all the time for some reason. They are only good for about 6 months, but they taste like regular milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
    Walmart has it too, but I have never tried it. I like the shelf stable cartons at Dollar Tree, but there are less of them carrying it all the time for some reason. They are only good for about 6 months, but they taste like regular milk.
    I like it because its whole milk, the only other place that I've seen dried whole milk is at the LDS cannery. This is easier for me to get since I'm not a member of the church.
    Dont piss down my back and tell me its raining!

Default besides dry milk, we

also like to have on hand CANNED MILK, both the evaporated and the "sweetened, condensed milk"
    Mostly the evaporated.
    Easy to use/rotate and I think it tastes better than dry instant or just plain dry.
    Also I like that it's EASY to add a couple cans when at the grocery store,
    AND it goes on sale around the holidays.

Mix 50/50 with water for regular milk.
    Don in MN

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

"...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

~
    II Timothy 1:12b

~

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    also like to have on hand CANNED MILK, both the evaporated and the "sweetened, condensed milk"
    Mostly the evaporated.
    Easy to use/rotate and I think it tastes better than dry instant or just plain dry.
    Also I like that it's EASY to add a couple cans when at the grocery store,
    AND it goes on sale around the holidays.

Mix 50/50 with water for regular milk.

Both Costco and Sam's Club carry 8-can cases of Carnation evap. milk. I love using it for homemade mac and cheese, soups, scalloped potatoes, pumpkin or sweet potato pies. Many, many uses. I bought quite a bit immediately after Fukushima.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll keep evaporated milk on hand and I'll pick up some Nido I think our Walmart carries it. I did find some shelf stable soymilk at the Dollar Tree so I picked up 10. . I read somewhere that the Dollar Tree may stop selling Milk (and Soy milk) because it's getting too expensive to sell for just $1.

We drank carnation instant milk when I was a kid, and then they came out with flavors! The carnation stuff was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than the generic aldi brand at that time.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyknits View Post
    Both Costco and Sam's Club carry 8-can cases of Carnation evap. milk. I love using it for homemade mac and cheese, soups, scalloped potatoes, pumpkin or sweet potato pies. Many, many uses. I bought quite a bit immediately after Fukushima.
    Me too, KittyKnits. I love that stuff. It's especially good for making chicken and dumplings. I use half a can in the chicken broth undiluted and the other half in the dumpling dough. For some reason it makes the dumplings slick and shiney and makes the dumplings hold their shape better. The milk in the broth makes for a lovely sauce. Very rich....almost like using whipping cream. Did you know it can be whipped like whipping cream if very cold?